Breaking the cycle

Options
So I've been battling my weight pretty much all of my 36 years on this planet. I've lost 50lbs several times over the past 10 years, only to gain it back. So here I am, 50lbs down...and I've noticed my cycle is knocking on my door. Be it the winter blues, the failed relationship and loss of hope yet again or whatever...I've noticed that while I've yet to gain anything back...my resolve to work out has fled. My tight control on what calories I put into my body, in addition to how many...gone. I can SEE the cycle, I can see it's here and trying to wrangle me back into it's circular path of self loathing...but I DON'T WANT TO SUCCUMB!! Knowing that spring is JUST AROUND THE CORNER is helping me feel hopeful...but I want to end it NOW. Anyone have any luck, or tips on how you've overcome your own learned "comfortable" patterns?

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I'd say I just had to learn that I was in control of what I ate. Every day. Some days I eat above maintenance. And that's ok. I'm still in control, there's no excuses for me that I accept, personally. It's my body. It's my hand putting the things in my mouth. I can track calories, I can not track calories. But no matter what, everything I eat, I'm choosing consciously to eat.
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Set a goal of what weight you do not want to go over. Maybe 5-10 lbs over your lowest weight. Make a new cycle, only smaller, and eventually it turns into your being able to maintain your weight.
  • ressa8
    ressa8 Posts: 60
    Options
    I can totally relate to what you are going through. I was given a book called: Stop Eating Your Heart Out-The 21-day program to free yourself from emotionally eating by Meryl Hershey Beck. I am only 1/3 of the way through the book, but I feel it is already helping. I have always been an emotional eater and you will never stop going back to what you have always done if you don't learn how to rewire your brain into stopping the cycle of emotional eating. In the book she gives you assignments to do such as: journalling, recording your food and your emotions, etc. It takes work, but at this point I am willing to try anything. Hope this helps.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You are only a little less than 1/2 way to your goal. So think of this as a life long commitment to yourself. I have made many changes that have become permanent. I simply am not going back to those old habits. That being said this is the worst time of year for me always. The weather isn't letting me outside to exercise, my water aerobics class got cancelled and work is just really stressful. I just keep within my calories knowing that things will improve in March and April. I already made a commitment to walk/run 40 miles in March. Set little goals to keep yourself excited but remember this is for the long haul (the rest of your life) so don't beat yourself up over a bump or rough patch.
  • MsBrandylove
    MsBrandylove Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thank you 'guys' for responding....what a great way to get advice from people who've been through it or are going throught it! I completely agree, that I am the only one who can change my cycle, that it's me and no one else putting the food in my mouth, or not working out etc.
    Thanks Lizzy, this is a bump as long as I only let it be a bump and not a mountain :)
    Thank you Ressa, I'll have to look into that book! I could use a bit of rewiring! I'm very glad to hear that it is helping already :)
    Kitten, I will try making myself a goal to decrease my cycle, thank you :)
  • synchrohobbit
    synchrohobbit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Although I shift around in a 5-10 pound range, it is incredibly frustrating (and 10 pounds is a lot more when you are very short like me). It seems to go in 3-6 month cycles, and it's like my body becomes desperately more hungry during the weight gain times, and just isn't as hungry as I'm losing. Nothing else seems to be different, I'm equally stressed all the time. Every time I get down to my lower end weight I tell myself that was it, no more binging back up. Hasn't worked yet. This was a totally useless response, but I'm looking for similar advice, although the change in eating pattern seems inextricably linked to my hunger level and not my emotional state.