need weight loss and muscle gain

Options
okay I've started my diet down to pineapples granola bars green tea apple juice and salads some soups too

my question is what is the best way to get from 295lbs to 225 lbs and keep muscle toned and get from a waist size of 44 to 38

i also am starting a new gym membership next week at a 24 hour gym so i have access to the machines needed

just don't have a plan yet just goals plus a recently quit smoking so wanna keep the pounds off does anyone have any plan ideas or meal ideas to help

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't expect to gain any muscle while eating a deficit. BUT it's very important to lift weights to maintain as much of your current muscle mass as you can. Your waist will go down as your overall body fat percentage drops.

Do you know you BMR and TDEE? How many calories does MFP have you aiming for every day.

Here's a calculator to estimate your BMR and TDEE
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You need to do a lot of research, this post makes me facepalm.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Eat enough protein and do resistance training. Eat in a calorie deficit and you will get there.

You won't gain muscle, but you will increase your lean mass percentage.

Also at your gym - stay away from the machines - do either body weight exercises to start with and then move on to free weights (to start off do things like squats, push ups and if you can chin ups). With the weight don't get too hung up with work particular muscle groups - that will come later. Focus on exercises which will work large muscle groups, such as squats, deadlift, bench press etc.

I would recommend a session or two with a PT, just to get you started and make sure you are following the correct form, quality is better than quantity.

Good luck.
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    1. Remove the word "diet" from your vocabulary. Diets don't work (at least long-term), and they make you hangry and a miserable person.
    2. Is that all the food you plan on eating? Have fun with that. No, really. Food is your friend.
    3.. Eat all the protein.
    4. Lift weights. See fat disappear, see muscles appear underneath.
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Well if what you have in the post above is your actual diet, you really need a change up. You're not going to get sufficient nutrients or calories with what you have above. Healthy eating doesn't have to be a 1000 calorie rabbit food plan. You can have really good, filling meals, if you just make some small changes. Like wholegrain flour instead of white, lean meat instead of fatty cuts, frozen yoghurt instead of ice-cream, up the level of fruit and veg etc.. You shouldn't and don't have to literally starve yourself to improve your body. In fact you'll just do more harm than good if you're eating like that and working out several times a week. Look into good, clean eating, avoid fad-diets, exercise regularly (including cardio and weights) and you'll be fine.
  • troach2009
    Options
    im eating boiled eggs and meat too trying to keep it around 2000 calorie intake but not sure on exercises or routines to try while getting to my goal weight
  • troach2009
    Options
    cutting smoking and fountain drinks was my big thing now just green tea and juice
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    For routines I would suggest looking at bodybuilding.com. There are many programs that you can follow based on your goals, gender, etc. It's a great resource.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    okay I've started my diet down to pineapples granola bars green tea apple juice and salads some soups too

my question is what is the best way to get from 295lbs to 225 lbs and keep muscle toned and get from a waist size of 44 to 38

i also am starting a new gym membership next week at a 24 hour gym so i have access to the machines needed

just don't have a plan yet just goals plus a recently quit smoking so wanna keep the pounds off does anyone have any plan ideas or meal ideas to help

If you want to preserve muscle while losing a significant amount of weight you need to do three things:

High protein intake, in the neighborhood of 1 gram per pound of goal weight daily.

Keep the calorie deficit moderate. In general the faster the weight loss the more of it will be muscle.

Follow a strength training program, plus do some moderate cardio like walking.

(The most effective strength programs are the ones based on compound barbell movements like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. You'll have to either get coaching or do a lot of self education to do barbell work properly without hurting yourself. Totally worth it though.)
  • twilightattire
    Options
    If something (health scare) has prompted you to make all these changes, and your medical professional told you to lose 70 lbs and 6 inches off your waist without any further information or a referral to a dietitian, then shame on him/her. You need to consult a doctor or health professional to go about losing weight safely, esp. if there's already a health concern.
    Otherwise you may become discouraged or, worst case scenario, end up doing more harm than good to yourself by combining a fad diet with an extreme exercise program.
  • gmadkins2
    gmadkins2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

If you want to preserve muscle while losing a significant amount of weight you need to do three things:

High protein intake, in the neighborhood of 1 gram per pound of goal weight daily.

Keep the calorie deficit moderate. In general the faster the weight loss the more of it will be muscle.

Follow a strength training program, plus do some moderate cardio like walking.

(The most effective strength programs are the ones based on compound barbell movements like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. You'll have to either get coaching or do a lot of self education to do barbell work properly without hurting yourself. Totally worth it though.)

Good info here!!!
  • MrsVid
    MrsVid Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. I recommend The New Atkins. Also research Low Carb High Fat (LCHF) diet as well. In my opinion, carbs are the enemy - they create cravings and hunger pangs.
  • troach2009
    Options
    thanks for all the input on my current diet i have lost 1 lb in one week so that's not looking bad so far and as for exercise i think im gonna start off with 30 pusbups and 30 situps a day just to get my body into things ill let you guys know the progression i get from this routine and if its working for me if not im sure ill have more questions lol