HRM.... need help choosing

Options
I am looking for a HRM to track calories burned and time in zone. I would prefer one that does a continual HR and not one that I have to stop working out and push the buttons. And I'm looking to spend around $100 (or less!). I have been researching and am leaning toward the Polar FT4. I would love to get some opinions from people with a little more experience than myself!

Replies

• T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    My opinion is anything Polar...but maybe Im bias...Ive had 2 and they are both money
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are not meant to be worn all the time - just for exercise. They will give you an inaccurate reading if worn all day. There are very expensive options for 24 hr wear - Like Bodybugg. Maybe someone knows of others that are less expensive. The Polars are definately for exercise only. I love my Polar F6
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I have an FT4. I just got it a couple of weeks ago, but it is fantastic. I think that having it on makes me work a little harder, and it definitely does everything you require in a heart rate monitor. It stores the info for you, too, so you can go back and look at it later, or work out and log it later. You never have to touch it as the chest strap does all that stuff for you. I am not great with technology or setting anything up and I still didn't have any problems setting this up. There are instructions for it in the manual, but you really don't need them. It asks you the date, time, your age, height, weight, etc... and you answer it. To start, you just press the "ok" button and let it pick up your heart rate, then press it one more time when you want it to begin counting calorie expenditure for you. To stop, there's a handy little stop button and you press it once to pause or twice to stop. I hope this helps.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I had an F4, and now have an FT7, both were good, but I like the FT7 better.
    Anything Polar will do you well.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4 last week and love it so far :D Once you set it to start exercise it keeps you're heart rate on the screen for the whole time you work out until you press stop when it will tell you how long and how many calories you've burnt.
    I haven't yet figured out how to use the time in zone part, the instructions in the booklet are only basic, but you can read the full instructions for everything online.

I would seriously recommend buying one, it's the only way to get an accurate guide of how many calories you're burning, I'm finding it is completely different to MFP's calories burned. It's not too expensive either compared to alot of others, I bought mine for £70 / $110
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I love my polar F6, but if you use the blue "search" button up above and search for "hrm" or " heart rate monitor" you'll find a plethora of adivce on HRMs.
  • MTLumps
    MTLumps Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - Polar will suit you well. I have a Polar, tho I can't remember the number and I love it. If you are looking for something to track calories during the day you might also try a pedometer that tracks calories. Just a thought... =)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/search

I have a men's sportline. I like it, it fits, has tons of different things...just do your research and figure out what you want it to do and how much you're willing to spend
  • becomingsara
    Options
    I COMPLETELY wish I would have saved further for a Polar.
    Do yourself a favor and go for the good one.

~Sara
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    Options
    I've had the Polar F6 for two weeks now and I love it. It's in the 100 price range. The thing that sold me on the F6 is that you can actually change the battery yourself. Most of the other models have to be sent back to Polar to have the battery replaced.
  • jsuemiranda
    jsuemiranda Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I'll ask Santa for the FT4!