Easily Portable High-Protein Snacks

Options
I am an on-the-go toddler mom & nanny. I've really been struggling to get enough protein each day, but it seems many of the "go to" protein snacks are things I don't like. All snacks need to be able to survive several hours of being shoved into a diaper bag - lol!

My current protein snacks are: deli meat & cheese roll-ups, full-fat cheese sticks, nut butter, black beans & hummus.

Options I really don't like include jerky, seeds, cottage cheese, almonds / pecans & boiled eggs. I would also like to avoid protein shakes.

What other options am I missing??

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Yogurt? Tuna?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why no protein shakes? If you are unable to get protein through snacks, could you just focus on getting your protein during your meals?
  • ticribbs
    ticribbs Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Tuna would be one that comes to mind for me, they have those packages that you can by where they are already premade ready to eat. Fiber One granola bars with protein or South Beach has a really good dark chocolate protein bar this is only like 120 calories. Greek yogurt, but that won't hold up in a diaper bag :-/. I struggle with protein too!
  • Dragonling
    Dragonling Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Protein bars maybe? I know most are high in sugar, but there are some that aren't. I've heard good things about Quest bars (20g of protein per), though I've yet to track some down locally. Also I like most flavors of Good Greens bars, though they have half the protein of Quest.

http://www.questproteinbar.com/
    http://www.goodgreens.com/
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm a nanny, too! :drinker:

I'd recommend Greek yogurt. I try to up my protein in the morning, before I go to work. I use meatless crumbles (I'm not a vegetarian, but it's tasty and easy to prepare), an egg, a bit of cheese and spinach all scrambled together for breakfast. I know that when I'm at work, I'm around kid-friendly food all day, so if I've eaten a lot of protein in the morning I'm less likely to dip into the Goldfish crackers.
  • golgoroo
    golgoroo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like the protein cereals and protein cookie bites from Kay's Naturals. I usually put it an order when I can find a coupon code online that gives 10-30% off. Don't know how "natural" they are, but they are very portable, taste good, have low calorie counts & reasonable sugar/carb counts and high protein. They have savory flavors too, but I didn't like them as much. I tried a couple of the sample packs to find what I like.
  • ticribbs
    ticribbs Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    HappyCampr1 do you not taste the mix in your coffee? I've never heard of unflavored protein mix? What's the calorie content?
  • bribrijean234
    bribrijean234 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Luna gluten free protein bars are good
  • loriwarnerpaulsen
    loriwarnerpaulsen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    roasted chick peas.
  • caveninit
    caveninit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Luna gluten free protein bars are good
    Luna bars are the best...so yummy
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Quest bars
    Dried edamame
    Low fast cheese sticks
    Single cottage cheese containers (I like to top mine with dried edamame)
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have tried a couple of bars I like - Fiber One & KIND (though the latter are pricey!)... kind of forgot about those!

I'd like to avoid shakes b/c I am already subbing breakfast & sometimes lunch w/ a meal replacement shake (works for my busy schedule) so I'm kind of "shaked out"
  • oldmike1030
    oldmike1030 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I eat market Pantry (Target brand) protein bars. They are less expensive than the name brands, are tasty enough, and a good source of protein. No worse, calorie wise, than the others available.
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Chocolate chip cookie dough quest bars are sort of changing my life. They are awesome. 21 grams of protein from a snack makes a big difference in the daily number. I buy a box on amazon every week and a half.
    Greek yogurt is a good option.
    And edamame!
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    soy nuts are a good source of protein and can meet cravings for chips.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! I think Greek yogurt & protein bars will be easiest to work into my crazy schedule, so I'll try adding those in & see how I do :-). I also really want to start making my own hummus & am super excited to try... just have to find the time!!
  • charliesmumm
    charliesmumm Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if you have a recipe for roasted chicpeas? that sounds amazing but have never tried them before.