food diary

Options
Do you keep yours open for people to read or private and why?

I personally keep mine open because it holds me accountable to what I am eating. When I had it private I almost felt like a closet eater, hiding what I was eating.

Replies

• michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I personally keep mine open because it holds me accountable to what I am eating.

Exactly!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Public. I was curious how the heck people were meeting their low daily goals when I first started logging but it seemed everybody's was locked. :(
  • RainbowSmiles123
    RainbowSmiles123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Open to friends
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Do you keep yours open for people to read or private and why?

I personally keep mine open because it holds me accountable to what I am eating. When I had it private I almost felt like a closet eater, hiding what I was eating.

I keep mine private. Folks on the forums tend to be quite judgmental over diary entries whether you ask for help or not so I would just rather not deal with that whole side of it. Besides, I figure my food choices are mine and no one's business but mine. I am not having a problem losing the weight or working on my exercise routines towards my goal of improved health and fitness. I can see if one were have a problem, perhaps opening their diary would be of help. OTOH, doing so really adds a lot of shaming and hurt feelings so it might end up doing more harm than good.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Public. I was curious how the heck people were meeting their low daily goals when I first started logging but it seemed everybody's was locked. :(

Low calorie goals are not as difficult to achieve as you would think. My food calorie goal is set to 1,200 but after doing research and calculating I set my macros from 50/30/20 to 40/30/30 eating 1,400 calories most days. Most days I eat back 200 to 300 of my exercise calories. It then became as easy as factoring in the food. My mid-morning meal is always high protein. I include protein with my mid-afternoon meal, snack and dinner. My protein goal is set to 80 - 100 g protein per day. I focus on high protein foods like tuna, cheese, eggs, Greek yogurt, nuts, beef jerky, meat, poultry, fish, and protein powder. Everything else is worked in around my protein goal. Once my protein goals are met I work in the rest as required.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    It's open to the public, mostly so my physician can view it, but also because if I eat it, and log it or not, it's still going to show up on me. I like viewing other's diaries, I assume others like viewing mine.
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options

It's not hard... I had to force myself to eat a second dinner tonight to avoid being at 900 cals.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

It's not hard... I had to force myself to eat a second dinner tonight to avoid being at 900 cals.

I have since read quite a few "how do I stay under 1200 calorie posts" and even seen a couple "post here if you have an open diary" topics :wink:

But still, case in point, BAM! After reading your post I was able to browse your diary to see what you meant. Quick and painless, thanks!!
  • Billybegood
    Billybegood Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Open xx
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My diary is always open, I eat gluten free and attempt to be dairy free too, I find it very helpful to see what other gf and df friends have for meals and likewise they find it helpful to see what I eat.

I don't find it about judgement but more about sharing ideas and recipes. :)
  • Deathlylooks
    Options
    I keep mine private, reason being I was on this site before and got targeted by some trolls who literally tore apart everything I was doing
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed. I have problems with salicylate, more than the majority, which makes the span of foods I eat very restricted. The better I eat the more ill I am. I don't need to be told what "I should do" when it gives me. breathing problems, pain, fatigue and so much more.

May I take this opportunity to add, during my recent reading I discovered sensitivity to salicylate predisposes one to low thyroid problems! Low thyroid then contributes to our metabolism becoming more compromised (read on both UK and Us Thyroid support organisation sites and the SS site chats) Our bodies are so very complicated, there is so much we do not yet know.
  • J3nnyBeanz
    J3nnyBeanz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone!! I've seen people informs point out a persons food choices and put them down for it. I like to look at peoples diary to get ideas for different meals and just to look. I don't judge i just like to look lol
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Private. I have an eating disorder and if I thought anyone could see what I'm eating I would "cheat" by not logging in. As it is, I log in every bite knowing that no one else can see it and I am accountable only to myself.

Even if that wasn't the case, I'd keep it private because it's no one else's business. If I wanted to live my life in the public eye I would have become a reality TV w**** . . . ah, STAR, that's it! Reality TV star!! :bigsmile:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    But the way I see it nobody actually knows who you are. It's really quite anonymous.

Honestly I wound up finding out that reading the forums and asking people about meals they described, if I needed to, was the best way to gather information on what I wanted to eat. The diary snapshots don't always provide a lot of ideas for me, since you just see the ingredients listed and not really a full description of how it's made , etc.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I leave mine open because I assume some people are nosy like I am, and idgaf what anyone thinks about how I eat.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Closed.

Mostly because it's my personal business, secondly and more honestly... shame and guilt when I actually log my binges. It's not like I don't know it happened, of course I do, I just don't want the MFP world to know when I snarf down 2000,3000,4000, 5000+ calories. :ohwell:

I've thought about opening it but I always chicken out.