Couch to 5k

Options
I posted yesterday on my newbie post about how I signed up for my first 5k in May....I just downloaded the c25k app and plan to start today! Anyone else doing this or wanna start with me? Any advice or info from people that have done it?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I did it. Advice ? slow down - it's more important to finish each run than to put in an impressive time.
  • hotmamajenE
    hotmamajenE Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I would love to start it with you! I alternate different at home workouts that I do and would like to do the couch to 5K daily. Send me a friend request if ya want to :smile:
  • MDF247
    MDF247 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I did it. Advice ? slow down - it's more important to finish each run than to put in an impressive time.

Agreed. I was so focused on "running" when I was in no physical shape to actually run beyond a jog that I was constantly suffering from dizziness and shin splints. I though RUN meant "Run as fast as you can". There is no need for that. Build your fitness slowly. When you get to your first longer run sections, you aren't running a race and there is no speed requirement, just do what you can even if it feels stupidly slow. Stupidly slow is fine if it gets you to the goal, picking up the speed will come naturally with improved fitness.

I did C25k this past fall, literally starting from not being able to run 30 seconds at first. I repeated a few weeks here and there when I felt I wasn't ready to progress or I had missed more than a day due to illness or laziness. I "ran" my first 5k at the end of November 2013 and just yesterday I ran 10 miles for the first time in my life (and it was actually running, not waddling).

Again, slow and steady... it's a program that pretty much anyone can complete unless one gets overzealous and hurts themselves.
  • pmur
    pmur Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I just finished mine. There is a couch to 5k group here with a wealth of information and a great group of people who helped me along the way with whatever questions I had. I suggest you join the group.

Regarding the program itself, take it slow. If you are thirsty, gasping, wanting to go to the rest room, those are all signs that you are running faster than your comfortable pace. Run a slow pace, finish the program and then once you are running 30 minutes you can aim to better your pace/distance. It's ok to be slow.

Good Luck! If I can do it, anyone can!
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm in the middle of week 2, you can add me if you want.
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm starting week 3 on Monday. You can add me, if you'd like. I could use some inspiration, too. :)
  • apeacefulway
    Options
    "The only race you have to win is the race against yourself - there will always be someone faster and stronger but there will never be another you, so look within and push your own personal boundaries." - Unknown

I just started week 5 of C25K. I am still in the obese category, so I definitely run slower pace than others.

The best advice I can give you is listen to your body. You may find you need to repeat individual workouts or weeks. It will reduce the likelihood of you getting injured or dropping out of the program.

Good luck with your training program and 5K :)
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Just wrapped up my final day yesterday. Going from not being able to maintain a one minute jog to being able to jog for 35 minutes just feels amazing. Here are a couple of my observations:

- Don't worry about the speed. Set a pace where you challenge yourself but can still carry on a broken conversation.
    - Your cardio will come around quicker that your legs. It may seem hard to believe when/if you are winded during the first week.
    - Take a day of rest between C25k workouts. Lift weights or do some other exercise but allow your legs to recover.
    - Don't worry if you can't finish one of the runs. Your legs may just need more rest between workouts. I think it was week 5 or so for me. I was not able to complete the run the first 2 or 3 times I tried. I eventually got that workout knocked out and finished the remaining workouts on schedule.

Good luck and have fun!
  • Sztheday
    Sztheday Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm planning to start at the end of march. I'd love to join you!
  • amccord2
    amccord2 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I just completed Week 1. I would love to have supporters, so friend me if you like! I use the app by Active and I think it's great! I like to run and walk to music, so I recommend getting a good playlist of songs together with your appropriate BPM. This prevents me from running too quickly and getting worn out before the end.
  • jojojeje
    jojojeje Posts: 2
    Options
    would love to join you!
  • 2014FitnessJourney
    Options
    I started yesterday!
  • rm183
    rm183 Posts: 3
    Options
    I started last week as well. Tough going so far - didn't realise how unfit I have become! New to this and looking for support and motivation as well so please add me as a 'pal'
  • aliamy105
    aliamy105 Posts: 15
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and kind words y'all! Just completed Day 1. It wasn't TOO terrible...haha...was definitely tired by the last jogging sequence but I'm happy I got through the whole thing. I think I will alternate doing this and strength training at the gym. How is everyone else doing!?
  • ThatLadyJ86
    ThatLadyJ86 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    OMG!! I did the first day of c25k today and the jogging segment really showed me how out of shape I really am, but I enjoyed it. I'm not giving up on it. I think day by day it will get easier. I encourage you to keep at it because jogging/running is one of the best ways to lose weight and be healthy and overall that is everyone's goal!! Good luck!
  • kar2083
    kar2083 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just started too. Feel free to add me if you like.