What gives?

Options
Trying to get in better shape I started eating better and exercising mid-January with the goal of losing weight.

I eat well-balanced (mostly lean proteins and produce), 5 or 6 small meals a day. I usually have 1 cheat meal a week. I do HIIT and/or bicycling 3-4X a week, and I usually come in just a little bit under my daily calorie goal.

For the first 4 weeks or so things were great; I lost about 2 pounds a week totaling 8 pounds. But for about a month now, I have been much, much slower. Since February 6th, I have only lost 2 pounds total. And truthfully, that's measuring my "lowest low" and most mornings the scale has said the EXACT same weight for 3 weeks now.

Why?

Is there anything I can do differently? Is this normal?

Replies

• JoanneC1216
    JoanneC1216 Posts: 166
    Options
    I think you need to tell us more about you. Starting weight, height, type of exercises, calories per day.....
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Agree with the poster above plus opening your diary would be helpful. Higher loss in the first weeks is very common though, due to lower carb or sodium levels...

are you weighing all your food on a digital scale?
  • Sjonathanw
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'm 5'11", I started at 188, now I'm at 179 and stuck. I do have a food scale that I use, and I'm careful about measurements. I am a physician and my work days are fairly sedentary so MFP has me limited to 1,240 calories a day. For exercise I will do HIIT on a treadmill for 20 minutes or so, or if it's nice outside I will ride a bicycle for 45min to an hour (with varying hills, speeds, etc).

As an example, yesterday's diet was:
    BREAKFAST: 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese with blackberries and bran flakes. 184 calories
    SNACK: Protein shake with protein powder, a frozen banana, and almond milk. 260 calories
    LUNCH: a small portion of PF Changs, using their online nutrition information. I over-estimated at about 250 calories
    SNACK: High fiber english muffin with butter. 200 calories
    DINNER: A fish filet, steamed carrots, steamed snap peas, and steamed acorn squash. 411 calories.

TOTAL: 1305 - 150 (from a small workout) = 1,155
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are close to your ideal weight and therefore the loss will be much slower? The nih.gov site for body mass index (BMI) calculation indicates that for 5'11" just 178 pounds is within normal range, whereas 179 is at the least overweight BMI, so you are on the cusp. Many people on the MFP website comment that 1200 calories are too few for maintenance, because that level comprises a starvation mode, therefore too low for loss as well. Possibly if you change your goal in your settings, to a rate of 1 lb loss per week rather than a 2 lb loss rate, you will be allocated more calories. Believe it or not, some people I have known claimed (credibly) that they lost when they increased their intake while keeping their activity level steady.
  • Sjonathanw
    Options
    Any other takers?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You're a 5'11 male with 6 pounds to lose who is only netting 1100 calories a day?

My god, eat something! Then read this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,020 Member
    Options
    You're a 5'11 male with 6 pounds to lose who is only netting 1100 calories a day?

My god, eat something! Then read this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^^THIS.

You're a physician and don't know that already?

I am even more worried about the medical professionals now.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 10" and was 178, and I dropped 24lbs in <6mos eating 1600-1700. I currently maintain on ~2500. Eat, dude!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    5'11" and only eating 1240 calories? You have set your goals far too aggressively. Aim for 1/2 lb to 1 lb per week loss. Eat back a portion of your exercise calories. Or calculate your TDEE and set it for around a 15% loss for a 1/2-1 lb per week loss, and just eat that. You should be eating at least 1800 calories and probably at least over 2000 for your height, weight, and activity level.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Eat some food otherwise you will lose Muscle. Your a physician so should know this. the fact you don't is a wee bit worrying
  • Yazza2
    Yazza2 Posts: 31
    Options
    Drink more water.

WATER IS KEY!

A pint before each meal.. then a pint everytime you're hungry...
  • onelov3
    onelov3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    A man should not be eating anything less than 1500 calories a day, and that is for someone who is absolutely sedentary - no exercise whatsoever. I would start by upping your calories to there, then eating back AT LEAST half the calories you burn via exercise - that or setting a daily goal of about 1800. Also, don't step on the scale for a little while. Your body is going to have to readjust to eating more food, and seeing a gain might be discouraging.

Your body will thank you - and remember - food is fuel. Don't run on empty.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Drink more water.

WATER IS KEY!

Or, you know, a little more food when you're hungry rather than these Cosmo weightloss tricks.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Drink more water.

WATER IS KEY!

Or, you know, a little more food when you're hungry rather than these Cosmo weightloss tricks.

wait, you mean a glass of water before I eat isn't how to please my man? Damn you, Cosmo.

Also, I'm a 5'9 female and maintain on 2400 a day when not exercising heavily. Eat. Food is good.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Sedentary does not mean doing HIIT 3 or 4 times a week. I'd suggest changing your setting. You are not eating enough.

Just for giggles......are you a medical doctor? Isn't there someone in your profession you can speak with?
  • Sjonathanw
    Options
    Glad to hear I'm not crazy. When MFP suggested I barely eat over 1,200 calories a day I thought that was nuts. Has this happened to others? I put in my height, weight, activity level, fitness goals, etc. and that's what it computed.

Other than that, my days ARE very sedentary except for the times I exercise.

I will adjust and see what happens.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I am simply absolutely flabbergasted that a physician would not have realised that such a calorie intake was far too little for a man...heck, it is too little for 99% of females as well. I mean...speechless, almost.
  • Sjonathanw
    Options
    To be frank, it had me on 1,540 calories at first (which I still thought seemed a bit low), but with nothing changing for a while I changed my answer to the question about daily activity level (career, etc.) to the lowest one about 4-5 days ago.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Just because someone has a medical background does not mean they have a strong background in nutrition. In fact, nutrition education is commonly desperately lacking from medical curricula. Regardless, no member here should be criticized for a lack of understanding or lack of the confidence to follow their gut "knowledge" when faced w/ a tool telling them otherwise.

ETA: As for your question, OP, I agree with PPS that for your height & weight your goal is probably too aggressive & your selected activity level is too low. Healthy weight loss is NOT a race. You may also find that you feel better in your body even at the same weight if you increase strength training & toning exercises.
  • Sjonathanw
    Options
    (And thanks for those using kindness to help)