Here I go again. New Start. Am I crazy?!

Options
Well. Here I am again. Struggling to keep off the pounds I lost this past year. I lost 69lbs, but, I have gained 30 of them back already. I've been off program for about 7 months. I am struggling to get back on track. I am determined NOT to give up. I cannot allow myself to regain everything back. That has always happened in the past, PLUS more weight. *sad sighs* I hate how I feel right now. I hate how I look. I know I feel and look so much better with less weight on me. My doctor suggested I go to see a phsyciatrist. *LOL* He really doesn't seem to have any empathy for someone with a weight struggle. He simply keeps telling me, calories in, calories out. I KNOW THAT! What does he think? I truly believe he thinks that people who are overweight, are dumb! I know HOW to loose the weight. I have the damndest time keeping it off. THAT is my struggle. NOT loosing it. WHY does it keep coming back? What is wrong with the way my brain is wired? Why does my body CRAVE, demand, impulsively CRY for more more more? Maybe I am crazy?! *sighs* I get so frustrated with the yo yoing of it all. I get to the point of, why even try, it's just going to come back, with more! I guess all I can do, is keep up the struggle. Keep the faith that someday, somehow, I will succeed. Wish me luck! *S* Lori Anne. *sighs*

Replies

• naidanueva
    naidanueva Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes! You WILL succeed!! I read a quote yesterday that said:

"Your goals, minus your doubts, equal your reality."

Let go of any little doubt you have in the back of your head, and forget what people say or think.
    When it's all said and done, you'll be stronger for it all.

WELCOME BACK!! :)
  • niki1027
    Options
    oh my gosh!!! You took the words completely out of my mouth!! i have the EXACT same struggles! I lost 40 pounds and have gained 20 pounds back. It is very frustrating but we shouldnt give up! I am getting back on track too!! Good luck! I will send you a friend request and we can do this together!! Good luck!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    good luck...I know how that feels...although I have no idea what weight I got down to, but I know I was at my smallest I've ever been. And now I'm struggling to get back there. I think we're all crazy lol, but hang in there, use this website and the friends you make, it seems to make the journey a lot easier. You become a lot more involved in your weight loss, and you learn things that you can use for the rest of your life.
  • courtneyholt
    Options
    No not crazy at all, I have gone on and off so many times. Its amazing how we talk such a good game in our head but yet still order large fries and a double cheese burger at wendy's. And you have to love people who have no issue with their weight they just don't understand that its not a switch in our head that we can just turn off and not want all the food we are craving
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    LoriAnn,
    You can do this. You have shown yourself you can do this. It is not about how many times you fall, but how many times you get back up. I will gladly support you any way I can. Listen to the voice that tells you how strong you are, how accomplished you are. Your doc is wrong, it is not just calories in/calories out. You have to take in the right calories (nutrient rich foods) and you have to build muscle and cardio capacity to stoke your metabolism. The human body is a very complex machine and to simplify it just leaves people frustrated when they don't see results or maintain results. Stay on MFP, add me as a friend and we will all cheer you on.
    Risa
  • andeeinevansville
    Options
    Awww...Good Luck!! I know it is sooooooooo freakin hard to lose weight and KEEP it off!!! ugh...I've lost hundreds of pounds over the years and gained it back by yo-yo dieting...always ending up on the big side...This time I"m trying to do it in a way that I can actually live with as a lifestyle! Changing up my favorite foods to make them lower fat/cals so I can enjoy them..then I don't feel like I"m missing out..I've lost 17 pounds so far and it seems to be working..
    Add me as a friend if you like and we can support each other on our weight loss journey~Andee
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Options
    LUCK! I can totally relate to your struggle. You might find some useful information here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/superwmn

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Charmagne
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I too posted today that I am starting again. I at one point, lost 30 lbs and gained that plus some back. I don't want to gain anymore. I want to lose.

MFP is a great site. the support is great and we are here for one goal, to be healthier.
  • naughtydoguk
    Options
    If your doing this silly 1000-1200 calories a day thing you are damaging your metabolism in my opinion. You need resistance training in your routine as well. Weight loss with cutting calories and no strength training is reducing your lean muscle mass and once you eat at your old levels, you will put it all on and more as lower muscle mass = slower metabolism
    I know... I have done it loads of times along with most of the other victims around here.

You need to eat the calories as if you are at your goal weight now!!
  • naughtydoguk
    Options
    If your doing this silly 1000-1200 calories a day thing you are damaging your metabolism in my opinion. You need resistance training in your routine as well. Weight loss with cutting calories and no strength training is reducing your lean muscle mass and once you eat at your old levels, you will put it all on and more as lower muscle mass = slower metabolism
    I know... I have done it loads of times along with most of the other victims around here.

You need to eat the calories as if you are at your goal weight now!!
  • kimberly428
    Options
    Welcome back! I must be confused by your post, I took it as if you thought your doc recommending you speaking with someone about why you continue this behavior was a negative thing for him to do.
  • JeanneTops
    JeanneTops Posts: 2,618 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the up and down thing for 42 years. I've spent the last year here on MFP losing the extra pounds I gained over the last time's weight loss, plus the pounds that I gained back. I still have to lose the pounds that I gained back from the weight loss before that one and so on and so on. I've been losing and then gaining these same darn pounds plus some all my adult life.

I don't have any answers, I'm not sure there are any answers to find. You can read the blog of thoughts I've been keeping over the last year as I watched myself and others go through this.

I will advise this: don't do anything you don't think you can do for the rest of your life. Don't cut your calories down and go hungry. Don't eat foods you don't like. Don't take up exercise - type, length or difficulty - that you hate. Make the what you eat, the way you eat and the what, how and when of your exercise fit into your life as it is today.

Finally - and this may get me into trouble - don't look forward to "when I've reached my goal weight". If you're not happy with something in your life now, change it now. Want to wear a pretty dress? Buy one now. Want to eat a brownie - eat it now. Want a compliment - ask for one now. Want to feel healthy? Eat healthily today, get some exercise today. Want to like the way you look? Look yourself in the mirror and tell yourself you look great. Because you do.

Those things aren't going to happen just because you've lost weight. They're going to happen because you make them happen in your life now. If you can't do it now, you won't be able to do it at goal weight either. Work on making your life the way you want it to be now, work on feeling good about yourself by starting to feel good about yourself now. It takes a lot of mental exercise to get your thoughts and feelings and behaviors under your control and you'll need all the time it takes you to lose weight to develop that mental fitness.
  • LilMomee
    Options
    Not crazy. good luck 2 u.