Must try foods!

Options
Okay everyone, there is something I must post because I need to know......are there any must try foods that you know of that are low in calorie, low in sugar, high in protein or high in fiber? I'm getting tired of my same old go to foods. I'll start....

Just tried a Dr. Praeger's Italian Veggie Burger....not bad for my 1st veggie burger. I'll actually eat another one!

Also just discovered Ron & Franks Sugar Free drink mixes. Best 20 calorie Hot Chocolate mix I've EVER had! 10 calorie Cider is good too!

Okay....give me more please! :happy:

Replies

• AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    frozen grapes! Sweet and filling snack. Bag them up in 100g bags = 65 cals and chomp away any time you fancy :bigsmile:
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    if you like chocolate... sweet riot chocolate covered cocao nibs... 1-2 calories per nib... a bit pricey though but only a few will cure chocolate cravings! i love boca burgers too with sandwich thins
  • goalsaregood
    goalsaregood Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been surprised and pleased with popcorn as a snack. My local grocer (Meijer--present in the midwest) has a store brand white cheddar popcorn that has been particularly good. Serving size is an ample 2 and 3/4 cups for only 160 calories. It feels like a substantial snack with decent fiber, and it tastes as good as chips.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I just tried - for the very first time today - a jicama. I think it's a vegetable but not positive. I am not a vegetable person - most I force down my throat. But the jicama is delicious. It looks a bit like an oddly shaped potato. It's crisp, light and sweet and full of potassium and vitamin C. Maybe you've already tried it. It can be eaten raw - that's how I had it.

Only a gram of protein but a cup has 6g of fiber in it.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2727/2
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    if you like chocolate... sweet riot chocolate covered cocao nibs... 1-2 calories per nib... a bit pricey though but only a few will cure chocolate cravings! i love boca burgers too with sandwich thins

I love Boca burgers also! And my new treat....Morning Star (?) has new Griller's Prime veggie burgers that taste a lot like burgers. I also love the Goodness Knows Almonds & Berries squares - 37 calories a square, and it kills my sweet tooth!
  • StPattysGrl
    Options
    I have a great salsa/dip recipe that uses jicama's, if you're interested!
  • JodiS75
    JodiS75 Posts: 284
    Options
    I just tried - for the very first time today - a jicama. I think it's a vegetable but not positive. I am not a vegetable person - most I force down my throat. But the jicama is delicious. It looks a bit like an oddly shaped potato. It's crisp, light and sweet and full of potassium and vitamin C. Maybe you've already tried it. It can be eaten raw - that's how I had it.

Only a gram of protein but a cup has 6g of fiber in it.

Jicama is a root - a delicious one! You find it in salads a lot....it's very tasty either on a salad or just like a carrot stick :tongue:
  • Audi68
    Audi68 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened Almond Breeze. I use it on cereal and in protein shakes. Really great for low calories.
    Bagel Thins. My husband even likes these.
    Vitatops. The chocolate ones are really good.
  • orange_avocado
    Options
    I've just discovered Bagel Thins and they are rocking my world right now. Just 110 calories and very filling. I looove bagels and was so sad that most of them pack a huge caloric punch (and eating just half is heresy!). Try the whole wheat for extra fiber (5g I think?)
  • Chiquita_Banana
    Options
    i jsut got bagel thins the other day with neufchatel cheese.. only 145 calories i fi use 1/2 oz of the cheese... LOVE it
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Just tried chia seed today. I added it to my oatmeal. It expands and becomes a creamy thick texture. Great in many recipes and will fill you up. Also, when of the healthiest things you can eat. Packed full of fibre, nutrients and Omega 3. Definitely will be adapting my diet to get more of it in.
  • cherfurr
    Options
    Thanks for all these great ideas!!