OUCH!!!

Options
So I started lifting, to tone arms/legs. I'm SO SORE. I know it will pass, but it makes it hard to lift 2x a week, when I am so sore I can barely lift my arms over my head. I'm not doing much weight at all, just enough that it is tough to do the last 1-2 reps in a set. Any suggestions on how to ease the soreness? I've been trying to eat a bit more protein, drinking milk after workouts, that sort of thing, but gosh, it just hurts. LOL

I know, I know, I'm a bit whiny, and I know it's going to hurt, and I expect it, but I have a life to live, and a 3 year old that wants to be picked up. I can't not do this! I want to push through the pain and keep lifting, and I will, but I just need a bit of help with the pain. Tylenol isn't helping a lot, and neither is my Mobic. Is it possible I just need to drop my weight a bit? I stretch, but maybe not enough. Any good full body stretching routines out there that you can suggest?

Any help will be appreciated.

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    no pain no gain …

as you work out more the soreness will become less and less..

for now, you are just going to have to suck it up and keep on going ...
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid there's not much you can do to ease the soreness. Hot baths or muscle creams may soothe it temporarily, but it will get better on its on with a little time. Don't give up!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Have you tried soaking in the bath with Epson salts. They do wonders for muscle ache. Other than that as previous poster stated it will get better.
  • RhysWill_I_Ams
    Options
    I use a ridiculously cold shower all over my body to initially shock my muscles but this is for like 10 seconds then let myself warm up a bit then have a nice long hot shower. It really helps. Also just tiny movements using the muscles you worked can help the lactic acid.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options

as you work out more the soreness will become less and less..

for now, you are just going to have to suck it up and keep on going ...

Yup, this.

Hot baths and ice packs help me a bit though. And drink a lot of water.
  • Tigger31179
    Tigger31179 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Well crud! LOL

I should have mentioned all I have is a stand up shower. We live in a small-ish trailer as it is just three of us, and it's paid for. :) No baths for me! I wish..

No pain no gain. The story of my life!

I'm not giving up. I do not care how bad it gets, I refuse!! I'm tired of bingo wings and flabby belly!

Thanks for the help so far.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Are you doing some sort of dynamic stretching or warm up prior to lifting? Are you doing a few warm up sets or hitting right into your main lifts?

Are you doing any sort of stretching afterwards?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Aside from doing a short jog or time on the elliptical for a warm up and dynamic stretches, check out DeFranco's Limber 11 (mostly lower body) and Simple 6 (Upper Body) mobility routines. They are great for warm ups or cool downs.

Limber 11 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc&feature=youtu.be

Simple 6 - http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_08-10-31.html#question02

I'd recommend doing these on your off days as well, or some form of cardio to get the blood pumping to help with the DOMS.
  • georgetuxbury
    Options
    coconut water helps, it's got a ton of antioxidants and electrolytes with out a bunch of fake sugar,(make sure you get the organic, 100 percent kind), replaces the stuff you sweat and reduces the amount of acid that hangs out in the muscles, lots of stretching, and a good cool down help too, and then a warm shower...but really, the coconut water is epic, less soreness, less cramping, and it hydrates you really well
  • dumparump
    dumparump Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I used to take an Arnica supplement before workouts. That and an intra-workout drink really helped cut down on the muscle soreness to help recover faster.
  • robinaddison
    robinaddison Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You need to drink lots of water. Also, a high protein snack immediately post workout helps with muscle recovery. You can get all kinds of fancy protein shakes if you want, or go with the old body builders standby - chocolate milk which works and tastes way better than any powder. You'll find the DOMS gets better as your muscles get used to the work, but it will never go away completely as long as you continue to push yourself.
  • TheLadyBane
    TheLadyBane Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I do dynamic stretching and a warm up prior to lifting, then a cool down and a little stretching after. I also throw in pilates and yoga here and there if I am particularly sore just to loosen everything up. I lift fairly heavy and my pain is not debilitating. It actually feels good.
  • Tigger31179
    Options
    Okay, so I do drink milk, usually right after, or shortly after, but will switch to chocolate milk.

I work out 5 days a week, cardio 3 days (C25K, and stationary bike) and then lift and usually I walk and do the bike 2 days. Take the weekends off. I will switch my cardio to before my lifting. I usually go right into my regular lifts. Thanks for the stretching videos! I will do those every day if I can.

I just had an idea too. I wonder if anyone has used Noni Juice. I used to take it for my back, and it worked WONDERS. I mean I went from not being able to get up and down off the floor without pain, to no pain from an arthritic back. I may try that and see if it helps any. I'll let you all know soon. If anyone has used it to help with pain, let me know, I'd love to know other folks experiences.

I REALLY appreciate all the wonderful ideas! Thank you so much!
  • Tigger31179
    Options
    TheLadyBane: 130 lbs lost!!!! I'm in awe of you! I have over 100 lbs to lose, and it just feels so daunting sometimes! :) Nice job!
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Soon enough, DOMS will be a thing of the past. Well, unless you add something new in.

A warm shower, making sure to stretch prior to and after lifting, and get some cardio in. Those things will help. But, the real key is just allowing some time for your body to adapt.

Foam roller are pretty wonderful, as well.
  • Giddy72
    Giddy72 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well crud! LOL

I should have mentioned all I have is a stand up shower. We live in a small-ish trailer as it is just three of us, and it's paid for. :) No baths for me! I wish..

No pain no gain. The story of my life!

I'm not giving up. I do not care how bad it gets, I refuse!! I'm tired of bingo wings and flabby belly!

Thanks for the help so far.

I used to play American Football and ached terribly for days after training & games.

I then found Diarylyte. Which is packets of salts that you mix with water (or squash) to replace salts lost during an upset stomach

The aching was much reduced when combined with warm-down stretches. The salts replace the salt lost when sweating .
    It worked for me anyway, so you could try it?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. Just rest a couple days and do it again, your body will get used to it.