issues with milk?

Options
chelso0o
chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
Long story short, I cut milk out of my diet several months ago because I stopped eating cereal for breakfast (in favor of eggs and whatnot) and had cow's milk for the first time today. Now I feel like I am going to die! My stomach is making these alien sounds and I have major cramps. But, it is odd because yogurt and cheese do not do this.

Is it possible to only be sensitive to milk but not other dairy products? Does anyone else experience this?

Replies

• Dressdrive10
    Dressdrive10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can't drink milk, but can eat yogurt.

I don't think that this is unusual.

It does sound painful. I hope you feel better soon!
  • JeffGDDG
    JeffGDDG Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Yes. For sure different dairy products can have different amounts of lactose.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant. I can't drink cow's milk at all but I can eat yogurt and cheese in SMALL amounts. I do get some stomach upset after eating cheese but nothing major like if I drank milk.
  • lizedelen
    Options
    I can't drink milk either. It bothers my stomach and causes loose bowels (sorry, TMI!). However, I can use it in cereal and I'm fine - though, I don't drink what's left in my bowl after finishing my cereal. I can eat yogurt, cheese, ice cream and other dairy products just fine. For some reason, I can't eat froyo (frozen yogurt) because that gives me the same problems milk does. I haven't been tested but I know based on my body's reaction that I'm sensitive to straight milk and some milk products. Try drinking almond or soy milk if you like the flavor and want to use it in cooking. I don't think what you're experiencing is uncommon.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I have issues with milk and only drink it once in awhile, now if I use it in a recipe, I have no issues, just when it's plain, also I sometimes have issues with ice cream. :sad:
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! I always thought that being lactose intolerant meant that you couldn`t eat ANY dairy. This is new to me because I used to drink a gallon almost every three days.

Crazy what your body tells you when you actually listen to it :blushing:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    A blood test many years ago showed I'm allergic to cows milk. Give me sinus but I do have it just not lots.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    OP, try lactose free milk. it's the same as regular milk, but without lactose. you may notice it to be slightly sweeter. otherwise, it's the same as regular milk. if that solves your problem, then it means you're starting to become lactose intolerant.
  • randomworries
    Options
    the last time i drank a half glass of milk, i had shivers and had flu-like symptoms for a night. also, diarrhea the next day. is this normal?
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it could be how it's processed.

But SAME. I stopped consuming dairy in November, and then I think in January or so I ate a creamy soup. Baaaaad idea.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,916 Member
    Options
    Try again tomorrow, could be anything.