Exercise and antibiotics

Options
Hi,

I had a flu and sore throat and doctor perscribed me with antibiotics. My fever is gone and I feel better so I started working out: (running and kettlebell). Now a friend told me I shouldn't exercise while on antibiotics, that I should wait to finish the medicine first and I'm not sure why?
Anybody familiar with that kind of reasoning?

Replies

• Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    You put your heart on some serious strain if exercising while on antibiotics.. There have been many reports of people suffering heart attacks due to doing so
  • fredgiblet
    fredgiblet Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Your best bet would be to ask your doctor and consult the documentation that came with the antibiotics. Different drugs may have different effects.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You put your heart on some serious strain if exercising while on antibiotics.. There have been many reports of people suffering heart attacks due to doing so
    Not Scaremongering or anything eh!!! OP just use some common sense and listen to your body if your still recovering take it slow. Any doubts speak to your Doctor
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Firstly make sure you compete your antibiotics course including any repeats. I don't have your medical details but many doctors prescribe antibiotics when people present with flu symptoms. Antibiotics do not work on viruses ( as a side note ), but they do work on bacteria which can be secondary infections like ear infections or pneumonia type infections. It is likely that you can resume exercise since you feel better, do not start too hard and be aware of any fatigue or other side effects. As Fred says the antibiotics will have a CMI either in the pack and / or online, read this first. And again I stress take all the course of tablets - you feel better before all the bacteria are killed and the last few days of tablets kills of the last of the infection.

The reasoning not to exercise is that you body is already under stress from the infection and antibiotics can upset many symptoms causing more stress on the body. Antibiotics also kill bacteria in the gut and can have other physiological impacts.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    crazy. i never knew the two were linked, especially talks of heart attacks and such
  • snoopyjet
    snoopyjet Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back.
    Well I haven't been sick for 5 years so this was a bit of a shock :) The doctor diagnosed me with throat infection ("angina" i hope i wrote that right :) ) That's why the antibiotics. Well I will finish them for sure and see how it goes. I heard it was because of the quicker absorption of medicine due to exercise.

Anyway, Thanks again!
  • chichi2130
    chichi2130 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back.
    Well I haven't been sick for 5 years so this was a bit of a shock :) The doctor diagnosed me with throat infection ("angina" i hope i wrote that right :) ) That's why the antibiotics. Well I will finish them for sure and see how it goes. I heard it was because of the quicker absorption of medicine due to exercise.

Anyway, Thanks again!

Angina is a heart-related chest pain/discomfort. I hope your doctor didn't tell you your throat infection was called angina...
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    My question, why would you go on antibiotics for the flu?
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I had a flu and sore throat and doctor perscribed me with antibiotics. My fever is gone and I feel better so I started working out: (running and kettlebell). Now a friend told me I shouldn't exercise while on antibiotics, that I should wait to finish the medicine first and I'm not sure why?
    Anybody familiar with that kind of reasoning?

I just am finishing off Flu (Type A) which I caught 2 weeks ago today. It was a doozy during week one, and I ended up getting 2 shots in the hip on the 5th day of steroids to calm down my lungs that I was hacking up. The Doc did not prescribe antibiotics to me though. Just the steroids, a Nebulizer with Albuterol, and Sudafed SE to dry up the drip drip up top.

Here's a great article I read on coming back from the flu/cold to exercise....

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/the-athlete-s-survival-guide-to-the-cold-and-flu-season

I eased back on day 7 of my flu with a 30 minute Zone 1 recovery spin to see how it felt. I survived. Day 8 of the flu, I tried a 60 minute recovery ride which I also survived. Day 9 I did lower body weight work and felt fine. Day 10 I did a 60 minute ride with some 8 second spin up intervals. That one taxed me a bit and set off the coughing into a spasm. Day 11 I did upper body weights and felt fine. Day 12 I completed a 75 minute scheduled ride with 4 x 8 intervals in Zone 4 which certainly tested the body and lungs, but my nutrition was great for that day and helped fuel my energy all day as well as the workout session. I completed it and now at day 14 - my cough is almost entirely gone and I am feeling pretty darn good. Two weeks I don't care to repeat for quite some time - let me tell you!!!!

You should ease back into your running at a recovery jogging pace and listen to your body as to how it feels and reacts. Accept the fact that training will have been lost during your flu, and move forward with your training once you are able to sustain it.
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    If you are taking a fluoroquinole anti microbial (I.e. Levofloxacin, gemifloxacin, moxifloxacin...levaquin, factive, or avelox) those are advised to stop exercising thoughout the course of treatment due to tendon ruptures.

An actual name of antibiotic would be helpful though, all these posters simply make extremely vague assumptions some assuming you are using a macrolide antiobiotic (azithromycin) and scare mongering you into possibilities of qt prolongation simply from watching the news to much and knowing nothing about your specific disease comorbidies if any.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
  • IVMarkIV
    IVMarkIV Posts: 116
    Options
    FYI if it was the flu you wouldn't be on "antibiotics", you would likely be on an antiviral neuraminidase inhibitor.