Exercise calories

Options
I do not understand why if you are trying to lose weight you would want to eat the calories you just exercised off. Is that not defeating to purpuse?

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    No. MFP already has a deficit built in, meaning you can eat what MFP tells you to eat, NOT exercise and still lose weight.

By exercising you create a larger deficit, so that is why you should eat back some of the calories. It's never good to eat TOO little.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/12031-what-are-net-calories-
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You're not seeing how it works. If a person used to eat 2000 calories a day and were gaining weight (just an example), then MFP would set up an appropriate calorie deficit for them to consume based on their daily level of activity. If you are alotted 1400 calories, a defecit of 600 from that original 2000, then you will lose weight.

Now, if you eat 1400 calories that day and then burn off 400, your net is 1000, which is severely under deficit and actually unhealthy. So, you can eat back those calories and you'll still lose weight. It's all about deficit.
  • ruibineileen
    ruibineileen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I think, I understand.