Best running shoes for women?

Options
2»

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Another vote for something being off in your last fit if your big toe is breaking through the top after 3 or 4 months. That's just flat out not normal.

Go to a running store (different from the last one) and let them make recommendations for you. Try various shoes based on those recommendations (they should let you run either on a treadmill or around in the parking lot before you buy them) and see which one feels best.
  • MrsMekaShae
    MrsMekaShae Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store to be properly fitted.
    Below are a few great examples.
    running-in-heels.jpg

This is super cute!
  • trouble007
    trouble007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do find that works for you, I'd definitely buy more than 1 pair after you've put some miles in them to make sure they fit. Models are constantly being discontinued. I have horrible feet and my favorite pair of Nikes are no longer made or sold anywhere (ebay included). Stock up!
  • kaylarunshappy5
    kaylarunshappy5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    There is no such brand depending upon gender. It has to do with your feet and running style. It also involves your weight. Other factors include your arch, pronation, foot strike, surfaces you will run upon, and expected miles. Do you need a stabilty shoe? Nuetral? Cushioned?

Get the wrong shoe, you might end up with achilles tendinitis, plantar fasciitis, or other injury. Therefore the recommendation is to go to a place that specializes in running shoes. They should not just offer 1 model. They should tell you a type of shoe, and give you options.

This!
  • RunningMs
    RunningMs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with women's shoes,, I have really wide feet and always get holes. I have found that men's shoes tend to be a bit wider and I have been able to avoid the "toe" holes. A running store should be able to assess how wide your feet are and give recommendations on which shoes would be best.
  • Adomke89
    Adomke89 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Go to Roadrunnersports.com and take the quiz there. You put in your arch type, running terrain, miles you run, etc. and it tells you the best type of shoes to get.
  • SavageAbbey
    Options
    I like Brooks because I have bad arches. They fit like a glove. :)

I have heard these are good running running shoes. I have a pair of Nike and Asics for running. The Nike's are ok but I like the Asics ones better (for comfort). I just don't like how the Asics look. I'm going to look into the Brooks shoes.
  • SavageAbbey
    Options
    Get your feet fitted, it's not what's best for men or women, but rather fitted for how your feet are shaped and legs/knees are angled.

Sound advice
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I am really digging my new kicks. Merrell's Women's Barefoot Run Bare Access Arc 3. They fit my feet as though they were built for them, with a nice wide toe box and fairly narrow heel. I did some research beforehand, and decided that I wanted shoes that would allow my feet to move as though they were barefoot. I am of the belief that orthotics make your feet worse. I have chosen to correct my running mechanics and posture by strengthening the weak muscles in my kinetic chain, instead.

About 2 weeks ago, I tested how far I could maintain a 10 minute/mile pace on the treadmill, and lasted 1.5 miles in my old running shoes with the over-pronation correction that the running store sold me, based on their observation of my gait.

Last week, in my new shoes, I maintained that pace for 2 miles, and could have kept going.

My breathing is easier, my heart rate is lower, and my feet are more comfortable. I no longer feel like I'm running along with my feet on either side of the world's longest speed bump. I had my husband take video of my backside, and I couldn't even find evidence of any over-pronation.

I call them my magic shoes. But they're probably not your magic shoes. Or they might be.
  • jennahbooboo
    Options
    Roshe Runs by Nike are extremely comfortable and not too expensive. Definitely worth investing in a pair.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I used to tear holes in the heel of EVERY pair of running shoes after 2-3 months. I thought this was an issue with having a "pointy" heel, but in reality I wasn't choosing the best shoes for my foot. I have tried Nike, Adidas, Asics, New Balance, Merrills, Saucony's of different sizes ... tore holes in all of them

I now wear Vibrams 100% of the time and I LOVE them. It has been a slow process changing my form to insure I don't get injured, but they've been working wonderfully and I never tear a hole in anything anymore!
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I used to tear holes in the heel of EVERY pair of running shoes after 2-3 months. I thought this was an issue with having a "pointy" heel, but in reality I wasn't choosing the best shoes for my foot. I have tried Nike, Adidas, Asics, New Balance, Merrills, Saucony's of different sizes ... tore holes in all of them

I now wear Vibrams 100% of the time and I LOVE them. It has been a slow process changing my form to insure I don't get injured, but they've been working wonderfully and I never tear a hole in anything anymore!

+1 for Vibrams (for men or women)!
  • Fit4Yah
    Fit4Yah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I wear Adidas...I want to try Asics next time but the Adidas are doing great for me personally.