How much is too much?

Options
I've been finding I'm always going over my fiber goal for the day. How much fiber is too much? Is it possible to have too much? Help!

Replies

• Gershwyn
    Options
    If you were getting too much fiber, you'd know it. :)

Seriously, the only caveat is that you don't take the newer fiber spplements (PGX, etc.) with medications, as it might prevent absorption.
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    yeah i was eating fiber one bars at one point maybe 2 a day plus i think i was getting enough fiber from my diet after about a week i had the worst stomach pain ever, it felt as if someone was grabbing my stomach and twisting it .... and my coworker warned me about that, the same thing happened to her.. so i stopped and never felt that again. so you will DEFINATELY know if you're taking too much fiber lol
  • emersoam
    emersoam Posts: 179
    Options
    Yes, you will know if you're getting too much...and so will your family...and so will your friends...and so will your co-workers...

:laugh:
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    You will know when it's too much.

But as a general guideline, MFPs numbers on fiber (and protein) are too low. Change your fiber to 30g and try to get there (if not higher) every day.
  • jessicayoung82
    jessicayoung82 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have had issues with fiber also. I always go over but I have found that as long as I increase my fiber slowly to allow my body time to adjust and make sure to drink plenty of water I haven't had further issues.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You will know when it's too much.

But as a general guideline, MFPs numbers on fiber (and protein) are too low. Change your fiber to 30g and try to get there (if not higher) every day.

I switched mine to 25g per day and make sure I do at least that.
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    giggling at the replies! :) I aim for 30g but don't always reach it. Every few days I resort to Benefiber.
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    25g-40g is the minimum former diet dude gave everybody on his program and in general it is a good range. The more you go over it the more water you need to counteract it. The result of too much fiber is not what most people think it is, and is actually constipation.
  • nikhil_c8
    nikhil_c8 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    yeah i was eating fiber one bars at one point maybe 2 a day plus i think i was getting enough fiber from my diet after about a week i had the worst stomach pain ever, it felt as if someone was grabbing my stomach and twisting it .... and my coworker warned me about that, the same thing happened to her.. so i stopped and never felt that again. so you will DEFINATELY know if you're taking too much fiber lol

That might be a problem with Fiber one Bars...Try Kashi or some other BArs