Totally gross question

Twice now since i started my diet (almost 7 months) I have been constipated....the first time I got lightheaded .....today I actually passed out in the shower...i do eat....I had eaten a bowl of steel cut oats for breakfast ....but I didn't have lunch yet....when it happened the first time I was still taking phentermine but I have been off that for 5 months now so I thought it wouldn't happen again.....thoughts?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Opening your diary would probably help.

Also, how many calories are you eating?
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    How's your water intake? That would be the first thing I would increase. You can eat all the fiber enriched foods you want but it won't help if you aren't drinking (enough) water to flush it out.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Anywhere from 1200-1400 a day
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    not enough fiber or dehydrated probably and passing out usually comes from dehydration and electrplytes off or not enough calories look at your diet. log is closed so can't do more than give you general suggestions Potassium is important probably not your sodium although that can cause it too
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Against the constipation - drink more. I've also started adding a tsp of chia seeds or linseeds to a glass of water, waiting 5-10 min and then drinking it every morning. I had some irregularities and this seems to have taken care of it again.

Chia and linseeds release a sort of slime that seems to work like a lubricant in your digestive system.

As far as the lightheadedness goes - do you think, it could be your blood sugar level that dropped? I can't imagine it being linked to the constipation.

My blood sugar levels are more stable, when I limit simple carbs (sugar, white flour) and increase my protein intake. That also keeps me satiated longer.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Yeah - I can't see how being constipated would make you pass out. But the reasons for being constipated could - and most likely that would mean dehydration. So drink lots more!

I'm a 5:2-er and I fins that on my fast days, taking a couple of psyllium husk capsules before each meal helps to keep things in balance...
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Drink more water, eat more protein & possibly increase your calories. If you are still having dizziness, lightheadedness or fainting spells talk to your doctor.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Eat more and drink more
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    It's probably not the phentermine, that only stays in your system about 150-170 hours after the last ingestion https://www.healthtap.com/topics/how-long-does-phentermine-stay-in-your-system. Oatmeal of any kind causes a drop in my blood sugar about an hour after eating it; that could be the problem. If you're going to eat steel cut oats, have some greek yogurt or egg whites, something like that, with it. Or, eat a snack between breakfast and lunch. Something like an ounce of cheese with some whole wheat crackers or carrots with peanut butter. Something like that.
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    I normally eat a grapefruit in the morning for a snack but today was my day off so I was busy doing housework.....I am eating but I think I am stressing out too much about going over calories....
  • burbmama
    burbmama Posts: 51
    The passing out could be a drop in blood pressue and not food intake related
  • Ortax
    Ortax Posts: 98
    Absolutely disgusting
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Eat lots of green leafy vegetables: spinach, kale, mustard and collard greens.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    I normally eat a grapefruit in the morning for a snack but today was my day off so I was busy doing housework.....I am eating but I think I am stressing out too much about going over calories....

So you only had a bowl of oats in the morning and nothing after that? Wile doing housework?
    No wonder you almost passed out, please eat some food.
    Amd you might want to re-evaluate your 1200 calories, seems awfully low.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Twice now since i started my diet (almost 7 months) I have been constipated....the first time I got lightheaded .....today I actually passed out in the shower...i do eat....I had eaten a bowl of steel cut oats for breakfast ....but I didn't have lunch yet....when it happened the first time I was still taking phentermine but I have been off that for 5 months now so I thought it wouldn't happen again.....thoughts?
    i'm not sure how the constipation and passing out are related..?

I've always had low blood pressure. Need to eat something substantial for breakfast or I get dizzy & light-headed. I guess just make sure you have something like orange juice around, a little sugar hit can help.

But really, I guess you need to scrutinise your diet at the moment. You need to look at it as a means of becoming healthy, not just losing weight. Is what you're doing right now diet-wise good for your body?
  • Grannyfan
    Grannyfan Posts: 11
    If that happened to me I would first of all go get my blood pressure checked in case that is the culprit. I think a drop in BP is a more likely cause of lightheadedness than constipation is. There may be two different issues here.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    I passed out in the shower once and fell forward (thankfully, rather than OUT of the tub) and banged my head on the faucet.

The water was too hot for me. Heat can make me dizzy/lightheaded.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    I think that you really should consider asking your doctor this question rather than this forum, however good the advice you get here is, passing out is something that could be caused by so many things other than diet
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Go see a doctor.

Your constipation and dizziness could be due to low water intake. Increasing water consumption will increase your blood volume and blood pressure as well as help alleviate symptoms of constipation.

I would go get it checked out by a trained medical professional.