Recommendations for workout DVD programs

Options
In four weeks I am finishing up my second round of Jillian Michael's Body Revolution. I have loved the program but ready to do something new. I was looking into Focus T25 but I have been reading quite a few posts about how much cardio it is and how it gets boring. I want to keep the strength training in my workouts and would really like to find something similar to Body Revolution. I also try to run two times a weeks so I feel like it may just be too much cardio.

Here is kind of what I am looking for in a new workout:

1. Around 30 minute workouts-- I like JMs interval training.
2. Something I do not have to buy a lot of expensive equipment or weights for. I know some of the programs are already expensive so to add the cost of equipment to it right now is really just something I cannot do.
3. Preferably something with a schedule as it keeps me on track.
4. Something that includes DVDs. I know there are online sources but I work out in my bed room and having to look at a little computer screen while working out would bother me.

I already have 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 but I do not know if I want to go back to the same work out for a week straight.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Replies

• kat2475
    kat2475 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I really like Turbo Jam and Hip Hop Abs. Hip Hop Abs is a riot and even my kids beg to do it with me.
  • lynnmarie96
    lynnmarie96 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Insanity Workout? I loved insanity, so challenging.. is a bit on the expensive side, but if you can buy it second hand its always good, I did that.

Ummm, some more of Jillians workouts? banish fat boost metabollism, no more trouble zones, 6 week 6 pack or 30 day shred etc?
  • fozzie500
    fozzie500 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    i like doing george st pierre's rush fit, only equipment you need is dumbells.
  • hellomanen
    hellomanen Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    hip hop abs is awesome! you have to be a bit into dancing tho! and you only need a mat and a couple of dumbells/weight gloves, it hits you everywhere and the abs days are to die for!, now if you want to go hardcore the go with insanity (you will only need a mat for some floor workouts and all the stregnt and will from the wordl coz it is DEADLY) anyway good luck!
  • whatsername182
    whatsername182 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I really like p90x. The four videos that I use routinely sometimes use free-weights, but if you dont use the arm video, you can easily use at least the yoga, legs and back, and ab ripper video without having to use weights for everything! (I havent tried the other videos in the set quite yet, its still pretty new to me) Each is about an hour or less, but depending on how I feel that day I might do half of it. Really useful for when I can't get outside or I just can't think of a new way to get exercise in that day!
  • Goldensun2014
    Goldensun2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just finished jillian bmr as well. I am now onto insanity. It's an amazing intense and exhilarating workout.
  • rede2go
    rede2go Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed insanity but the work outs aren't 30 min more like 40 to 45 and the second month if I remember correctly are longer! I am thinking of doing the T25! I looked at the discs and yes there is a lot of cardio but I know for me that will work and I really like that it isn't really long. I am a married mother of 3 scheduling stuff in can sometime be hard this length of video I can commit to. I just did the 30 day shred and haven't done anything since. I agree with you though I did insanity, chalean extreme doing 30 day shred same workout every day not my thing! I am sure you will find something and if you do please let me know!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I'm almost on my last month of Body Revolution (2nd round and doing it in conjunction with T25), and I'm doing a Turbo Fire/ChaLEAN Extreme/Brazil Butt Lift hybrid next. I would look into ChaLEAN. You need dumbbells, but the ones you used for BR would work, especially for the first round. It's 30 minutes with lots of strength and still includes cardio and interval training, it'll make you sweat like crazy, it's also a 90 day program with 3 phases, and Chalene Johnson is a great motivator. She also always has low impact modifications and people using different kinds of equipment, so it's really accessible for everyone. I loved Body Revolution and ChaLEAN, in my opinion, is the closest to BR without being repetitive. It's definitely a whole different program. Don't forget to check out youtube for the commercials of the programs suggested!
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I would look into ChaLEAN. You need dumbbells, but the ones you used for BR would work, especially for the first round. It's 30 minutes with lots of strength and still includes cardio and interval training, it'll make you sweat like crazy, it's also a 90 day program with 3 phases, and Chalene Johnson is a great motivator. She also always has low impact modifications and people using different kinds of equipment, so it's really accessible for everyone. I loved Body Revolution and ChaLEAN, in my opinion, is the closest to BR without being repetitive. It's definitely a whole different program. Don't forget to check out youtube for the commercials of the programs suggested!

I heard of ChaLEAN but was under the impression I would need like at least 25 lbs weights. You think I could get through the first time with 10s as my heaviest? I think by the second round I would be able to maybe spend some money on some adjustable weights. I am hoping to find a program that I can rotate throughout the year with Body Revolution so it sounds like it would be better than T25 since it seems to be lacking the strength training and I do not want to stop doing that for 10 weeks.
  • auzziecawth66
    auzziecawth66 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I would look into ChaLEAN. You need dumbbells, but the ones you used for BR would work, especially for the first round. It's 30 minutes with lots of strength and still includes cardio and interval training, it'll make you sweat like crazy, it's also a 90 day program with 3 phases, and Chalene Johnson is a great motivator. She also always has low impact modifications and people using different kinds of equipment, so it's really accessible for everyone. I loved Body Revolution and ChaLEAN, in my opinion, is the closest to BR without being repetitive. It's definitely a whole different program. Don't forget to check out youtube for the commercials of the programs suggested!

I heard of ChaLEAN but was under the impression I would need like at least 25 lbs weights. You think I could get through the first time with 10s as my heaviest? I think by the second round I would be able to maybe spend some money on some adjustable weights. I am hoping to find a program that I can rotate throughout the year with Body Revolution so it sounds like it would be better than T25 since it seems to be lacking the strength training and I do not want to stop doing that for 10 weeks.

There are a few people who show how to do the moves with resistance bands so no you don't necessarily need heavy weights (although would probably get better results if you did) if I remember correctly anyway it had been awhile lol
  • LessthanKris
    Options
    I decided to order ChaLEAN extreme. I see there are some affordable adjustable weights at Walmart but there is some warning about they can contain a chemical that the state of CA has found could cause cancer???? Is this a common thing in weights?
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I recommend FitnessBlender.com. It's a husband/wife team. They are not about making money, just providing good workouts. It's not a DVD but it is free and it allows you to customize your workout goals. You can choose the maximum time for your workout or look for a specific workout type, do a workout to target a certain body area, etc. The workouts vary from beginner to super high fat burners. They give good instruction and go slow enough when they start a new exercise that you can figure it out before having to do it. They show options for making an exercise easier and harder depending on your fitness level. They provide nutritional advice and also have full programs that you can purchase. I am currently doing a 4 week program. It was only $5.99. The program I am on right now only requires hand weights. They even say that if you don't have hand weights, you can use other times like a can of food or a pint milk jug with water, etc. However, if you choose to do the videos available online without purchasing a program, there is never any cost.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options

In the program, the modifier uses 5's, 8's, and 10's as her weights, so I would definitely say you could get away with it. Those are also the weights that I used and plan on using rather than adjustable ones. I prefer the rubber coating on the ones that I have so that I don't get blisters or calluses (I get them even with gloves). I might get some 15's soon, but I would say that the ones that you have (if you were using 3 different pairs with BR) would be fine.
  • LessthanKris
    Options

In the program, the modifier uses 5's, 8's, and 10's as her weights, so I would definitely say you could get away with it. Those are also the weights that I used and plan on using rather than adjustable ones. I prefer the rubber coating on the ones that I have so that I don't get blisters or calluses (I get them even with gloves). I might get some 15's soon, but I would say that the ones that you have (if you were using 3 different pairs with BR) would be fine.

Thanks! I have all those so hopefully I will be good at least through Burn. The Gold's Gym adjustable weights at Walmart have a nonslip rubber grip and are affordable so I may give those a try.
  • AllieRoyerA
    AllieRoyerA Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi! P90x3 and 21 day fix are great! They are both 30 minutes, and they are tons of fun! They both have set schedules, but p90x3 has 4 schedule options based on your goals :) Mass to gain muscle, lean, classic and doubles :) I am doing doubles and I love it! Focus T25 is also great, as it is Only 25 minutes a day! There are tons of beachbody programs to compare! I would certainly go look and compare them! Many are on sale now as we speak - 21 day fix is on sale today with free shipping - today is the last day, and Les Mills Combat and Les Mills Pump is also on sale! I can help if you have any questions - just shoot me a message :)