New to running, help!

Options
I've been wanting to start running for a while now but I've been putting it off as my fitness levels were terrible and I hadn't got my asthma under control.
I've decided I'm finally ready to start running but I have absolutely no idea where to start,
what sort of distances should I be aiming for to start with? And what should my targets be?
Or is it easier to judge it according to time rather than distance?
I'm 5'7 and 161lbs if that helps?
Thanks!

Replies

• 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Find a C25K app and use that. It's great!
  • lucyloutoo
    lucyloutoo Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Second that.

I couldn't run for the bus when I started that app...by end was doing the 5k.

Repeat week's if you have to...it will be hard, but you can do it. :)
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    3rd that. I started with C25K last May, this afternoon I ran 8 miles. The process works brilliantly. Good luck :)
  • apeacefulway
    Options
    I use the C25K app by ZenLabs and it's an excellent trainer. I'm currently on week 5 and am loving it.
  • Mykidsdad1
    Mykidsdad1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Started C25K last year in April. Took me to the end of the summer to complete. Ran a 5K on Thanksgiving Day!

It works....Just keep at it.
  • lnhainstock
    Options
    C25K as well! I started running after my kids were born, they are 1 year apart so running was really my only option for exercise. I now run 5km with them in a stroller, pushing almost 75lbs, and this year I am hoping to run my first 10km! And I went from despising running to loving it!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I got to week 5 of C25K before I had to make something else up. I kept running slightly longer intervals with slightly shorter walk breaks for 30 minute workouts, until I could run the whole 30 minutes.

I wish someone could have convinced me earlier that I needed to go slower. No, even slower. Maybe even slower than that. Seriously, it might need to look like a run, but not actually be any faster than the walk. Slow.
  • Smallbluepebble
    Smallbluepebble Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else - C25K app and decent running shoes... Take your time with it and make sure you warm up and stretch out properly to avoid injury.

Good luck with it - you'll be running like a pro in no time :smile:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I use the C25K app by ZenLabs and it's an excellent trainer. I'm currently on week 5 and am loving it.
    A second vote for this app. I used it two years ago and it worked great for me. I am still running and enjoying it - ran a 10k race this morning! :drinker:
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    A second vote for this app. I used it two years ago and it worked great for me. I am still running and enjoying it - ran a 10k race this morning! :drinker:

C25K is how I started as well. Still going. :smile:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    however you choose to start - get good running shoes. Go to a running store (not a chain like foot locker or something) and have them analyze you gait. You can expect to pay around 100$, which is expensive but worth it.

Other starting out tips: most new running injuries are caused by doing "too much, too fast, too soon". A progressive program like Couch to 5k keeps you from doing too much. If you don't want to do that, you can follow the general '10% mileage increase' per week rule. Don't sprint your runs - jog at a conversational pace. You just want to slowly build up your base mileage, and worry about speed later.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to start running for a while now but I've been putting it off as my fitness levels were terrible and I hadn't got my asthma under control.

So what would you describe as your level of fitness now? Most introductory running programmes will make an initial assumption that you can walk continuously for about 20-25 minutes, and then build from there.
    I've decided I'm finally ready to start running but I have absolutely no idea where to start,
    what sort of distances should I be aiming for to start with? And what should my targets be?
    Or is it easier to judge it according to time rather than distance?
    I'm 5'7 and 161lbs if that helps?
    Thanks!

You can work to either time or distance, it really depends on you. The most common introductory programme is called Couch to 5K, but an alternative would be a Couch to 10K. The programme originated as a distance based programme, but is also available as either time or distance. The approach is to build up with walk/ run intervals and you can either download an app or use a fitness tracker app and use that, Runkeeper for example includes a 5K programme in their free options.

As an alternative there are several podcasts that do the same thing, although these are very much time dominated.

You'll probably start with a five minute warm up walk followed by several intervals of one minute running followed by one minute walking, building up over nine or so weeks to 30 minutes continuous running.

I used the programme about nine months ago, took 12 weeks to finish that and then moved on to other challenges. I'm now running about 35-40km per week and running a sub 60 minute 10k. I find it really enjoyable. Thorougly recommend it.

There is a C25K group on here that's worth engaging in - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the zenlabs app! I love it so much that I went to the 10k app when I completed it. I highly recommend this and I'm currently running 5+ miles a time. It changed my life.

I also recommend getting the Runkeeper app. It keeps me so motivated and it keep track of distance, pace, and time. It's cool to see how you progress over time.
  • Hoggestabben
    Options
    however you choose to start - get good running shoes. Go to a running store (not a chain like foot locker or something) and have them analyze you gait. You can expect to pay around 100$, which is expensive but worth it.

Other starting out tips: most new running injuries are caused by doing "too much, too fast, too soon". A progressive program like Couch to 5k keeps you from doing too much. If you don't want to do that, you can follow the general '10% mileage increase' per week rule. Don't sprint your runs - jog at a conversational pace. You just want to slowly build up your base mileage, and worry about speed later.

I started running 10 months ago with a couch to 5k program. Follow the advices in the quoted text. Especially do not do too much, too soon or too fast.
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i've only been running for about 2 years now. I consider myself a newbe.

I didn't have a program that I followed. (Didn't know one existed at that time)
    I got on the treadmill, at a slow speed (I think 4.9 which is around 13.5 min miles I think) I ran until I couldn't go any further.
    This was a short distance. About 1 minute. Next time I got on I would try to go a little further.
    I was doing this 3 to 4 times a week.
    By the end of a week, I think I was upto 5 minutes... Fast forward, within 3 months time, I was able to run a 5k, 3.1 miles. Still slow, but running none the less.
    I enjoy outside running greatly, dislike treadmill running.

My biggest advise for your, which was also given to me, is to start out slow. If you cant talk in sentences, you are going to fast.
    Side stitches were part of my running for about 3 months. After that, I get them occasionally, but not on every run.

Just start and you will be hooked in no time.
    Best wishes