3,100 over goal.

Options
So, my daily goal is 1200 calories + whatever exercise I do. I have been doing good the last 4 days. Last night, I came in contact with sugar and literally just lost it. I have "gained" 4.5 lbs.

I won't count my official weight until tomorrow, but I can't get over this guilty mindset. :( I'm so discouraged and it's the 3rd or 4th time I got down to 185 and went back up to 189-191 lbs.

I'm trying to just go back to my regular diet today, but I can't stop feeling guilty.

Replies

• mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    When you fall off a horse, YOU GET RIGHT BACK ON THE SADDLE!!! Don`t let that derail your success !! You are doing great, Just get back to it !
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Forget yesterday. There is nothing you can do to change it. Today is the day you control, so focus on staying within your goals today.

Also, since you ate about 3100 over your goal, think of ways to burn an extra couple of hundred calories per day for the next several weeks. That will help offset the extra calories.
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate 3500 calories above your maintenance every day for the last several days then you're fine and the gain you see is water weight. It's temporary , get back on it and don't beat yourself up.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    It's a brand new day!
    Don't fuss over you lack of control yesterday, focus on your control for today! It isn't the end of the world. Keep your chin up!
  • malyce86
    malyce86 Posts: 28
    Options
    Why don't you set your daily goal a little higher? If it was 1350 (for example) you might lose a little slower but it'd probably be more consistent. Then you could squeeze in a cookie now & again, which might keep you from binging. Just an idea.
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    lol this sounds like me... i usually don't eat it but i do have alot of crap in my house(for guests and stuff if i need to entertain i like too have something to offer, and i have good self control.) i mainly have a few things for my daughter who's 2 ( i dont feel like i should deprive her of being a kid within reason because im tryin to eat healthy.) but if i know im under my goal and i want a sweet or salty snack i know i can fit it in. just be careful how much you eat... you cant deprive yourself of things you love too eat just do it within reason and when you do it dont beat yourself up. everyone does it and if someone tells you they NEVER eat crap there lying lol... if you must do it just make sure your within your goal. alot of people when they fall off they just give up. you cant punish yourself just because you slipped up, just continue too move forward :) goodluck!
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Do you feel perhaps your calories are too low and not sustainable? Make sure you eat back some of those exercise calories if you aren't already.
  • ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Well you clearly know you didn't truly gain that much weight. Just get back on track and your weight will go back down. We all have bad days. (Well most of us anyway)... Don't let one bad ruin your motivation. I've had about 5 bad days in the past 2 months, but I keep on going.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Why don't you set your daily goal a little higher? If it was 1350 (for example) you might lose a little slower but it'd probably be more consistent. Then you could squeeze in a cookie now & again, which might keep you from binging. Just an idea.

This, but I would recommend nearer to 1500-1600 as the daily goal. With 70lbs to lose and being 18 yrs old, you can afford to go much higher than the 1200 minimum and still lose consistently. Just make sure you are logging accurately, weighing your foods and you will lose at the higher calorie limit while easing the deprivation. That will help prevent binges.

ETA: You could also "save up" 100-200 per day for a heavier day or two over the weekend without going over your weekly calorie goals.
  • TommyJensen1987
    Options
    One of the nicest thing about this place is the every day you get a new allotment of calories. It doesn't matter what is on the other day, whether you went over by a thousand or you were 500 short.

Focus on doing today right, and then figure out what caused you to lose it that hard. 3000 kcal is a serious amount of food to eat, you might want to look into why you did that and then learn from it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd raise my daily calories. If you've set your calorie goals too low and eat at too high of a deficit on a daily basis, binges are often the result for some people.

At around your weight, you will still lose at 1600 calories every day. And you'll be less prone to binge if you keep it at that.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    So, my daily goal is 1200 calories + whatever exercise I do. I have been doing good the last 4 days. Last night, I came in contact with sugar and literally just lost it. I have "gained" 4.5 lbs.

I won't count my official weight until tomorrow, but I can't get over this guilty mindset. :( I'm so discouraged and it's the 3rd or 4th time I got down to 185 and went back up to 189-191 lbs.

I'm trying to just go back to my regular diet today, but I can't stop feeling guilty.
    Well, considering you are young and still weigh quite a bit, I don't think it's all as bad as you think. First of all, to gain even one pound of fat, you have to go 3,500 over your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Your TDEE is most likely around 2,300 or 2,400 (size, age, but I don't know your height), so that means you only went about 700-800 calories over your TDEE.

You do not gain 4-5 pounds of fat overnight, unless you eat 3.500 x 4 or 5. It seems to me what you are experiencing is water weight and the weight of having all that extra food in your body. I advise that you just eat within your goal (but 1200 does sound kind of low anyway, which could be why you binged in the first place) and say goodbye to today's guilt. Today is a whole new day!

Keep up the good work and keep moving forward.
  • vikktoriagee95
    Options
    I updated my calorie goal to 1490 cal. it make me nervous but, if my way worked i would be under 185 by now.
    I also decided to have something a little sweet every other day (ex. dark chocolate) so that I don't crave it.
    Thank you guys. I'm trying to listen!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I updated my calorie goal to 1490 cal. it make me nervous but, if my way worked i would be under 185 by now.
    I also decided to have something a little sweet every other day (ex. dark chocolate) so that I don't crave it.
    Thank you guys. I'm trying to listen!

Great start! As far as the sweet, you can fit it into your goal every day if you prefer. It doesn't have to be dark chocolate unless that's your preference. Skinny Cow has some absolutely delicious treats that are 100-ish calories and easy to fit in. Snack sized candy bars are 70-100 calories and totally yummy. Ice cream, if you measure out the 1/2 cup serving, a great way to close out the evening.

Ease up on yourself :) Don't look at it as dieting but as rearranging the way you look at food and find the balance that you will be able to continue indefinitely.
  • malyce86
    malyce86 Posts: 28
    Options
    I hope it works for you! I really think it will :)