Hypothetical situation: You see someone stealing...

Options
Okay say you're at Target and you're just browsing around looking at the makeup section. Then all of a sudden you see a woman quickly shove a clearly unopened face cream into her purse. Let's say it costs around $20. She thinks no one saw and that she's in the clear, but you did. Let's say that if you don't do anything, she'll be able to get away with it.

So, what would you do?
Would you just ignore her and mind your own business?
Would you give her a dirty look?
Would you confront her about it?
Would you report her to the management?
Would you report her to the police?

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Last time I told management I was ignored.
    I stopped caring.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I tend to report crimes when I see them in progress
  • Sinisterly
    Options
    That's when I was ignored...
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Sadly, this has happened to me more than once. I report it to management every time. Some take action, others don't. I HATE shoplifters! It costs ME money, and I can't afford it.
  • malyce86
    malyce86 Posts: 28
    Options
    I would assume that maybe I misinterpreted the situation. I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt.
  • icame2win60
    Options

Ugh, that's quite a shame!
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

Many stores have been and are afraid of liability for detaining shoplifters. If their security/loss prevention doesn't witness it or they don't have it on tape then they may not stop the suspect.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Tell a manager...at least I know that I did the right thing.
  • Sinisterly
    Options

Many stores have been and are afraid of liability for detaining shoplifters. If their security/loss prevention doesn't witness it or they don't have it on tape then they may not stop the suspect.
    Had no trouble detaining me when I was innocent and 13 .-. LOL

But yup, you're right.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Doesn't matter. You did the right thing and put the ball in their court.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

But yup, you're right.

*tries to keep my mind out of the gutter*
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Sadly, this has happened to me more than once. I report it to management every time. Some take action, others don't. I HATE shoplifters! It costs ME money, and I can't afford it.

This....

And then let it go. I did what I was supposed to do and now it is out of my hands. I have not said anything before and it has bothered me for days, weeks even. Then I have been in the situation where I said something and nothing was done, and that bothered me as well. All I can do is all I can do. I did my part, now I trust that a power greater than me will take care of the situation.
  • Sinisterly
    Options

But yup, you're right.

HEY NOW!!!!
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

But yup, you're right.

HEY NOW!!!!

:flowerforyou: :tongue:
    67667 Posts: 14
    Options
    Okay say you're at Target and you're just browsing around looking at the makeup section. Then all of a sudden you see a woman quickly shove a clearly unopened face cream into her purse. Let's say it costs around $20. She thinks no one saw and that she's in the clear, but you did. Let's say that if you don't do anything, she'll be able to get away with it.

So, what would you do?

if it were expensive/or a dangerous item/or an act committed by a youth i would tell the staff member closest and i would make sure the staff member actually does something... it's best to get a lowly staff member and freak them out by asking them how their boss would react if they were to not take the incident seriously...

if it were inexpensive and i don't really understand why it is being stolen, i would probably not report it... however, if there is staff close to me, i may... but it is low priority. i would feel empathy towards the thief as i wonder over why they would do such a thing.

no dirty looks, no direct confrontation unless the staff are crap and i feel morally obligated to do something.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

So, what would you do?

I'd report her to management. Even if they don't do anything, then that's on them.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Well it's just a simple fact - when I want something and I don't wanna pay for it; well I walk right through the door, I walk right through the door.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    The walmart my dad works at gets reports all the time, including from employees, but they'd rather write it off than bother calling the cops it seems. That's how companies are these days.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I mind my business. I'm not on Target payroll. They have a loss prevention team, that get's paid. It will all work itself out in the end anyway. One way or another, or many ways altogether. It is what it is.
  • brandnewsnickerpuss
    brandnewsnickerpuss Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Well it's just a simple fact - when I want something and I don't wanna pay for it; well I walk right through the door, I walk right through the door.

Mine, mine, mine, mine, mine!