meal replacements, good idea or steer clear?

Options
I am having a great deal of trouble losing weight and thought maybe if I tried a meal replacement to jump start my weight loss it would keep me away from all the things that I love so dearly that keep the pounds on. Anyone have any luck with these or are these meal replacements not such s good idea. Please feel free to add me as well, I guess i could use some encouragement and tips too!!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're gong to jump start anything. Calories keep the pounds on, not necessarily the foods you eat. I'm personally not a big fan of meal replacements save for rare occasions when I'm just on the run.

You can lose weight eating real food. Eat at a modest calorie deficit that doesn't kill you and allows for solid dietary adherence...weigh and measure everything appropriately and log the correct servings...practice moderation and portion control...have patience and realize that it is quite a lengthy process and nothing is going to happen overnight.

Focus on smaller goals along the way that go beyond just the scale...focus on nutritional goals...getting more veg and fruit...hitting your vitamin and mineral quotients...hitting your requisite fats and proteins, etc. Go out and rock your fitness and just focus on the overall process with the understanding that when you hit that goal weight...well...that's just the beginning. it isn't the finish line, it's the starting line of a much longer and tougher race and your "weight loss journey" is just training for that much longer race.
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I use a meal replacement shake every morning (Optifast)... and have for almost 2 years. It's just such a fast, easy, no brainer in the morning while I rush to get kids ready for school and out the door. It's one less food choice I need to make in a day. You could probably replace one or two meals a day with some sort of product (Optifast also did a soup and a bar...which I have used as well)... I just find it quick and easy. BUt as the other person said, you can lose eating 'real' food, you just need to make the right choices. Lean meats, veggies, smaller portion size of other foods you love but dont want to give up... snacks can be a greek yogurt and fruit instead of chips and sweets. It can be done... it all comes down to calories in vs. calories out. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Meal replacements are just lower calorie drinks with nutrients and some fiber to help fill you up. Thing is, what does it teach you about eating correctly? Nothing. Education is more important to maintain weight, so learning how to eat correctly and controlling how much you eat is a much better jumpstart plan.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    OP, this comment comes from a place of respect for you for being willing to put yourself out there and ask for advice. Eat food. Eat everything from apples to zucchini muffins.

Meal replacements can help you moderate your intake when you are in a rush, need to meet macro requirements or are off schedule. If you choose to deprive yourself of other foods you like, it is not very likely that meal replacements will stop those cravings. Good supplements can be part of healthy diet, but they are no panacea.

Meal replacement bars and shakes vary in nutritional quality and are not a "jump start" to any metobolic change. Consuming fewer calories than you burn is the only way to start losing body fat. So unless you have a preference for a high quality bar or shake that you intended to eat as a part of you regular lifestyle ongoing, why not spend that money on food that fits into your long term nutritional and fitness goals.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I think this depends greatly on your lifestyle & what is barring you from weight loss. I am a busy mom of a toddler & a nanny for a second infant. Due to always rushing around & taking care of their needs, I had a bad habit of skipping meals only to binge on junk later on. For me, meal replacements work well. Once I get down closer to my goal I will drop from two per day to one (as suggested by the manufacturer) then eventually to none.

If you have a large appetite or find that meal replacements leave you hungry / feeling "deprived" then they are probably not the right choice for you. Perhaps a high-fiber high-protein diet would be a better approach. Likewise if you struggle to meet your goal calories because the replacements are so low-cal, eating "real" food is probably a better choice.

In any case, meal replacements on their own are not going to eliminate any cravings or "jump start" weight loss. They are one low-calorie option to replace a meal. That's it - the rest is up to you!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're gong to jump start anything. Calories keep the pounds on, not necessarily the foods you eat. I'm personally not a big fan of meal replacements save for rare occasions when I'm just on the run.

You can lose weight eating real food. Eat at a modest calorie deficit that doesn't kill you and allows for solid dietary adherence...weigh and measure everything appropriately and log the correct servings...practice moderation and portion control...have patience and realize that it is quite a lengthy process and nothing is going to happen overnight.

Focus on smaller goals along the way that go beyond just the scale...focus on nutritional goals...getting more veg and fruit...hitting your vitamin and mineral quotients...hitting your requisite fats and proteins, etc. Go out and rock your fitness and just focus on the overall process with the understanding that when you hit that goal weight...well...that's just the beginning. it isn't the finish line, it's the starting line of a much longer and tougher race and your "weight loss journey" is just training for that much longer race.

Took the words right out of my mouth. This.
  • popshoveit
    Options
    I only ever had meal replacement drinks when I stashed them in my bag in case if be overnight with a mom giving birth (I'm a doula) and needed something like that. Otherwise I find that it's actually so much more satisfying and filling to eat real healthy foods and you will learn more about how to eat.
    You won't want to spend your life eating meal replacements so just start with healthy lower calorie foods right from the start.
  • SephiraRose
    SephiraRose Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    You could mix up a quick smoothie. I weigh out my fruit (like blackberriess, strawberries, blueberries, banana or apple) the night before and freeze them. In the AM add a couple of choices of that fruit to 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (protein and creaminess) ice cubes and 1/2 cup of either unsweetened rice, almond or soy milk. Give it a good whirl in the nutria bullet or blender. So many possibilities, very tasty and around 200 calories.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    You could mix up a quick smoothie. I weigh out my fruit (like blackberriess, strawberries, blueberries, banana or apple) the night before and freeze them. In the AM add a couple of choices of that fruit to 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (protein and creaminess) ice cubes and 1/2 cup of either unsweetened rice, almond or soy milk. Give it a good whirl in the nutria bullet or blender. So many possibilities, very tasty and around 200 calories.

^^I do this too, but add 3-4 oz of tofu to the mix (it adds 11 g protein and only 94 calories). You can also add 1 T of unsweetened cocoa to make it chocolate for 12 extra calories.