My computer is making me fat!

Options
Seriously. It controls all of my time, makes me avoid exercising like the plague and causes me make bad food choices. But I have to earn a living with the darned thing, so the computer and I are going on a new exercise and fitness regime.

My computer found myfitnesspal.com for me and it will enable me to track my efforts and changes. It's even going to help me exercise more. A lot more. A whole lot! Cause that's the key for me, I believe ... to get up off my "portable notebook computer platform" (otherwise known as my butt) and get moving.

Food isn't as big an issue for me. I work at eating healthier and I don't consume large portions. But I do seek better balance in my diet. I might even try those things called "fruits" and "vegetables!"

So, wish me luck and feel free to help me keep my chin up and my "portable notebook computer platform" down!

Replies

• Sailor1952
    Options
    Seriously. It controls all of my time, makes me avoid exercising like the plague and causes me make bad food choices. But I have to earn a living with the darned thing, so the computer and I are going on a new exercise and fitness regime.

My computer found myfitnesspal.com for me and it will enable me to track my efforts and changes. It's even going to help me exercise more. A lot more. A whole lot! Cause that's the key for me, I believe ... to get up off my "portable notebook computer platform" (otherwise known as my butt) and get moving.

Food isn't as big an issue for me. I work at eating healthier and I don't consume large portions. But I do seek better balance in my diet. I might even try those things called "fruits" and "vegetables!"

So, wish me luck and feel free to help me keep my chin up and my "portable notebook computer platform" down!
  • obliged
    obliged Posts: 465
    Options
    good luck sailor!
    its hard to start off with but gets easier in time
    welcome to the mfp family!:flowerforyou:
  • GlassKisses
    Options
    Good luck!!!! :happy:
    I am always on my comp so...I understand what you mean. :embarassed:
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou:
  • 150lbs2go
    150lbs2go Posts: 104
    Options
    Haha! Mine is too! I could look up diet after diet on this computer but I still am fat! haha and I wonder why! Jeez, good luck to you and those fruits and veggies :tongue:
  • MrPilon
    MrPilon Posts: 12
    Options
    Lol stay away from facebook!! that site will turn you into a zombie! lol
  • tanzmamma
    tanzmamma Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!!!!!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Ha! Yeah, being an IT Manager, I feel your pain. Basically, you gotta eat a balanced diet, and get up and walk around every hour or so. Add to that a regular (3 times a week or more) 1/2 hour to 1 hour of exercise and you should be good to go.

Good luck Sailor!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    levine200.jpg

In case you can't tell from the photo and didn't see it in the news recently, that is a treadmill desk. I have no coordination, however, and would do a face plant if trying to type and walk at the same time :laugh:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Welcome & good luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    levine200.jpg

In case you can't tell from the photo and didn't see it in the news recently, that is a treadmill desk. I have no coordination, however, and would do a face plant if trying to type and walk at the same time :laugh:

OMG!!! I am with you, I'd have roadrash on my face.
    I saw on an earlier thread where people are using exercise balls for computer charis for core training. Seriously thinking about that (for home though, I doubt my office would allow me to do it seeing as I can't walk to the copier without running into something)
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I use to have the same problem...and although it seems like I am here all day...already this AM I have...

Fed two kids, taken the dog for a walk, done the dishes, switched out the laundry, kicked my DH out the door after making his lunch and a pot of coffee, reorganized my closet (because as I was kicking DH out the door I realized when I looked at the shoes I left in FRONT of the door...I had two different black ones on all day yesterday...:laugh: ), I cleaned the living room, scrubbed my bathroom down, sorted through a stack of papers, and watched Good Morning America...and answered 100000 different questions about nothing me or my kids will ever care or remember. LOL

Anyway, I did also find this for you...Here ya go!!!

rick_treadmill-1.jpg
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Not to hijack your introduction thread Sailor.....

but

... I've been debating asking my boss if I could bring in an exercise ball for a chair. I'm afraid I'll look like a dummy though!!
    4-7%20ball.jpg

I guess to tie that in, have you thought about an exercise ball for a chair, Sailor? :smile:
  • tacoman
    tacoman Posts: 40
    Options
    Good Luck,

One day at a time. I spend a lot of time in front of my computer for my job as well and my solutions have been I try to get a round of golf in weekly prior to work and I use my lunch hour for a little cardio.
    It has not been easy but I take it one day at a time.

65461.png
  • Sailor1952
    Options
    Actually, I DID see that story. It was my inspiration.

What I did was add a shelf to my treadmill so I could place my computer on the tread and work while I walk. It IS a little tricky, but I can hold onto the tread and use the track pad. If I have to type I can step onto the side-rails for a moment.

I am also experimenting with voice recognition software, which I bought yesterday. This morning I composed several email replies while walking 32 minutes! I'll let you know if my bronco bucks me off, though!
  • Sailor1952
    Options
    Great idea but it wouldn't work for me. Osteo arthritis in my lower back! Even the 30 minute walk kicks up a lower back throb! But I intend to "play with pain" to meet my goals.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    As long as your computer isn't interrupting your personal life or your sleep, you should be fine. :laugh:

SleepingComputer.jpg
  • Sailor1952
    Options
    This should be my next goal ... computing as i sleep! Who needs people?

(Gulp! Did I actually say that?)
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    mine would if I let it too! Well done for deciding to do something about it and joining us :smile: you might even get to like the fruit and veg.
    Welcome :flowerforyou:
  • Sailor1952
    Options
    Just eating some fruits and veggies would be a minor miracle ... I mean major victory!

But liking them? I'm not going to hold my breath on that one. We're talking about a lifelong aversion to healthy eating, here!

But I want to be healthy so I'm giving it a whirl. I think I'll try a salad for dinner tonight ... I hear they're quite good. (OK, just kidding. I DO eat salads. Sometimes)