Best time to weigh yourself?

Options
My family got some scales and im looking for the best time to check my weight, i checked it twice this week;

I checked it on Monday 6.00 in the morning and it was 53.7kg

I checked it on Saturday 12.00 (afternoon) and it was 51.7kg?

I dont know which one is more accurate, or when the best time to check it is

Thanks

Replies

• ebayaddict0127
    ebayaddict0127 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I always try to weigh myself the same time once a week. Typically first thing in the a.m. after I pee on Monday. Your weight will fluctuate a lot during the day.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    You should always weigh yourself in the morning as soon as you wake up, after going to the bathroom if you need to and before eating.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning… after you go to the bathroom and before eating.
  • dizzysmile
    dizzysmile Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day immediately after waking up and using the bathroom. That time can vary a bit, but it will be a different weight most days. Seeing it fluctuate has helped me realize that just because I go a week without the number dipping, doesn't mean I haven't lost weight. It may just take a while to see it.

The time of day doesn't matter as much as it being right after waking up and using the bathroom, no matter what time that is. The scale doesn't know the difference of the numbers on the clock, just what your body is doing.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I weigh first thing in the morning. I get out of bed, go to the bathroom and then weigh without any clothes. Seems to work best.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning after I go to the bathroom and before I brush my teeth. I just check I'm in my 3 pound range and don't think about it again that day.
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there is a best time. It is all about consistency....if you weigh in at 1030 in the morning on Saturdays after working out so be it. If you weigh in on Wednesday evenings after a full day at 9 pm, done....What ever you do just do an apples to apples comparison. I have a friend that always weighs in the morning after his rest day. Just be consistent, I know that my weight is always higher first thing in the morning and always lower after a workout, it is just the way it is for me.

So do what is good for you but just be consistent in what you decide
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself early morning before bath, after pee! It is fairly consistent
  • Murph1908
    Murph1908 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I weigh in the morning after I pee, too.

I also weigh every day, unlike some people suggest. I understand water and other fluctuations. But I don't want to miss a low day. I get more discouraged not seeing progress than seeing normal ups and downs. If I would weigh only once a week, it might appear I lost nothing (or gained) that week.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Naked, first thing in the morning, after peeing.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    As long as you weigh the same time every day, it doesn't make any difference. It's all about consistency. The reason weighing first thing in the morning is so popular is because it is when we weigh the least and we like that.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options

QFT.
  • bloominheck
    bloominheck Posts: 869 Member
    Options

QFT.

LOL you know it!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you are willing to accept the fact of daily water weight fluctuations based on what you ate or your exercise - daily.

If you are tied to the scale more than you should be, weekly or less often.

Valid weigh-in to minimize water weight fluctuations.

Morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels, not sore from last workout.

Anything else is mere data point that may have to be lost in the noise of a whole lot of data points until you see a direction, but never knowing how much in that direction.
  • littleburgy
    littleburgy Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Morning. Empty bladder. Nekkid.

Only 1-2 times a week for me.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    See, I'm almost certain immediately after I get up is not the time of day I weigh the least. I prefer to weigh myself immediately when I get home from work. I'm usually hungry then and it coincides with when I change out of my work clothes. This past Monday I weighed myself when I got up (184) and again when I got home from work (181.5). I personally weigh everyday because I like to try to figure out the fluctuations and see what's normal. I also have the fear that if I only weighed once a week and saw no change it would discourage me. Weighing daily means I can write off a result I don't like as a high flux, lol. All that said I only consider the weigh ins immediately after work to be "valid".
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    12:34 pm CST on Thursdays.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    For me I tend to weigh at two time points.
    Every day, immediately after getting up and using the bathroom. And yup, naked (hey - even underwear weighs a few ounces!)
    Optionally, on days that I run, right when I get back. Subtract this value from the prior value yields the amount of fluid lost which I'll need to rehydrate.

Now there will be fluctuations. Anytime I eat more then usual, or if I have sodium laden fast food, chinese, pizza, etc, I'm bound to hold water for an extra day or so. Likewise, females are temporarily affected by menstruation. I would still weigh every day just to capture the data point. One feature that would be handy is if MFP provided a moving average to see the general trendline despite fluctuations. A way to get around this is to record separately and track moving averages on your own and just record that once a week in MFP.
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    12:34 pm CST on Thursdays.

So after this week you wont weigh anymore until the fall?
  • evie_07
    evie_07 Posts: 1
    Options
    For the most accurate weight measurement you should weigh in the morning before eating or drinking anything, naked, and after voiding both bladder and bowel. The most important thing is to weigh at the same time every day wearing or not wearing the same thing. In one day weight can fluctuate up to about 5lbs depending on voiding and what you drink and eat.