Salt? Can too much make you gain weight?

Options
So I have noticed that I have been really bloated lately and puffy. I took a look at my sodium levels for my intake and the are high! Can too much salt tip the scale?

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will retain water.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    Based on my experience, YES! I gained 3 lbs. overnight due to high sodium figures. I was advised by my friends to have a few low sodium days and drink water, drink water, and then more water, and more water. I lost the water weight in a day and a half. :) Good luck to you!
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Yes! And starting a new exercise routine can also make you retain water. I gained three pounds the last two weeks without changing my diet, and it was a combination of the two.
    Watch your sodium intake (read labels!) and drink plenty of water. That will help flush them out.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,599 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will retain water.
    This.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jenna808
    jenna808 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Yep, it will make you retain water. If I don't keep my sodium in check I notice significant bloating the next day and sometimes an increase on the scale if I weigh. I hate that feeling so I really try not to go over my sodium intake, and it's crazy how much sodium is in food when you start looking at it.
  • Yazza2
    Yazza2 Posts: 31
    Options
    Yep, because every salt molecule you consume holds on to two water molecules.. that's why you're bloated.. cut it waaaaaaaaay down.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    lol... sodium is the devil girl!:frown:
  • alibee88
    alibee88 Posts: 31
    Options
    Yes you'll be heavier on the scale, but it won't damage your long-term fat loss. I love salty foods so honestly, why would I care if it means I have some extra water weight when I weigh myself? I'm not going to eat a permanently low sodium diet and I have low blood pressure, so unless I was uncomfortably bloated, I wouldn't really care about sodium intake.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Salt helps to regulate blood volume and blood pressure. It is a needed nutrient.

You don't gain weight, you retain water (which of course will have an impact on your scale weight and/or the tightness of your clothing!) when your sodium intake fluctuates UP. Fluctuation UP in salt may also affect your blood pressure, can make you feel sick. You may notice this if you usually eat healthy during the week and then on the weekend have a treat/cheat meal and then your body reacts adversely.

Not to worry... increase your water, go back to your normal pattern of eating - whatever that is, and your body will release the water.