Plateau Problem?

Options
Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if there were any trainers or nutritionist who can help me out here..?

I'm 4'll (almost 5'0!) and weigh 113 lbs. I'm trying to lose a last 10 pounds, but I'm struggling. I eat around 1200 calories each day, and exercise 5 days a week for 30 minutes each day (my schedule can't take much more), but I used to hit the gym for much longer! (I love working out; I could go for a couple hours!)

I'm not really sure what else I can do to encourage my body to lose a few more inches. I feel as though my calorie intake is already as extreme as it gets. My goal is to have a flat stomach.

Any suggestions? I'm stuck, and could really use a hand!

Thanks!

Replies

• LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    How long have you been plateauing for? Are you measuring/weighing/tracking properly? How much have you lost so far?
  • HCalanAlfano
    HCalanAlfano Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Its probably been three months. I've been slowly losing weight for about a year and half, and I've lost 17 pounds so far.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Have you been weighing all your food? It makes a huge difference.

Also, have you been measuring yourself?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I was wondering if there were any trainers or nutritionist who can help me out here..?

I'm 4'll (almost 5'0!) and weigh 113 lbs. I'm trying to lose a last 10 pounds, but I'm struggling. I eat around 1200 calories each day, and exercise 5 days a week for 30 minutes each day (my schedule can't take much more), but I used to hit the gym for much longer! (I love working out; I could go for a couple hours!)

I'm not really sure what else I can do to encourage my body to lose a few more inches. I feel as though my calorie intake is already as extreme as it gets. My goal is to have a flat stomach.

Any suggestions? I'm stuck, and could really use a hand!

Thanks!
    What are you doing in those 30 minutes for exercise?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HCalanAlfano
    Options
    I usually do moderate cardio, like jogging or cycling. I strength train once a week, only because I feel like I can't do more within my time constraints.
  • HCalanAlfano
    Options
    No, I don't normally weigh my food. How does that work? I haven't heard of too many trying that.

And yes, I measure myself with a tape measure and weigh myself with a medical scale. Although, I don't take the time to regularly measure myself with the tape and usually just jump on the scale for a second.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,604 Member
    Options
    I usually do moderate cardio, like jogging or cycling. I strength train once a week, only because I feel like I can't do more within my time constraints.
    Well your BMR is estimated at 1264. If you did nothing all day (meaning sat on the couch till it was time to go to bed again), your calorie deficit would be 64 calories. If you worked and did 30 minutes of cardio, then maybe bump that to 350 calories more. So with an estimated calorie deficit of 414 calories a day, you won't see a lost pound for about every 10 days if you're CONSISTENT. But you have to be consistent.
    The only 2 ways to change this is: do more exercise to increase calories burned or eat less than you're eating now. I would definitely try to increase calories burned. There are workouts that you can do at home with no equipment that are 10 minutes long so really time constraint shouldn't be an issue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HCalanAlfano
    Options
    One more question: Is this affected by how much I stand? I recently changed from a desk job to an internship (I'm in college), and now I stand for about four to eight hours, walking periodically, but not walking quickly.

Thanks for all your feed back?
  • timrpm
    timrpm Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Up the intensity and vary the types of cardio you are doing. The body adapts to sustained moderate cardio of the same types pretty quickly. Use a HR monitor and once or twice a week you should do high intensity intervals, getting your HR into high Zone 4 or even Zone 5. Try some of these workouts :-

http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/four-great-treadmill-workouts