Squid in ink sauce?

Options
Has anyone tried this? I made a red clam sauce and wonder if adding this canned squid in ink sauce would be good or ruin it. Do you drain this?

Replies

• corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    hmm not too sure about it. I have made squid ink fresh pasta but that was with fresh squid- if you ever have the chance to do it- DO IT! - its phenomenal with the squid, garlic, olive oil....YUM!!

I think if you were going to try it, it would probably go better with a white clam sauce
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mkuiwwX9TA1r0ftodo1_400.gif
  • malyce86
    Options
    Don't do it! Squid ink has it's own flavor & I don't think it'd go well with tomato sauce. I've only ever had the pasta before though (with a garlic butter sauce)
  • JumpingDog
    JumpingDog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I like it personally but I like the squid more than the ink. I think I vote "no" on adding it to your clam sauce, just because it has its own very powerful flavor.
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

sigh
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried this? I made a red clam sauce and wonder if adding this canned squid in ink sauce would be good or ruin it. Do you drain this?

Not sure I'd combine the two.... although I've never tried it so I can't safely say either way. Let us know what you decide!

Love squid ink pasta though. Delish.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options

sigh

Yes?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Squid Ink Pasta is awesome. I know it's a thing in Japan and Korea, but I believe it's also popular in Italy.

There are recipes that include it and red tomato sauce, but I'd just put a little and taste test as you go. :)
  • 4realrose8
    4realrose8 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I decided not to put it in the red clam sauce because I wanted everyone to eat it. lol I've only ever had squid fried.

I did open the can and try a bite or two. It was different, but not bad. I would like to someday try fresh to see the difference. I'll save it and see what I can do with it this weekend.