What to eat at a steakhouse that won't be too bad?

Options
Going to a steakhouse tonight, but could I eat that won't be too bad? Can I eat any steak or should I stick with Salmon?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,082 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever you want.

Log it, move on.

Life is for living. Manage it.
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    steak!! and salad maybe,or baked potatoe..or all three..lol..I dont eat out much and when I do its usually subway.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Both could be cooked in butter so ask before ordering. Personally, I'd get the steak. See if the restaurant's website has nutritional information to help with your decision before you go.
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Steak, salad, and veggies !
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    6 oz. steak, baked potato with salsa (no butter or sour cream), and a green vegetable or a salad. Very healthy!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Shrimp cocktail, salad
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Go to the restaurant website now—dishes that sound healthy often aren't.

Edited to add that if the website doesn't provide nutritional info, look up your menu choices here at MFP. The database has lots of restaurants listed. If yours isn't, find comparable items at a big chain steakhose (like Longhorn, to give just one example).
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Get a steak and veggies and/or salad. Check the website for nutritional info, but they don't all provide it. Ask for dressings/sauces on the side and eat smaller portions (be prepared to ask for a doggy bag). You should be fine. And if you're over one day it's not really that bad.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Sirloin will have the biggest protein/calories ratio and the fewest calories per ounce. Get it with a side of veggies and go with a nice glass of red wine or two. A nice night out needs to be enjoyed and you can still come out ahead.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - just go to the steakhouse and enjoy your evening out…life is way too short to worry about every single meal …I mean you can be health conscious and that is good, but don't let it ruin a good time. If it is a steakhouse get the stead …you can get a 6 OZ filet and it is only like 330 calories pair that with some mashed potatoes, vegetable and a glass of great red wine and you have a nice night out ….
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Stick to the leaner cuts of steak; sirloin, t-bones and filets are usually the leanest. Then side salad and baked potato. Ask for the butter and sour cream on the side so that you can control how much is used.
  • JuanitaLynne
    JuanitaLynne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Steak is good, just ease up on the carbs and fat. Veggies, salad, sweet potato option? No bread or sugar - get creative, you'll find lots of options I'm sure :-)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    OP - just go to the steakhouse and enjoy your evening out…life is way too short to worry about every single meal …I mean you can be health conscious and that is good, but don't let it ruin a good time. If it is a steakhouse get the stead …you can get a 6 OZ filet and it is only like 330 calories pair that with some mashed potatoes, vegetable and a glass of great red wine and you have a nice night out ….

^^ What he said. I would certainly, if I still ate meat, be having the steak with a baked potato and some veggies.
    Life really is short. Enjoy your meal out, I have not had a meal out now since Dec 31st.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

^^ What he said. I would certainly, if I still ate meat, be having the steak with a baked potato and some veggies.
    Life really is short. Enjoy your meal out, I have not had a meal out now since Dec 31st.

Someone definitely needs a night out!
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Steak all the way!!! Most menus will say grilled, fire roasted or whatever. Try and get one that doesn't have all that buttery saucy stuff they can sometimes have. Get a smaller size (ie 6oz vs 10oz) and make both sides a steamed veggie. If you don't have very many cals to spare, skip the bread that most of those places serve. Its easy to eat 1/2 the thing with butter haha

People are way too shy of red meat. Steak is awesome and sometimes salmon can be just as many cals.
  • ogon1026
    ogon1026 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I did Salt Grass Steak house for Valentine's Day and had the sirloin. I ordered it cooked without the added butter. Got a potato with fixings on the side and a nice salad with dressing on the side. I also got a to-go box as soon as they brought out the meal and put 1/2 in it for lunch the next day. It was GREAT!
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    a small cut of lean steak and lots of vegies are great
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Someone definitely needs a night out!

Definitely. Just no-one to have a night out with. Kinda boring eating out by oneself.