ANKLE TWIST/KNEE INJURY

Options
Hi guys,

So about 2 years ago I was in a car accident and my leg had to be emergency repaired at the knee joint my tenant was ripped apart. i was in rehab for 6 months. I am 400 pounds but have Always been overweight, I am now starting my weight loss journey, my dad put the fright into by saying theres no way I can ever run, jump ever again because if my knee messes up again ill be in a wheel chair for life. I want to get my excercise in. and to make it worse 2 days ago i fell and twisted my ankle, its starting to heal but i feel like even with watching my food if i dont get my excercise in how am i going to lose,

so does anyone know of any excercises I can do in my room (dorm room) excercise I can do for now?

and after my ankle heals and i can walk normal again what excercises can I do with my leg, i think my fear might be worse than what could really happen but I dont want to risk it either.

thanks guys

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    You can lose without exercise--most of weight loss is a calorie deficit. As for exercise, you can always try swimming. When your ankle heals you can bike or use the elliptical.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    I don't know what is available for you, but if you have access to a physical therapist or a medical orthopedic doctor, I would recommend going to them and asking them about Dad's concerns and get a medical opinion so you know what the professionals say. Then armed with that info you can pick/plan an exercise program - I have a completely rebuilt knee but can run (although I hate it and don't) and jump - the weight is tough on joints, and the knee is a concern but walking, swimming, biking are all good exercise with no running or jumping involved.

Someone told me losing weight happens in the kitchen and getting fit happens at the gym... seems to me that just watching calories (kitchen) for a week or so while your ankle heals is an ok place to be; and then go from there.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    As long as you are moving you are burning calories. Fidget when you sit to watch TV or walk in place. You can also use canned food as weights when you are just sitting. Pace while you wait for food in the microwave. Listen to upbeat music, it tends to put a little bounce in your step. Swing your arms like a madwoman whenever you get the opportunity. If you sit at a desk or computer bounce your legs if it doesn't hurt your knee/ankle. Basically do anything you can think of to add extra movement into your day.

Plus like the above poster said, losing weight happens in the kitchen getting fit happens in the gym. You are just starting your journey so don't worry about what you can't do, just do what you can and be pleasantly surprised when you can do things you never thought you could.
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Maybe some yoga or stretching? Don't try and do anything too crazy, just nice and slow. Or put on some loud music and dance in your chair.

Once your ankle is a bit more healed, I'd recommend some swimming. If you've got access to a pool, swimming is a great low-impact workout. If you've got any questions, feel free to ask me, I'm a swim instructor :flowerforyou:
  • wordsandmusic51
    wordsandmusic51 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I started my journey with a double knee injury and had lost all range of motion in both knees. I have osteoarthritis in both knees, they are bone on bone, and can be extremely pain and limiting. I started getting Synvisc injections a year and a half ago, and the difference is incredible. The thing with knees is that once they are damaged, they go downhill, but honestly, the worst thing you can do for them is to NOT move. I began with chair exercises to keep strain off of my knees, there are a lot on YOUTUBE. Also, water aerobics is great when you have knee/ankle issues. YOUTUBE has a really huge amount of helpful exercise videos for those with limited mobility. The more you move, the more you will be able to move. You should always check with your doctor and/or physical therapist about which exercises are safe before starting. Also, the Tony Little Easy Shaper is great for very large folks to get started with a safe and effective exercise routine. I love mine!
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Whenever you have an injury, you just have to keep working, as much as possible, everything that IS NOT injured. If you aren't sure what exercises to do for each muscle group, then check out this link...you can click on the muscle group to see exercises you can do. Find at least one for each group that you can do, more to rotate w/if possible. This link has over 300 exercises you can do w/photos & video to show you how to do it.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

Experience...recovering from ACL surgery on right knee, recovering from 9 months of severe tendonitis due to a med side effect, taking a black belt test with broken ribs.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I feel for OP because the first time I became truly overweight was after a Jones foot fracture when I was in a cast for 3 months. Not only did I gain when I was laid up, but I continued to gain afterwards because my metabolism had slowed down. I had a milder injury last summer, a sprained tendon. What I did was pilates, yoga (favoring the good leg or going on knees for some positions because downward dog could be strain), and upper body training. I didn't lose, but I didn't gain. Also, you have to really watch your food because you're not burning the way you do just walking around.
  • loriwarnerpaulsen
    loriwarnerpaulsen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Exactly 1 year ago, I had a open compound fracture of my right ankle. I feel so limited for exercise and I am on this journey with you. Simply put, just move...Leg lifts....lift cans of veggies...arm circles...some theraband exercises. I looked up on you tube while I was bed bound for 6 months and found things that I could do. You can do it!! find anything you can to move. It's doesn't have to be standing up or walking/running. Getting into the pool would be ideal...no stress on any joints and you can really burn the calories.

Best to you. Lori
  • kammyrios
    kammyrios Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    There are free Zumba Chair workouts on youtube. You can work out while sitting in a chair.