5:2 diet results?

Options
I've been looking it up because fasting is something that appeals to me, not that 500 calories is fasting lol, but the results seem soooo slow. People said they lost 8 pounds in a month and stuff like that and i'm not up to waiting that long. I'm recovered from AN just about, so i'm pretty much used to the 0:7 and with much less than 500 so i feel this is going to be frustratingly slow. but i am still determined not to let myself relapse so i want to stay healthy. so what are your results like, anything better than 2 pounds a week?? i'm scared that's all i'm gonna get while staying healthy

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    8 lbs a month is NOT slow, and very few people should be looking at losing faster than that. Those that could sustainably lose faster than that are people who are morbidly obese. If yo have 6 lbs to lose, you should be looking at more like 0.5 lbs a week (assuming you do have 6 lbs to lose and some of those profile pictures are pre-recovery rather than current).

Intermittent fasting is also not really recommended for people with a history of eating disorders. Furthermore, the point of intermittent fasting isn't to speed up the rate of loss, but to make it easier for people to stick to a reasonable calorie deficit through different meal timing/frequency. (As well as some potential health benefits that are the subject of research at the moment). It's absolutely not to make it all go faster.

If those profile pictures are all current, and you genuinely feel "big", and you don't like people telling you you look healthy, and you want to look like you did when you were ill.... then I'd urge you to consider the fact that you're not fully recovered yet. Doing fasting of any kind seems far to risky for you imo. :flowerforyou:
  • volatiledreams
    Options
    ack i need to change that, i need to lose more than 6 pounds now. i made this a while ago. how do you change your weight goals?

is 8lbs a month really normal? how does anyone stand that?? i suppose it's better than nothing. yeah all of those photos are pre recovery :P maybe when i look better i'll post a newer one
  • volatiledreams
    Options
    ahah i worked out how to change it dw. any success stories are still much appreciated :D
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    If you are in recovery, I would suggest thinking about getting stronger. You lost a lot of muscle mass while ill. Think about learning to lift some weights and eat in moderation.
    It seems recovery is often about making everyone happy by gaining weight, not by learning to eat healthy foods in the right portions.
    If you can, find a nutritonist who can teach you portion sizes and how to eat mindfully. Go to a free gym trial and explain you want to learn to be strong. Physical strength will help you look slimmer at a higher weight and allow you to eat a bit more.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Don't know, what you are recovering from, but I do know 5:2 is not a quick fix.

It suits me and I have lost 58lbs in 10months using 5:2, running and strength training. This is actually a rather fast rate. 1lb/week on 5:2 is pretty normal. I'm now 9-10lbs from my goal and my losses have slowed quite a bit, from 8lbs/month at the beginning to 2-4 now.

You eat 500cals on two days a week and your TDEE on 5. It works well, but it's not a miracle weightloss formula.

I just looked at your pics. You don't need to lose weight. You need help to get off that AN train you're on.
  • volatiledreams
    Options
    hmmm wow. i suppose people expect to eat a tonne the rest of the time. i might have to try every other day or something similar because a pound a week is basically staying the same
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    hmmm wow. i suppose people expect to eat a tonne the rest of the time. i might have to try every other day or something similar because a pound a week is basically staying the same
    Again, intermittent fasting is not recommended for people with histories of eating disorders. Your comments in this thread, and on your profile, raise several red flags about you actually being in recovery. People doing the 5:2 diet eat at maintenance on those 5 days; not "a tonne". A loss of 1 lb a week is far from "staying the same". Are you receiving any professional help in your recovery process?
  • volatiledreams
    Options
    ha no, they practically kick you out the door when you reach a healthy weight. i know my head's not great and i must come across as such a *****, but my behaviours are at next to none and i've maintained for a long time
  • volatiledreams
    Options
    they blank out swears, that is utterly fantastic. i was on a recovery website that blanked out fat, it was wonderful
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    Hi.

I stumbled on your post as I was looking for information about the 5:2 diet.

Congratulations! Recovery from an eating disorder is a very big deal and required a lot of courage on your part.

I want to echo the concern of others who have commented earlier. I notice the same red flags in some of your language and want to repeat the caution that 5:2 is not intended for people who have dealt with eating disorders. We both know the rush that can come with fasting and the high watching the numbers drop on the scale. This could be a slippery slope for someone recovering from an eating disorder and you need to be especially careful.

Please be sure you are presenting diet options to your MD.

Losing 8 lbs in one month is plenty quick. Doing anything more radical could jeopardize the recovery you have so bravely won. It's just not worth it.