Wieghtloss, Diabetes and Disability

Options
Hi all,

My name is Camry and I'm new to the MyFitnessPal Community. I'm rather Tech Savvy, and spend a lot of time on the Internet-- and figured it would be a good idea to make the best out of using such tools. I joined MFP because I wanted to find an environment filled with people who have a desire to get healthy.

I have had Type 1 Diabetes for 15 years and was born with Cerebral Palsy; using crutches to walk. My main passions in life are music and Art, which I use as my own creative outlet... a way of coping however, weightless has been my biggest struggle in life. Not that I believe that I can't achieve it-- I know I can, but that is why I am reaching out to you for advice.

Though, I am limited in the exercises I can do, what is your opinion on using a Treadmill, and is it effective with cutting calories and insulin intake? Currently, I am only exercising by doing housework, but I plan on incorporating walking on the tread for up to 2 hours a day. Once in the morning, with the second being before I go to bed.

Thank you very much for your input,

Take Care and Happy Saturday :)

MissCamry

Replies

• GlucernaBrand
    Options
    I love your positive attitude! Any type of exercise is beneficial, and walking on the treadmill helps many people manage blood sugar levels and weight. Be sure to talk with your doctor about the treadmill, and get her recommendation for the best time of day to exercise and how long to exercise. You need to balance exercise with meals/snacks and insulin, and your doctor can help you come up with a plan that works well for you. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou:

Exercise is not necessary for weight loss - a calorie deficit is. Exercise can help you create more of a deficit and aid in the retention of lean body mass. With your disability, do whatever seems to work for you. Be sure and get plenty of protein! I aim for 100 g a day and I weigh 125. MFP's default setting is quite low.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Your attitude is awe-inspiring!:flowerforyou:

I have Type 2 diabetes, not Type 1 but I notice a huge difference in my fasting blood sugars when I'm exercising regularly whether it's the treadmill, elliptical or weights. Just remember not to overdo and test your blood sugar and balance your protein and carbs, you don't DKA or hypoglycemic episodes! Of course, you probably already know all of this (sorry, I'm a nurse, it's a knee-jerk reaction!) :blushing:

Good luck! :drinker:
  • dorothydavis16
    Options
    Hi Camry
    Sounds good looks like you are on the right track, keep up the good work.
  • MissCamry
    MissCamry Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks so much for the help :):heart: