Soda soda soda!!

Options
I am so guilty of drinking soda....my top two are Dr. pepper (23 tempting flavors) and Mt. Dew ( my kids call it snog aka sweet nectar of the gods). I try to stop but the headaches and cravings are horrendous. I need tips on how to stop the insanity! I've tried going cold turkey and weaning myself. Nothing seems to work!

Replies

• Ortax
    Ortax Posts: 98
    Options
    I used to drink regular Coke and Dr. Pepper all the time, then I suddenly transitioned to Diet Coke & Diet Dr. Pepper and I feel fine. Try taking Excedrin for the headaches. Eventually they'll go away.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I was drinking at least 1-2 2 liters of pepsi a day. I'm on diet mountain dew now as diet pepsi makes me gag suddenly. I wish there was a diet vanilla coke. It's not even the sugar that's messing with me it's severe caffeine withdrawal.
  • Dgadd17
    Dgadd17 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There's a diet Coke Zero! It's my hubby's fave, so I have it in the house all the time. For the OP, the Excedrin idea is not a bad one, since it has caffeine, but don't take it too much, since the acetomenophen can screw with your liver/stomach. Also, try to make the switch to diet. You may think it tastes nasty at first, but after a while, you really will get used to it. Although water's best, I totally understand the need for soda; my hubby's the same way.
  • Saltfae
    Saltfae Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I dont understand, I honestly hate soda. My one positive food vice. You will have to treat it like an addiction. I had to cut out all processed sugar from my diet. Right now I have a coffee addiction. Find a flavored water you like, or one of those water flavor additive. Lemon juice, stevia and water taste pretty good in the right ratio.

Also avoiding buying it and keeping it around the house helps.
  • FattyFatsoMcTubby
    FattyFatsoMcTubby Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've consumed 96 oz of Diet Coke today. Most days, I drink at least 36 ounces.
  • scrumdidlly
    scrumdidlly Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I buy loose leaf teas and brew them as Iced Tea. Some fruity one almost taste like juice but with none of the calories (unless you add sugar)
  • gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was drinking about a gallon of coca cola a day. I was seriously addicted. Like the person before me said, the headaches will eventually go away. My boyfriend who gave up coca cola as well started having a couple of cups of coffee a day to get caffeine in, but since I don't like coffee without a gallon of creamer added in, I just stopped.

And I just had to quit cold turkey. I couldn't have just one coca cola. If I had one, I wanted another one. Sort of like a drug addict. Or someone who's trying to quit cigarettes :)

I had to find something to replace soda with. I replaced Coca Cola with Sprite Zero. I know artificial sweeteners aren't the best for you, but I don't think I could have given up soda without it. Now I switched the Sprite Zero for water...at least mostly. I still want something other than water occasionally. I drink about one diet drink every couple of days.

There were times when I REALLY wanted a coca cola, but I tried to ignore them as best as I could and then eventually the cravings went away. And now I can have an occasional coca cola without wanting another one.

Just don't give up and keep trying :)
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    I used to drink Diet Pepsi like crazy .. and stopped cold turkey last August. I am having my first one since then .. as we speak. So it is a rare rare thing now. I probably will not have another one for 6 more months. I am fine with not having it cause soda is one of the worst things you can put in your body. Just my opinion of course.

But it can be done .. I did it just like that and no issues stopping at all. Your mileage may vary.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I wish there was a diet vanilla coke.

Those computer touch screen coke machines at some Burger Kings offer vanilla (caffeine free) diet coke... and a bunch of other flavors too...
  • Sunshine2plus2
    Sunshine2plus2 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda usually one a day!
  • Iggy585
    Iggy585 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I drink two or three diet Cokes/day :( Biggest problem is you can get them for a $1 from McD's here.

I'm slowly switching out to water, I hope to pretty much stop drinking them.
  • 24lol25
    24lol25 Posts: 49
    Options
    If caffeine is causing the bad symptoms, tea can be healthier alternative; coffee works too. Both are defiantly better than soda. Even the diet soda has bad additives in it, so it's not really so much better than regular pop.
  • JMel86
    JMel86 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I use to L-O-V-E mountain dew! Omgosh, it was bad, but I quit cold turkey, worst week of my life. I am so much better now, 4 yrs later. I have a mountain dew every now & again but it sucks. Not as good as it use to be. It's hard but cold turkey is the best way to go ;)