Going out tonight - What to drink?

Options
I recently restarted my weightloss journey. Although I haven't recorded it yet (it's not weigh-in day) I have already lost 10 lbs in the last two weeks by purely eating better and working on my portions. Thank you MFP for counting those calroies for me!!!

Having said that... I will be going to see Midget Wrestling tonight (I AM SO EXCITED)... and it will be at the bar. I do not want to skip out on drinks because of my diet. I want to be able to have a few (or more) and celebrate the show and have fun with my friends.

Being honest with myself, I will probably have 8-10 drinks since we already have a DD and I don't get out much. What are the best "healthy/skinny" drinks? It doesn't have to be a cocktail, I don't discriminate when it comes to booze.

Replies

• lizb214
    lizb214 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Rum and diet coke, vodka and soda (not tonic), wine
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Vodka Soda w/Lime
    Coors Light is 102 calories and 5.3g carbohydrates per 12 oz. serving
    Mich Ultra 2.6 carbs 96cals
    Miller Lite is 110 calories and 7g carbohydrates per 12 oz. serving.
    MGD 64 has only 64 calories and 2.4g carbohydrates.
    Keystone Light is 103 calories and 5 g carbohydrates. (Blech)
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If I'm particularly concerned about my calories, I'll typically drink light beer. But if that's not your thing, as mentioned above, liquor mixed with some kind of diet soda or 0 calorie mixer is also a lower-calorie choice. As far as alcohol is concerned, you really can't get much for less than 100-ish calories.

getdrunknotfat.com
  • NinnianeOfAvalon
    Options
    Be careful with wine; sweeter wines like Rieslings can pack over 100 calories in a single 5.5oz serving. The same thing goes for anything you mix with a non-diet soda because the sugar in the soda translates to empty calories. Even "lite" beer like MGD 64 adds up; 8 drinks x 64 calories a drink = 512 calories. That's a high number of calories that don't have much nutritional value. I'd consider limiting yourself to fewer drinks in order to keep your intake in check.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of beers that look really low cal, but the alcohol content is also a lot lower. If you know you're going to drink til you're drunk (as opposed to "satisfied" or "leaving" or whatever, lol...not that I'm advocating that, but just being realistic) stick with liquor with a calorie free mixer, like diet coke or soda water (with a lemon or lime), you'll come out ahead in the long run.
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    8-10 drinks will quickly add up to over 2000 calories if you don't choose wisely
    stick with light beer/5oz glasses of wine/rum with diet coke/gin & tonic
    drink water in between and you may find that you drink less!

enjoy!
  • zoober
    zoober Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Bombay Sapphire martini, dry, straight up, *no olive*, with a twist. - 2oz. martini = 158 calories.
  • SarahMay272727
    SarahMay272727 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well done on the weight loss just by making a few healthy changes :)

An easy rule to remember is clear alcohols tend to have fewer calories than dark coloured ones, so gin or vodka are more your friends than rum.

You could try searching the MFP database for whatever you fancy when you arrive - log 3 or 4 of them before you start drinking and see how you go.

And if you do go over on your calories, you can make it up over the next week :)
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    8-10 drinks is a lot - I'd try to stagger drinks out over the night - honestly. Drink a glass of water between each 'drink' to help you from getting dehydrated from all the alcohol too. (less hangover!)

That being said - find a no cal mixer and a booze you like - burbon and water - gin and tonic - or something and diet - or drink the booze straight! I have been known to sip tequilla (yea you don't have to shoot it!) then I don't have to worry about the mix.

Also another sneaky tip - if you drink something that you can fake - not saying don't have a good time, but I've drank Vodka and then switch to water for a while (in my same glass), then have another drink - no one knew it and I looked like I was drinking - (same with rum and diet - occasionally just get the diet) You can still drink - but it might slow you down which will save on the calories.
  • Leslie1124
    Leslie1124 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    bloody mary
  • lovelayla
    Options
    Seems to me like you want to get drunk. I understand...this is my method...to save money and get my drink on I plan the whole day in advance....very light breakfast and lunch...I buy 2-3 mini bottles of vodka and/or rum and drink that before I go out..that is 300 calories already, and I should be buzzed by the time I make it to the bar/club. Once at the bar I drink water "on the rocks" lol. I enjoy my friends, then during the evening I have 3 more rum and diet cokes....or shots of Patron...this will be another 300 ish calories....

The problem is sometimes what you do after the drinks...my friends and I like pancake houses at 4am or wings....so if you eat afterwards, plan that in advance too.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Bring some of those little Crystal Light packets with you, order vodka & water, mix, and be drunk.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Tequila mixed with lemon-lime redbull.
    Not the lowest calorie, but it is my current favorite and it is awesome >D
  • raqueldaisy
    raqueldaisy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bring some of those little Crystal Light packets with you, order vodka & water, mix, and be drunk.

Never heard of this one!! Creative! I'll have to try it!!
  • kellylee6887
    kellylee6887 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Vodka Soda w/Lime
    Coors Light is 102 calories and 5.3g carbohydrates per 12 oz. serving
    Mich Ultra 2.6 carbs 96cals
    Miller Lite is 110 calories and 7g carbohydrates per 12 oz. serving.
    MGD 64 has only 64 calories and 2.4g carbohydrates.
    Keystone Light is 103 calories and 5 g carbohydrates. (Blech)

You left out the King of Beers. Bud Select 55
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Just IMO, I don't see why people HAVE to drink to have fun. That said, drinking drinks with lower alcohol content would be a better choice.
    Alcohol inhibits any fat loss because the body metabolizes alcohol since it can't be stored. And it will keep metabolizing it until it's out of your system. So the more alcohol you drink, the longer the process continues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • dlemond1128
    dlemond1128 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

This is also good with the MIO liquid drink mix. Add it to your vodka and enjoy!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    light beer alternated with water
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Just IMO, I don't see why people HAVE to drink to have fun. That said, drinking drinks with lower alcohol content would be a better choice.
    Alcohol inhibits any fat loss because the body metabolizes alcohol since it can't be stored. And it will keep metabolizing it until it's out of your system. So the more alcohol you drink, the longer the process continues.

Drinking drinks with lower alcohol content could be counter productive if you then ended up drinking MORE to get a buzz. That usually equals more mixers.

Isn't your body done metabolizing alcohol once you're sober?
  • Momto4minions
    Momto4minions Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I only drink vodka and water with a lime. I alternate with water. Keeps the calories down, keeps you hydrated too.

Enjoy your night out and log it!