40 pounds down 1mnth smoke free gaining back, help!

Options
So I have quit smoking about a Month ago for obvious reasons but now I went from 155 to 160 in this time! I'm getting so discouraged I haven't stopped exercise or anything but over eating much more. I don't want to give up but I feel so discouraged about losing the last 20 pounds... has anyone else been through this? What curbed your eating? I really don't want to start smoking again just to keep the weight off, but I feel like I have no other options. Someone please help!

Replies

• bex4health
    bex4health Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Going back to smoking should be "not an option" for you!! It's understandable that you might have gained weight the first month but I would suspect that you're over the hard part of kicking that stinky habit. Are you eating more to make up for not having a cig? Try gum, doing something with your hands besides eating. Don't give up, you'll find a balance!
  • christa279
    christa279 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking several years ago, but I wasn't trying to lose weight at the same time. Good for you!

I think the best thing is to figure out what you are overeating on. A lot of people can break the actual addiction to cigs pretty easily, but then they don't know how to deal with the oral part of it which leads to eating (or overeating). Do you tend to go for salty snacks or sweet snacks? Or are you eating more at actual mealtime?

When I quit, I kept chewing gum and hard candies around and when I craved a cig I would chew the gum or suck on the candy. It helped a lot.
  • baileyang33
    baileyang33 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I got nothing. I gained 25 pounds after I quit. Maybe chewing gum or sunflower seeds to take your mind off of it. Good luck!
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    just keep doing what you are doing. even if you never lose the quitting smoking weight (and you will i promise) you'll STILL be healthier! i quit smoking and gained about 15 pounds. BUT i can breathe, i smell better, i feel better, my asthma is now under control (yes i was a smoking asthmatic. stupid i know) i have more money, the list goes on. TOTALLY worth the 15 pounds i put on. dont give up!

get your eating back in line with what you need to be doing, and you'll lose it.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been down that road. I quit smoking two months ago and I gained back 5-6 lbs while exercising and counting calories because I felt hungry all the time and I cheated a lot. Anyway, I couldn't be happier!

First week was HELL, first month was hell-ish, now I'm fine. Seriously! I don't even think about smoking anymore... Most of the time.
    Exercise and herbal teas helped me a lot with cravings, I would've gained 20 lbs without them.
    Don't be discouraged! :)
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Been through this... Ugh... It's tough. But it's natural to gain some weight back after quitting, even if you are not eating more.

But... Since you are having food cravings...

Drink water, tons of it. Have that water bottle in your hand 24/7. Take a stress B-Complex vitamin. Workout harder with those lungs that can breath that much better! The workout will help curb cravings because of the chemicals it releases in your body. Go for a walk instead of snacking when you have a craving. Don't let yourself turn to food. Remember your goal every time you reach for those snacks...

You quit smoking to make yourself healthier, don't let food replace smoking and get in the way of becoming healthier! Don't give up! You are a month in, that's amazing!
  • Krakenzmama
    Options
    Congrats on the quitting! It's not easy to do but it's the best thing you can do.

Don't panic! your body is just getting used to dealing with not living on nicotine. Give it a chance to rebound from this change and keep up your healthy habits. As Dory the fish in Finding Nemo would say "Just keep swimming"

I vape and use e-cigs, but I am cutting down on that too because I want to be nicotine free due to problems with anxiety and depression.

My best suggestion is if you have the need to stick something in your mouth (the hand to mouth and the oral fixation is big with smokers) is to chew sugar free gum, some use toothpicks, or even floss picks from the pharmacy. Find a way to keep your hands occupied on your down time. I knit and crochet - some people use their hands for other purposes like art or projects. If you are handy, do stuff around the house. If you must nosh - something crunchy like fresh fruit or veggies are great.

Keep up the good work!!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    OP you're almost to the easy part. You can drop the weight by counting calories and eating below your TDEE. I assume you're still counting calories but (knowingly) going over because you're just getting hungrier. It will get easier.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    So I have quit smoking about a Month ago for obvious reasons but now I went from 155 to 160 in this time! I'm getting so discouraged I haven't stopped exercise or anything but over eating much more. I don't want to give up but I feel so discouraged about losing the last 20 pounds... has anyone else been through this? What curbed your eating? I really don't want to start smoking again just to keep the weight off, but I feel like I have no other options. Someone please help!

Congrats on quitting smoking. When I quit many years ago, the first 6 months were the hardest. I felt lost without cigarettes, they were such a habit. Don't trade weight gain for smoking! It's not either-or. You can be a nonsmoker with normal weight. Allow yourself time to make the transition.

Things to do instead of smoking or eating: chew sugarless gum, buy a beautiful water bottle and carry it everywhere, drink tea and coffee, and exercise. Every time you feel restless, go for a walk or do some calisthenics (push ups, triceps dips, squats, planks, biceps curls). You can do a few of those at home or even at work in a stairwell or quiet office. Believe me, everything gets easier over time.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    OP you're almost to the easy part. You can drop the weight by counting calories and eating below your TDEE. I assume you're still counting calories but (knowingly) going over because you're just getting hungrier. It will get easier.

I would have to agree - quitting smoking is difficult at best - quitting smoking and losing weight together even more difficult - but revel in how much better you feel when not lighting up - you will feel the benefits in your workouts - if food is the alternative to smoking then make sure it's healthy and low cal - I work in a jail and when they finally made them non-smoking we gave the inmates food (ie: carrot and celery sticks) at night - a lot of places had backlash from inmates but we didn't have any - now it's just accepted that when they come to jail there is no smoking (funny how things work - some of these people walk out the doors when released and light up - crazy - after months of not smoking I don't think I would but who's to say, they basically are forced into quitting)
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Don't stress. I gained about 8 pounds when I quit, I lost it again a few months later, and then some.
  • morteetee
    Options
    I quit smoking a few years ago and it was hard but not impossible. I found I needed to fill the void of "hand to mouth"activity which resulted in overeating at times. Things that helped me: when i felt the urge for a smoke, I would have some Popcorn Indiana Fit corn (37 cal per cup), and it helped me through it. Also, I would try to avoid "triggers" that made me want a smoke - anything from a certain song to having coffee in the afternoon. Take a glass jar, put an entire pack of cigarettes in it and fill it with water, and see how the water discolors after a day - imagine that as your lungs.

Good luck to you and be patient with yourself. Allow your body to adjust to not smoking. Even if you gain 5 to 10 pounds in the first 6 months of not smoking, it is STILL healthier than smoking. Don't beat yourself up over a few pounds, instead rejoice that you have found the strength and courage to quit one of the most addictive habits in the world. CONGRATULATIONS and God bless you.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    No advice, I'm afraid - in because I'm cutting down/quitting (can't admit to the second yet as I've not been more than 36 hours with a cigarette yet) and would love to know how to do it without piling the weight back on!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    One of the benefits of smoking ( probably the only one) is that it speeds up your metabolism. So if you quit, it does slow down.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    E Cigs saved my lungs. Some of the oils offered are flavored (pineapple, wild cherry, that kind of thing) and many of them have low or no nicotine.

Hint: If you choose this option, don't go cheap.

Good luck!
  • DeliD25
    DeliD25 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Congrats on quitting smoking! That is the biggest and best accomplishment. I quit 5 years ago and also started gaining, for many the substitution is food. In the book by Allen Carr he says we don't gain weight because we quit smoke but because we start eating. Why did you start your weight loss journey? Get your head back there, reflect on the success you are having, refocus on tracking your food, now that your chest is going to feel better for not smoking try a different exercise program. Getting past the quit smoking hurdle will get easier and easier. You will stop mourning the loss of your bad habit, you just need to find a healthier one to replace it. Do crunches and have a big glass of water. Have you tried fruit infused water? It adds some flavour without chemicals or calories. I have also heard cinnamon is a good quit smoking aid. Try Apple Cinnamon infused water!
  • CiarasJourney
    Options
    I have been over indulging in high carb food, breads and sweets are really difficult to stay away from for me. Breads and cookies and things like that. I have most definitely been eating a lot more of those foods to fill that void of not smoking. I have also been working over a lot more thinking some how I will counteract the bad day (i.e - eating 2000 calories by dinner, than going to the gym for 3 hours to burn 800) I know if I went back to smoking I would feel terrible! Just feeling like everything i'm doing is all for nothing when I see the scale go up!
    I would say I am consuming about 1,900+ calories a day with a high fat and carb content (my goal is 1,500)
  • CiarasJourney
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the feedback, I know I can do this! I just get upset when I work really hard and the scale moves the other way. I know I have been eating mindlessly and out of boredom and trying to fill the void but everyone is all saying the same thing don't give up and it sounds like some of you had the same issue and got over it. Just need to reset and think about what I really want!
    Obviously I need to stop myself from eating high carb, fattening food!
    After all, its nutrition for your body and not something to change your emotions (happiness for 5 minutes, then guilt the rest of the day)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I have been over indulging in high carb food, breads and sweets are really difficult to stay away from for me. Breads and cookies and things like that. I have most definitely been eating a lot more of those foods to fill that void of not smoking. I have also been working over a lot more thinking some how I will counteract the bad day (i.e - eating 2000 calories by dinner, than going to the gym for 3 hours to burn 800) I know if I went back to smoking I would feel terrible! Just feeling like everything i'm doing is all for nothing when I see the scale go up!
    I would say I am consuming about 1,900+ calories a day with a high fat and carb content (my goal is 1,500)
    If you aren't logging you definitely should for the short term, at least until your food cravings go away. (It's hard enough to deal with not smoking, but adding "not eating even though you want to, all the while not even being sure whether or not it's too much" to that mix is crazypants.:wink: )