Any Single Serving Primal/Paleo/Whole Foods Recipes?

Options
Makoce
Makoce Posts: 938 Member
Posted this in the Primal/Paleo group but figured Id post it here too...

Going through recipe sites .. all the recipes are serving for 4 - 6 or more people.
A lot of times, I cook separate dinners for myself because my family isnt on the band wagon with my eating habits.
I'd love it if anyone had any single-serving recipes available that they use or have a site for?

The issue with making multiple servings is a lot of recipes just say "makes 6 servings", but doesnt have any information on calorie count or what exactly a serving is. I have no idea how to split it equally into individual servings to use for later or how to decipher calorie count or whatever ... unless anyone knows an easy way to do this?? Because I like my diary to be accurate as possible

Replies

• pacsqueen
    Options
    why not freeze the extra ones for another meal time for you? that way you are saving time in the future
  • Makoce
    Options
    But when you cook stuff all together, how do you figure out whats what in terms of how much of a serving

Like, when you make a recipe in the MFP recipe maker, you enter servings and it tells you how many calories per serving .. but I can never figure out how much 1 serving is because most sites dont say.

You could always divide up the specific meal into "x" amount of servings, but then im always paranoid there might be more o f one thing or its not calculated equally and theres more calories, ors omething.

I have no idea how to calculate that kinda stuff
  • quicknick12
    quicknick12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Weigh the ingredients while cooking then weigh the finished product, calculate total macros and calorie info, then divide into whatever portions suit your calorie requirements, freeze or refrigerate remaining then just break off more servings as you see fit based on weight. This is even easier if you have the nutrient content for the recipe, but can be done by weighing each ingredient and adding to MFP journal, then save it as a meal. A little math and a scale go a long way! (weigh...ha ha)......(whey...HA HA HA!)
  • Makoce
    Options
    Little confused, Im a bit math-dumb.

I always weigh whatever I make .. so weigh the raw meats, etc and enter them all based on how much into the MFP recipe maker based on how many servings the recipe says it makes, which gives you the calories for one serving etc... then after the meal is done, say, stew for example ... how would you figure out the calories in one serving?

You weigh the pot of stew and then what? Sorry im slow

This is part of the reason I was apprehensive about making my own meals -- I know much is going into the meal total but can nver figure out how much is in my portions
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    If you make a 4 serving meal, enter all the ingredients here in MFP. Then, done cooking, take a plate and 3 boxes, and put 1/4th on your plate to eat now, and 1/4th in each box. Then you know how many calories are in each box when you defrost them later.

Or, alternatively, follow the 4serving recipe, and just put 1/4th of the ingredients in - so instead of 1cup, just use 1/4th cup... Can be difficult with uneven numbers of fruit or eggs, of course...
  • kellyb63
    kellyb63 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Could you please post the link to the paleo group? Im looking for breakfast ideas......thanks!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    @kelly go to the groups tab---->search Paleo--->done. Many groups are there to choose from, good luck.
  • erinstransformation
    Options
    If you want absolute perfection in knowing the calorie content, you have to weight the entire meal. Then divide it by however many portions YOU want to be in that meal. You will then know exactly how many grams you are allowed...and put that in the title.
  • Makoce
    Options
    If you want absolute perfection in knowing the calorie content, you have to weight the entire meal. Then divide it by however many portions YOU want to be in that meal. You will then know exactly how many grams you are allowed...and put that in the title.

Ok so....
    Say im making beef stew or chicken with homemade gravy in a crock pot...do i put the whole serving into a dish and weigh it by whatever i want such as ounces of grams ( minus the weight of the disk of course ) and divide that into servings??
    Do I have that right?
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Options
    If there's 4 servings and you know the calories per serving then divide it into 4 and forget about it. There mig be more/less in one container but after all 4 servings are eaten you're in the same place that you would've been had you done it perfectly so it doesn't matter.
  • Makoce
    Options
    Yeah. I like to over complicate things and confuse myself. :laugh:
    Though, I like to be accurate too
  • Jodycnd
    Jodycnd Posts: 56 Member
    Options

Ok so....
    Say im making beef stew or chicken with homemade gravy in a crock pot...do i put the whole serving into a dish and weigh it by whatever i want such as ounces of grams ( minus the weight of the disk of course ) and divide that into servings??
    Do I have that right?

This is pretty much what I do: I enter the recipe into MFP, then after I make the recipe, I weight the entire finished product and decide how many servings I want it to be. Then divide the total weight by the servings, and ta-da, all done. I usually modify the name of the recipe after to include the weight of a serving.
  • boolz
    boolz Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do the "make a lot and freeze" thing all the time. For paleo, my easy way to figure portion number without all the weighing:

The meat is the point and I consider 3oz to be one serving, so I divide the weight of the meat package by 3, and that's my number of servings for the whole recipe. So, if, for example, I use a pound of turkey to make turkey chili, that's five servings.
  • Makoce
    Options
    Bumping this because im dumb and confused again :laugh:

I was planning on buying a whole chicken ... and making this meal because it sounds yummy!

http://canadagirleatspaleo.com/2013/08/06/whole-crockpot-chicken-with-easy-gravy-and-mashed-cauliflower/

But how in the heck do I figure out the calories or what a serving is in my diary for stuff like this?

Would I create a recipe on MFP?
    ( I looked up "whole chicken" in the database and there was really no results?.. )
    and then weigh my serving of cauliflower, gravy, and chicken ( carved without the bone ) separately...
    then weigh the entire chicken carved, all the cauliflower and the gravy separately and divide each item by the amount I had as a serving to create a serving size for each thingl?

Or is there a simpler way? I just confused myself.

This is going to be my first time ever cooking a meal that isnt for one person.
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Bumping this because im dumb and confused again :laugh:

I was planning on buying a whole chicken ... and making this meal because it sounds yummy!

http://canadagirleatspaleo.com/2013/08/06/whole-crockpot-chicken-with-easy-gravy-and-mashed-cauliflower/

But how in the heck do I figure out the calories or what a serving is in my diary for stuff like this?

Would I create a recipe on MFP?
    ( I looked up "whole chicken" in the database and there was really no results?.. )
    and then weigh my serving of cauliflower, gravy, and chicken ( carved without the bone ) separately...
    then weigh the entire chicken carved, all the cauliflower and the gravy separately and divide each item by the amount I had as a serving to create a serving size for each thingl?

Or is there a simpler way? I just confused myself.

Yes create a new recipe, put in number of servings and BAM! MFP does the calculations for you for nutrition per serving. Now because the recipe doesn't have the number of servings, play around with the serving number in the recipe creator until you have number of calories that makes sense for one meal.

Once your done cooking, tare your scale with the container you will use to weigh with.

If your recipe is 1890 grams at the end and was for 4 servings... then you need to put 1890 divided by 4 into your individual containers. That would mean 473 grams goes into each container.

Make sense?
  • Makoce
    Options
    Do I make it for the whole recipe, or make a recipe for the mashed cauliflower, gravy, and chicken separate?
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Do I make it for the whole recipe, or make a recipe for the mashed cauliflower, gravy, and chicken separate?

If you are eating them together, make the recipe for the entire thing.

If you are going to eat them separate then separate the recipe.

Maybe you will eat mashed cauliflower some other time separately so may be beneficial to just separate them off the bat?
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    When I am cooking meals, I usually make separate recipes for each part of the meal. It depends though on how the food is eaten. Chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, each get their own recipe since each item is its own thing. Goulash is one dish so its only one recipe.

So for Crock Pot Pot Roast, I make a recipe for the meat and seasonings and another for the veggies listing the weights of the raw materials. After cooking, I separate the meat, the juice and the veggies, and weigh each part. I then decide how much I of that food would be one serving (typically 4 oz of meat and 8 oz of veggies). Once I know how much of the food is a serving, I divide the total weight by the oz of each serving and get a total number of servings. I make sure to put the serving size in the title so I dont forget how much each serving is supposed to be.

When I am going a soup or chili, I make the recipe with all the raw ingredients and after cooking weigh the entire cooked product. Same thing, decide how much each serving will be and do the math.

I usually will zero out the serving bowl or storage dish that I am going to be using and put the food in that when weighing. I dont weigh the food with the cooking pot since I never seen to remember to write down the weight of that before I put the food in it. And it might be after I eat before its empty to work the numbers us.

Each serving is usually determined how much of that food looks like it will satisfy my hunger. Sometimes its a little, sometimes its more.
  • Makoce
    Options
    If I weigh meat raw, wont the weight of it change after its cooked?
    Also theres the issue with the bones in the chicken, how do I account for that, then?

Also, say I realize I want 4oz of meat and 1 cup of mashed cauliflower,
    Obviously when I buy the chicken I know how many pounds it is, so I divide by that right?
    So if its a 2lb chicken, thats 36 ounces right? so thats 9 servings?

for the cauliflower, would i scoop out say 1 cup, figure out what it is in grams, then weigh the whole thing and divide by how many grams 1 cup is to figure out serving?

Sorry.. I failed math every year in high school
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I always pick the raw meat because once its cooked it is lighter. You cooked the meat with your ingredients and marinades or whatever so you cant just pick cooked pot roast or cooked chicken. It defeats the purpose of creating a recipe.

When I cook chicken or other bone in meats, I pick from the ingredient list the raw bone-in item.

At worst, you underestimate your meats between what you eat and what you cooked. But certainly not by much and its better to underestimate that over, at least that I how I see it.

You want to cook and entire chicken and cauliflower. This is how I would do it:
    Weight the chicken in raw form, say 3 lbs and add it to my recipe. Lets say 3 lbs of a whole chicken is 2000 cals
    Add any seasonings, chicken stock, etc to the recipe that is going with the chicken to be cooked. Add another 100 cals for this.
    I cook the chicken.
    After the chicken is done, I strip the cooked chicken of bones. It now weighs 2 lbs.
    If I want 4 oz servings, I divide 32 oz (1 lb = 16 oz, 2 lbs = 32 oz) by 4 oz and I get 8 servings.
    From the prior recipe that I created, I would change the number of servings to 8 and each serving size should be 262.5 calories (2000 for chicken + 100 for ingredients = 2100, 2100 divided by 8 = 262.5)

Because you would be eating white meat and dark meat in a whole chicken, plus the drippings and skin, the calories would be a little higher. If you were cooking bone in skinless chicken breast, it works the same way but you have pick that in raw form.

Same thing with Pot Roast or any other kind of meat. You start with the raw meat but do the math with whats left of the cooked meat.

If you want 1 cup of cauliflower, you would weight what 1 cup of cauliflower is in grams or oz (I tend to use oz unless its a small amount).
    I dont eat cauliflower but if its mashed like potatoes, I would create a recipe with say 2 lbs of cauliflower (raw) for 250 cals, 1/4 cup milk for 50 cals, 2 tbsp of butter for 200 cals, salt etc. The raw ingredients have 500 cals total.
    When its all done cooking, lets say you have 1 lb 8 oz of mashed cauliflower.
    If one cup of mashed cauliflower weighs 6 oz each serving would be 125 cals (1 lb 8 oz = 24 oz, 24 oz divided by 6 oz = 4, 500 cals divided by 4 = 125 cals per serving).

if you are using grams, 28 grams = 1 oz.

I hope this makes it less confusing.