Stronglifts 5x5 women lethargy

Options
Ok, so, I started SL5x5 in September 2013 and did pretty well until my holiday in December (or so I thought). I was nearly squatting my own body weight and hating (as you do) the overhead press.

So here's the thing, since starting again in January, I deloaded the bar to 40kg squat, and 20kg for everything else bar the deadlift. I'm now back up to 62.5kg for the squat and 37.5 for others with 70kg on the deadlift. Difference being, I am now doing the "*kitten* on the grass" squat as oppose to the quarter squat that I believed was ok before.

The pain is immense and I am putting off three times a week lifting simply because I know it's going to hurt, and I can't get my head around "failing is good".

Could anyone offer done motivational tips for me please as I really do see the benefits, I just hate starting exercise knowing that it's going to take me to the edge.

Many thanks.

Debs

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Not an expert but really should there be "immense" pain? Perhaps you need to lighten your weights a bit?
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Well there should not be imense pain. When do you experience pain and what kind of pain is it?
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Tell your body who is boss! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RahvWjoU9Xc
  • mrsmillsee
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. The pain on the squat is at the bottom of the move where it feels as if I can't get back up (Medhi says this is good) but for around 5 days afterwards I have trouble getting up from the sofa or office chair and climbing stairs makes me look like an old woman!

With the programme asking for training three times per week, I'm really struggling.

Debs
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think I would back off a bit. Weight training is like that, I think. You kinda cycle -- heavy, heavy, make progress, reset and back track a little while your form gets even better etc.
    I do a stronglifts kind of routine. But, right now, I am letting the number of reps I do creep up (to about 10 per set) rather than going up in weight because when I did go up in weight my form suffered and it was so hard I was dreading going into the gym.
    Maybe you could try that for a while -- back off the weight a bit, and do a few more reps.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses. The pain on the squat is at the bottom of the move where it feels as if I can't get back up (Medhi says this is good) but for around 5 days afterwards I have trouble getting up from the sofa or office chair and climbing stairs makes me look like an old woman!

With the programme asking for training three times per week, I'm really struggling.

Debs

I would look at your form first of all. Are you getting your hips back far enough? Are you keeping your knees out?

Next, what kind of warm-ups and mobility work are you doing? Are you building up to your heavy working sets? Are you using a foam roller or icing after a workout?
    Options
    I think 5X5 is too much uneccassary volume. You can make awesome gains even with going down to 2 or 3 working sets. IThe 5x5 thing is not moagical. As far as pain in the bottom, I'm still not clear from your explanation. So you feel pain at the bottom of the squat position, but where in your body do you feel the pain, and what kind of pain is it?
  • mrsmillsee
    Options
    The squat begins with pushing by butt out and bending the knees, so true to form following Medhi on YouTube.

The pain is in the lower back (even though I wear a belt) and in the upper thigh area including. I think I may have to de load and concentrate on upping the reps as oppose to trying to build strength.

My warm ups are usually either 10/15 minutes on my bicycle resister machine to make sure the legs are warmed up properly (similar on the warm down) and 2 sets on warm up squares. One on the bar (20kg) and one with 40kg. Both those sets are ok although the first squat is always a struggle even if there's nothing on the bar.
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    you should have a trainer at the gym watch you squat.

that's what I did because I sensed that I wasn't doing it right.

I was lifting with my lower back, and you mentioned you had pain in your lower back, so form may be your problem.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Are you losing tension at the bottom? Do you get butt wink? You really don't need to go ATG. If you are getting pain doing the movement that's bad.

If you need the handicap stall for days after doing the movement that isn't so bad. Your body should have gotten used to it by now though. There is a hypothesis that DOMS is caused by the muscles not liking to decelerate the weight. (similar to running downhill)
    Options
    Sounds like somethign that would be easy to fix. Like a previous poster, I wonder if you are butt winking. Butt winking is where you lack flexibility in the hip region so when you go down too far your pelvis tucks under at the bottom of the movement. That would cause this kind of pain. You should post a video from the side of you doing squats. This would be very easy to see in a video.

The other possiblity is that you have too much arch in your back meaning you are sticking your butt out too much rather than keeping your spine neutral.