Needs advice

Options
Ok I know this is going to sound crazy and I've read enough post on here that I kinda know what some of the responses will be but here goes........ If I eat more than 1200 calories a day I gain weight but as long as I eat 1200 I lose. MFP gives me 1360 so I ate that for one month and gained 10 pounds. I weigh everything that goes in my mouth and I also go over a few grams or ounces just to make sure I'm not eating more than I think. I also do not eat my exercise calories back because mfp over estimates the calories burned. I've been on this journey for a while. Last year when I started mfp I lost 25 pounds in 4 months( that was eating 1200 calories a day) then I started upping my calories because I had read many many post stating that was to low. I ended up gaining those 25 +8 more pounds. I'll eat at 1200 calories for a while and lose weight then I'll up my calories to anywhere from 1360 to 1600 calories and gain weight even with exercising 5 to 6 days a week. So I was wondering if anyone knows why this may happen or if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do. If 1200 calories is really to low I don't want to stay at 1200 for to long but it looks like the only way I can lose weight. Any advise or suggestions will be helpful and thanks in advance!

Replies

• TLTucker80
    TLTucker80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Advise please anyone
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Did you calculate your TDEE?
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and what is your weight? How much do you have to lose? It sounds like you kind of have been on a little bit of a roller coaster here. How long do you stay on track before you fall off track?

Are you weighing, measuring and logging everything that goes in your mouth? Are you being honest about what you're putting in your mouth? Are you counting condiments, beverages, cream and/or sugar in your coffee?
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked out by your doctor? There could be medical (like hormonal) issues that are affecting your ability to lose weight. Gaining 10 pounds while eating 1360, especially if you are adamant on weighing/measuring, must have been quite disheartening... I would go to my doctor and get some blood work done to rule that out?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,031 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked out by your doctor? There could be medical (like hormonal) issues that are affecting your ability to lose weight. Gaining 10 pounds while eating 1360, especially if you are adamant on weighing/measuring, must have been quite disheartening... I would go to my doctor and get some blood work done to rule that out?

^This, absolutely.
  • meglizbo
    meglizbo Posts: 42
    Options
    Do you have food allergies? When you eat under 1200 calories are you avoiding certain types of foods, or certain amounts of foods? For example, if I eat copious amounts of grains (super easy to do with a higher calorie allowance) I gain weight like it's a paid hobby. But if my calorie limit is lower I am only eating certain types of foods that are more filling and don't trigger my allergies. However, once I figured out what my body was allergic to and stopped eating trigger foods entirely I was able to eat A LOT more food and still lose weight!

The other thing is how much water do you drink. Drink like you're going to get a prize at the end of the day for it. Hell, give yourself a prize if you hit your water goal! Water weight is a devious little thing. PM me if you have any questions!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    My TDEE - 20% = 1037c. If I eat over this, bingo, I gain weight. Obviously, if you eat over 1200, you gain. It seems pretty simple to me. Try doing your TDEE - 15% or 20%. Don't eat back your calories as MFP will set that for you based on what you choose for an activity level. good luck.
  • greeneyegrly
    greeneyegrly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I looked over your diary and you eat most of your calories at night. If you don't take in protein in the AM your body will feel starved and your metabolism will stall. My best advice to you is make sure you have a larger breakfast with protein in each meal. I hope this helps.

Based on your food diary you eat your meal backwards, larger calorie meals should be earlier because you are more active and can burn it off. You ate a breakfast for dinner but had coffee for breakfast. Your body will feel like its not sure when it will get more calories and hold on to what you give it.
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but something is wrong somewhere. You dont eat barely 1300 calories and gain weight! 1. You are weighing and measuring food wrong or 2. you need to be seen by a doctor!
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    I looked over your diary and you eat most of your calories at night. If you don't take in protein in the AM your body will feel starved and your metabolism will stall. My best advice to you is make sure you have a larger breakfast with protein in each meal. I hope this helps.

Your metabolism will NOT "stall" by eating your calories at night.

I do however agree with eating more protein.
  • brenda5476
    brenda5476 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that when you lose 3 lbs you then eat until you gain them back.
    then you lose those 3 again and then gain them back. Eventually your body adapts and it takes longer to gain them back and you are resetting your metabolism.

Shoot I wish I could remember where I read it cause it makes sense to me.

I eat 1400-1600 calories and don't eat back my exercise calories. I am losing slowly but I am okay with that.

I find that 1200 keeps me looking for more and I overeat. This way I am satisfied and don't feel like I am dieting just watching my portions.

Good luck with your journey.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options
    I read somewhere that when you lose 3 lbs you then eat until you gain them back.
    then you lose those 3 again and then gain them back. Eventually your body adapts and it takes longer to gain them back and you are resetting your metabolism.

Not this at all.
  • TLTucker80
    TLTucker80 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    How tall are you and what is your weight? How much do you have to lose? It sounds like you kind of have been on a little bit of a roller coaster here. How long do you stay on track before you fall off track?

Are you weighing, measuring and logging everything that goes in your mouth? Are you being honest about what you're putting in your mouth? Are you counting condiments, beverages, cream and/or sugar in your coffee?

I'm 5'5' and currently weigh 257.4lbs. I have 107 pounds to lose. I eat at 1200 for a 2 months then I up it to about 1400 for a month or so. I lose when I eat 1200 but gain it all back when I up it to 1400. Yes I weigh everything that I put in my mouth at both calories.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Options

I'm 5'5' and currently weigh 257.4lbs. I have 107 pounds to lose. I eat at 1200 for a 2 months then I up it to about 1400 for a month or so. I lose when I eat 1200 but gain it all back when I up it to 1400. Yes I weigh everything that I put in my mouth at both calories.

Just for due diligence purposes, I will suggest that you go to your doctor and have your blood work done and all of that goodness.

BUT

My kinda sorta educated guess is that you are eating too much and something has gone wrong with your logging. This can be a multitude of things and might even be something as simple as making the wrong choices in the database.

With your current weight and height, while 1200 is not advisable for long term, there is no way that you would not be losing if you that were your actual intake.

Sorry. Probably not the answer you want to hear.

ETA.....and this would also be the case for 1400. There is pretty much no way that you should be gaining at that rate if you are accurately logging your intake at 1400 calories.