Long plateau and not losing weight anymore?

Options
:sad: I started my weight loss journey a year ago. MFP recommended 1,200 calories a day and that's what I did.. for a good 9 months. Pretty consistently, I logged in my calories and did a lot of cardio, and I lost 55 pounds. I'm 18, 5'2, and I went from 195 to 140. Anyway, after I lost all the weight I kinda stopped counting calories and I got on birth control which threw me off for a couple weeks. I ended up gaining 15 pounds from all my binging in a matter of 2-3 months. So now I've been off birth control for 2 months and I've been trying to lose weight again and it's not happening! So frustrating. I've recently learned the benefits of weight training so I've been lifting 2 times a week and I do HIIT or cardio 3-4 times a week. I've been eating 1,200 calories and the weight is not coming off, and I'm working my butt off with these workouts and I measure my food correctly everyday, I own a scale. Can anyone please give me some advice? I read that I should up my calories but to be honest I'm worried I'll gain even more weight. I'm disappointed I let myself gain weight in the first place. Did eating 1,200 calories for a long time damage my metabolism? I just don't know what to do at this point to lose the weight. Any advice is welcomed

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I doubt it did any lasting damage to your metabolism, but your body probably did adjust to the lower calorie level. Good for you beginning strength training. Try adding 100 cals at a time to your daily total, and make those calories protein. Try it for a week, then up another 100.
    You are close to goal weight, so the weight will come off very slowly. Focus more on your inches at this point than on the scale. You may be able to drop your BF%down to where you want it, and not lose much actual scale weight. But how you fit in your jeans is more important than a number, right?

Be patient and keep working towards your goal, You will get there!
  • princesswarrior1116
    princesswarrior1116 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I've been through many months-long plateaus since starting a year ago. I suggest you keep on with your weight training, however, I suggest that you lower your weight-loss goal to 1/2 pound per week and increase your calorie intake.

I have historically had a problem with binging because of denying myself enough food while trying to lose weight. When I lowered my expectations and started eating a more realistic and maintainable amount of food, the weight slowly came off and I discovered I didn't have the urge to binge because I wasn't feeling deprived and hungry all the time.

Losing weight while working out with weights and doing cardio while maintaining a reasonable caloric deficit is the way to go.
    This way takes a long time.

Doing it this way will provide lasting results and a "diet" you can sustain long-term.

Also, when you are lifting weights, your muscles store/retain a little water while repairing themselves. It is not a reflection of gaining weight, it's simply your muscles doing what they need to do to repair and strengthen. This is a good thing and you shouldn't try to fight it. Don't pay so much attention to what is happening on the scale and concentrate, instead, on how your clothes are fitting. That will tell you, more accurately, how successful your efforts are.

Good luck to you. This weight loss stuff takes a long time, but it is worth sticking with.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck for months too. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I'm about to call it quits or just disregard MFP's suggestions and do what I know works, cutting calories severely and not eating back exercise calories. I don't recommend this to anyone, but I know it works.

If you figure it out, let me know.

Good luck!!!
  • ChristinWrites
    ChristinWrites Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Use a tape measure and not a scale if you are weight training. Use the scale - but let the fit of your clothes and the measurements tell you if you are losing fat. If you are gaining muscle, the scale may not budge, but your measurements will still go down. Muscle takes up much less space than fat - Also, 1200 is kind of the generic, blanket goal they give all females it seems. I can't do only 1200 calories without feeling like crap. I am 5'2 petite and eat 1350 base daily and I still lose weight steadily even eating back my exercise calories. Everyone seems to think 1200 is a magic number, but there is no one size fits all - you need to consider your age, normal activity level, height, weight, current amount of body fat etc. when figuring that out. There are calculators online that can give you estimates. I'd start there.
  • BeckyMBisMe
    BeckyMBisMe Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    OP, I'm no expert but I don't think you are eating enough. From my understanding you need to fuel those lifting and burning sessions. Figure out your calories expended and go from there. You are probably eating below your BMR at only 1200 calories per day. Good luck
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Consider opening your diary, state your height and goal weight, this might help you get better recommendations.
  • Angela26point2finisher
    Options
    Losing weight while working out with weights and doing cardio while maintaining a reasonable caloric deficit is the way to go.
    This way takes a long time.

I must remember this. Being at the same weight for a month + is frustrating. I'm exercising and eating right more then 80% of the time. Results will come.