Tired all the time since I started trying to lose weight

Options
Hi

Since I have been losing weight I have been tired all the time and have only really noticed that this may be the reason why. I do work a lot and am also a mother and a housewife but I have been soon that for the last three years but now I get home from work and I'm asleep on the sofa within an hour. I wake up tired falling asleep during the day is this normal?
Why could this be happening and do you think I am jumping to conclusions by assuming this maybe why? Thanks

Replies

• hf91
    hf91 Posts: 23
    Options
    Are you taking a multi-vitamin? You may be lacking in nutrients. Stopping by your doctor's office and having a vitamin panel done might be beneficial to you. It's not good to be exhausted all the time!
  • 7Allie
    7Allie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Two thoughts jump to mind and they both require the assistance from a physician:
    1) get your thyroid levels checked
    2) you may not be sleeping as well as you think. If you snore, then you may be waking yourself up and night and not realize it. It can lead to sleepiness/tiredness during the daytime.
    Hope this helps!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Unless you provide details about how you eat and exercise, it impossible to provide a meaningful diagnosis.
  • Chickee8586
    Chickee8586 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I tried to stick to the 1200 calorie goal. I upped my calories to 1400 -1500, and it's made quite a bit of difference.

You have to experiment with the calorie goal a bit to find one that gives you the amount you need to do what you are doing every day.

That may mean the weight loss will slow down until you find that magic number, but take some time to find the "right" level for you. It's different for everyone.
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    Open up your diary!

Make sure you're eating ENOUGH calories. Try to find out your TDEE & BMR (google TDEE / BMR Calculator) and eat above your BMR and below your TDEE. An aggressive number for weight loss is to subtract 20% of your TDEE from the TDEE number and eat that many calories a day.

Go get blood work, thyroid and other things checked if possible.

Also make sure you are eating enough protein and getting AT LEAST 7 hours of sleep a night. If you don't eat enough protein you will have crappy sleep, crappy sleep = being tired.

Eat more good carbs too! Don't neglect them, they are your body's first source of energy.

Make sure you're not over doing it! Sometimes you can work out too hard, too fast and it ends up being too much making your body tired all the time needing rest to repair itself.

Just some things to think about and look at.
  • silverteacup
    silverteacup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am going to agree with the suggestions here. Your doctor should be your first stop for a physical and blood work. Then maybe a multivitamin, and monitor your sleep and use MFP to take a good look at your diet.

If you are reducing your calories to lose weight make sure that the calories you consume are high quality. Just cutting calories won’t make it, you have to have a good balance of nutrients to feel good and to be strong.

Make sure you include exercise, losing weight without the exercise might make you feel fatigued. Focus not only weight reduction but strengthening your body overall.

Go to bed at a reasonable hour family or not your health has to come first and your family should support you in that goal. After all it means you will be stronger and healthier for them.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    As others suggested have your doctor check your thyroid and Vitamin D levels.

I too was feeling tired all day all the time and having trouble sleeping even on thyroid medication until my doc switched me to the name brand (another thing to consider if you do end up having a low thyroid) and taking melatonin supplements before bed.

Make sure to get daily exercise but not right before bed.
  • Hannahp1402
    Hannahp1402 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks all going to go to my doctor - have been thinking/knowing that I should go so gonna finally do it
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    NM , I've got nothing to add.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    First question that comes to my mind is how are you losing weight? Diet? Exercise? Both? Daily calorie intake? More info needed as to how you are losing weight and what lifestyle changes you have made since starting.

For me I am working out hard so I find myself extremely tired at the end of the day, but I think that's because I am physically working harder than I ever have.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Are you walking around hungry? Are you getting enough protein?
  • Hannahp1402
    Hannahp1402 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    No I am not hungry and I go over on protein nearly every day. I also currently weight 87kg down from 98kg. I am active with my job and general life at home with a toddler and a house to look after and sometimes I think that maybe I am tired because I just do alot with early starts and things like that?

MFP tells me to eat 1600cal per day and I usually eat around 1400-1600 but maybe once a week I might go over to 1800-2000.

Something I did notice when looking through my diary is that my iron is never above 30% do you think this may be the problem?

I am losing weight mainly through diet but have cut back on Insanity from 3 times a week to once a week along with two 3-5 mile walks on saturday and sunday.

Also how important is potassium because I regularly hit about half of what it tells me I need?

Thanks

Hannah
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I'm tired all the time, regardless of if I eat right or don't, if I exercise or not & even if I get a decent nights sleep. I've had blood taken before to check & all my levels came back fine. Perhaps you are just exhausted from being a Mum who works & tries to cram everything they can in 24 hours.

If you are really concerned, consult a professional :flowerforyou:
  • swimnwalk
    Options
    I'm an active and busy mother and I'm aiming for 1500-1600 a day with a bit of exercise. But if I feel starving, I will eat. My body is trying to tell me it needs it. I mean ... real, genuine, not going to be able to sleep if I don't eat hunger.

I am not an expert and I am just relating my own experience here - but I decided to low carb it at first and I was tired and often needed a ten minute nap to recharge in the afternoon. Medical tests were fine. When I increased my carbs and stopped being scared of them, I found I had more energy, didn't tend to need a nap and did better losing weight. That's probably going against the grain a bit here but it worked for me. (I'm on about the last 10 lb to lose if that is relevant). I agree with getting a medical check-up. Maybe consulting a nutritionist to check the balance of your diet would also help? Or maybe re-evaluating your work/life balance would be a good idea? Consulting someone who is trained in this field, who can holistically look at your lifestyle and diet, might be beneficial. We can only take guesses.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I find I 'use' caffeine a lot more when losing weight - just coke zero for me, so still not as much as many have (ie 4 cans would be similar to one large mug of strongish coffee).