5 hour energy drinks

Options
What's in them (those little shot sized bottles, claim there is no sugar and only 4 calories). Are they bad for you?

I just started back at the gym this morning, and like last winter, I am dragging today and stuggling to stay awake. I didn't even do a very tough work out, just walking for 30 minutes and then half of the 30 minutes circuit training (there are some machines I still can't do because of my back), and I am sooooo tired.

I know I won't get used to it either, I worked out in the AM faithfully for 6-8 weeks last winter and I was always dead tired on my gym days, all day at work. I'd like to try the drink, but I'm leery, is it bad for you?

Replies

• bbombard
    Options
    I use them a couple times a month.. They work from me on those days I feel exhausted. I have not been able to get reliable "health" information on them so I have gone the moderation approach for now.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Im interested in this too. I drink coffee everyday but it's starting to not do the trick. Im trying to keep my eyes open right now as we speak lol
  • Raina0512
    Raina0512 Posts: 216
    Options
    I use them quite a bit. And my husband... he drinks them daily.

Are they bad for you? Who knows... :laugh:

... At least you're not alone!!
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Supposedly this is what's in them.....straight from the horse mouth:

http://www.5hourenergy.com/ingredients.asp
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I use them everyday and they dont affect me in the bad way. It also does not hold me back with my weight loss. If gives me that little extra that I need to get going. I have used the extra strength as well. Try it and see how it works for you. Make sure your eating a good healthy breakfest before you go that with a combo of complex carbs and protiens. That will help with energy and give you more at the gym
  • amanda1330
    Options
    Try SpeedStack drinks. You can get them at most vitamin stores. They are really good before a workout, too. My PT told me about them. They come in grape and fruit punch flavors, and don't seem to leave you feeling "jittery."
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    They are a stimulant caffiene drink. People with heart conditions or who are adversely affected by caffeine should avoid. I get heart palpitations!!!! I don't see how they can be good for you but they seem to work for some.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Try SpeedStack drinks. You can get them at most vitamin stores. They are really good before a workout, too. My PT told me about them. They come in grape and fruit punch flavors, and don't seem to leave you feeling "jittery."

SPEED STACKS ARE GREET TOO. I CANT GET THEM AS EASY :-) I LOVE THOSE TOO
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I use them everyday and they dont affect me in the bad way. It also does not hold me back with my weight loss. If gives me that little extra that I need to get going. I have used the extra strength as well. Try it and see how it works for you. Make sure your eating a good healthy breakfest before you go that with a combo of complex carbs and protiens. That will help with energy and give you more at the gym

I wish I could eat before the gym, but if I eat anything more than a granola bar, I get cramps. I do eat as soon as I get to work though.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'll give them a try. If everyone avoided them I probably would too, but it sounds like most like them, so I'll jump off the cliff too, lol. :smile:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to hear what couldbe wrong about these drinks.
  • ismatts
    ismatts Posts: 62
    Options
    I do not trust them, but what do I know.
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    My office manager at work actually just bought one for me today. Was going to try it out before my workout tonight. It has (for two ounces) 150% DV Niacin, 2,000% DV of B6, 100% Folic Acid and 8,333% DV of B12! But really, there isn't that much caffeine in it. Only enough equal to a cup of coffee (so it says on the bottle).
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    I use them every so often nowadays, mostly if I didn't get a good night sleep and I need a quick wake me up for my commute. They consist of lots of B vitamins. I don't feel a crash with these like you would feel with 'energy' pills. I was using the 5 hr energy's quite often when I first tried them out I noticed they started becoming less and less effective the more I drank them and at $3 each if they aren't really working anymore than why waste the money, so now just when I am extra sleepy so I can make that long ride to work (or from work).
  • dsmaddox
    Options
    I get them from Costco for about $1.80 each.
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    They are pretty good actually
  • Audi68
    Audi68 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I tried them awhile back and it didn't do anything for me. Although, I can drink a cup of coffee and lay down and take a nap, so it may just be me.
  • melcee
    Options
    I think vitamins would be better. There are drinks out there that have vitamins and that will also help you lose weight. If you're interested I can give you some names of things to try.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I hope they are not TO bad. We buy these by the case at Sam's. In fact we just bought 2 cases over the weekend lol. They sure help pep me up and give me the burst of energy to go running when I otherwise would not feel like it. (But thats just me)