WTF is "Eating Right"?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If It Fits In Your Macros.

all other ways to eat are based on this and an additional restriction.

??? How so. I'd bet that the vast majority of people have no idea of their macronutrient breakdown.
  • monisiaczeq
    monisiaczeq Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    When i tell myself that inbred to eat right again I mean whole, frewuh products, I mean veg and fruits.
    I mean lean meats- chicken turkey, fish. Throw some steak her and there.
    I mean Greek yoghurt, oats. Sweet potato, whole grain bread,
    Whole grain pasta and rice

What I don't mean is processed food-
    Ready made pizzas, sauces in jars,
    Frozen stuff, take aways, anything deep fried etc

But this is my personal opinion
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    because, BACON

^^This, LOL

But really I eat what I like. I no longer eat something because it is good for me. I am 62 and will enjoy the food I eat in much smaller quantities than I did pre-MFP and stay within my daily calorie allowance.

Oh and BTW, it seems to be working for me.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Because God has provided it for me.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    There are Pescatarians.
    There are Vegetarians.
    There are Vegans.
    There are people who eat all kinds of meat.
    There are people out there who don't eat carbs.
    There are people out there who have 'low sodium' diets.

What is right? What works for me may not work for you. How do you know what works for you? How do you know what doesn't? To me, I don't think there is a universal "way to eat". And the question, "Are you eating to live or living to eat?" is a very valid question. WHY do you choose to eat the foods that you eat? Because of studies done that you've read on? Because a celebrity eats that way? Because your doctor told you so?

For my fellow MFP'ers, why do you eat what you eat?

I eat what I eat because I like it. Through cultural conditioning as well as personal life experience I happen to like natural foods and a diet based on whole foods. No one should read anything into that. It is what it is.... and not more.....lol.
    I am also very fortunate, because the only food I am sensitive to is honey and I like everything, except for chicken tripe. Some things I like more than others, but there is nothing I can't eat. Of course I am talking about the average diet and not extremely unusual food items....just in case someone feel they should challenge me by mentioning snake pancreas or hummingbird brain.......o).
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Eating a reasonable amount of calories and getting enough nutritious food at the very least. More specifically getting enough protein, fat and fiber. Beyond that eat whatever you want IMHO.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    My choice of foods makes me satisfied and energetic for life and for workouts.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you are getting your nutrients...vitamins and minerals and meeting your protein and fat requisites, you are eating right. The way people choose to go about that is completely up to them...in that RE, there is no "right"

Hard to argue with this...
    Yup this...
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I eat to meet my nutritional requirements, and I eat because I think food is delicious! I believe there's a place for any kind of food in the context of a balanced diet.

I'm also a vegetarian for personal reasons. I have both gained and lost weight since becoming a vegetarian, so from a weight loss/maintenance perspective, I don't think there is a "right".
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I am vegan because animals are not anyones/mine to use,torture and murder for a moment on my plate

I choose to attempt to participate in the least amount of suffering as I can --including the unfathomable suffering of animals
  • bebreli
    bebreli Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Placing nourishment in mouth..

Consume

End Thread
  • ChrissiQ
    ChrissiQ Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    your body needs protein (including all the essential amino acids), fat (including all the essential fatty acids), carbohydrates

I was with you until the carbs.. you don't actually need carbs, they aren't an essential part of the diet. Most people do eat them though. But your body can function fine without them. There are no essential carbs.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Eating right = eating in a way that support your body's needs, ethics, and lifestyle.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    your body needs protein (including all the essential amino acids), fat (including all the essential fatty acids), carbohydrates

I was with you until the carbs.. you don't actually need carbs, they aren't an essential part of the diet. Most people do eat them though. But your body can function fine without them. There are no essential carbs.

Your body can function without them, but I think whether it can funtion "fine" without them is more up in the air.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Tell that to all of the people who have felt bad-to-disastrous side effects from low-carb diets. I also imagine endurance athletes would disagree.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I eat the way I eat because it tastes good, supports my health needs, and helps me lose weight when I'm cutting or stay stable when I'm maintaining. There are often side goals within those broad boundaries, like having seven-layer dip because it's fun to socialize at a football game or having pizza because I'm celebrating with friends.

I don't really care about whether I'm eating "right," much less whether anyone else is doing so. Eating right just means eating in a way that helps you accomplish your food and health goals; the only time I'd tell someone they needed to change is if the way they were eating was blatantly not assisting them in achieving their goals. (For instance, a sedentary woman who wanted to lose 60 pounds but was eating 3700 calories of mostly junk a day or a heavy lifter looking to gain who was only eating 1000 cal of simple carbs.)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    There are Pescatarians.
    There are Vegetarians.
    There are Vegans.
    There are people who eat all kinds of meat.
    There are people out there who don't eat carbs.
    There are people out there who have 'low sodium' diets.

What is right? What works for me may not work for you. How do you know what works for you? How do you know what doesn't? To me, I don't think there is a universal "way to eat". And the question, "Are you eating to live or living to eat?" is a very valid question. WHY do you choose to eat the foods that you eat? Because of studies done that you've read on? Because a celebrity eats that way? Because your doctor told you so?

For my fellow MFP'ers, why do you eat what you eat?

what is right? whatever works for you
    how do you know what doesn't? fads, pills, starving these do not work
    why do you choose to eat the foods? because the are yummy and i like them
    are you eating to live or living to eat? i live to eat
    because of studies done? heck no
    because of a celebrity? nope
    because your doctor told you? no
    why do you eat what you eat? because i enjoy it.

i am not on a diet. the only thing i restrict is portion size. everything i love is fair game - in moderation.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It depends.

What diseases are you genetically susceptible to?
    What can you enjoy for the long - term ?
    What diet provides sufficient variety of nutrients and necessary levels of protein, fat and carbohydrates?
    What diet emphasizes high value food (whole grain, lean protein, some unsaturated fats) over low value (empty calories, usually white flour and refined sugars / corn syrup) ?

Most ordinary diets can be made healthy simply by reducing the saturated and trans fats, adding in some mixed vegetables, and substituting beef for fish, or olive oil for butter. Beyond that the amount of calories matters more than anything.

I am wary of low - carb diets because the body needs carbohydrates to fuel aerobic activity.
    Binge eating on simple sugars is a common issue, perhaps explaining a part of the reservation.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Who can take a sunrise, sprinkle it with dew
    Cover it with chocolate and a miracle or two
    The Candy Man, oh the Candy Man can
    The Candy Man can 'cause he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good