Milk Substitutes

Options
Almond milk. Oh, it's so yummy and creamy. I've used it before, but just in coffee. I actually drank a glass last night... 40 calories for 8 ounces and it was GOOD! I'm hooked. I was so hesitent to try it at first, but I am so happy I did. I've done the soy and I just don't like soy milk, but Almond milk is my new best friend and milk substitute. Just wanted to share my happy little find with all of you.

Replies

• ckehoe89
    ckehoe89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is good, and it comes it a variety of flavors. Soy milk is also a good choice, though it can be a little calorie dense. They make all sorts of soy milk varieties such as chocolate, vanilla, and even have things like pumpkin spice when it is seasonal.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would point out is that Almond milk has less than one gram of protein per serving, whereas milk has 8 or 9 grams per serving.
  • OGFleabag
    OGFleabag Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I LOVE almond milk! just discovered it myself. I think there is more calcium than regular? not sure. don't quote me on that. either way, I don't think I will be going back to cows milk.
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk every morning to make my protein shakes! It's wonderful stuff, regular milk almost tastes weird to me now LOL.
  • rmeadows71
    Options
    I've never been one to like milk...But I really like almond milk, especially with my protein powder for mixing up a smoothie, less carbs than cow milk too!!
  • beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i love almond milk and used it in my protein shake everyday. but it so low in protein that i had to switch to soy milk...that was a sad, sad day.
  • DeannaK
    DeannaK Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm an almond milk drinker as well, and it's really good! I'm lactose intolerant, so I had to find an alternative.

I tried soy (even all the flavors), and although many of my friends love it, I just can't adjust to that one. Funny thing that I don't mind tofu or soy ice cream though.

I also tried coconut milk.. not bad if it's mixed with something. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it has an odd sensation when I drink it, or have it with cold cereal. It's almost like when you stick a metal spoon in your mouth. Not the taste, just the same feeling.

As far as nutrition value, I just make sure that whatever I'm having it with, or what my meal plan is for the rest of the day is, helps fill in the gaps.
  • melcee
    Options
    what are the health benefits of almond milk v.s. reg other than if you are lactose intolerant?
  • DeannaK
    DeannaK Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    what are the health benefits of almond milk v.s. reg other than if you are lactose intolerant?

Here are some general facts about almond milk. Not sure how it compares with cow's milk.

Nutrition Facts of Almond Milk:

Almond milk is good source of magnesium. It can help to break down the food into energy. It can also help in the functioning of the parathyroid glands, which produce hormones that are known to be good for bone health.

Also, almond milk is loaded with manganese, selenium and Vitamin E. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that protects the cell membranes. Selenium is good for our immune system; it helps in reproduction, and in the metabolism of thyroid. It also prevents cell damage as well as tissue damage. It is packed with unsaturated fat, which means that it can reduce the risk of heart disease.

As almonds are rich in protein, they help the body with growth and repair. It is also a great way to boost your daily carbohydrate intake. An ounce of this nut can provide the body with about 12% of its protein needs.

Almond skins are a good source of flavonoids, which are good for cardiovascular health. They can protect your heart from various heart diseases.

Manganese can activate the enzymes in the body. Manganese and phosphorous can keep teeth and bones healthy.

Almonds are rich source of potassium which can help to improve heart function and to maintain normal blood pressure.

Almonds milk does not contain cholesterol and saturated fats. It has high levels of vitamin E and unsaturated fats.

Almond milk has zero fiber.

*** 8 oz (237ml) of almond milk contains 70 calories, 2gm protein, 10gm carbohydrates and 2.5 gm fat: 2.5g ***
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    My preference! Silk - originial unsweetened
    Alternative: Almond Dream unsweetened
    Do not like: Almond Breeze

For those trying almond milk try different ones and find the one you like!!