C25K and elliptical?

Options
So I'm on week 5 of c25k. I was doing really well and wanted to work out more on my "off" run days. So I started doing the elliptical for cardio. I noticed after doing this that running seemed way harder when I went back to it. Just a different motion I guess? Or tired muscles? (Clearly I'm not an expert)

So c25kers- what do you do on your "off" days? Do you think it interferes with running? I'm looking for some new ideas .

Replies

• teaparty75
    teaparty75 Posts: 170
    Options
    i'm also on week 5 of c25k AND i also do the eliptical for 30 mins on days that i don't run - i don't feel like it "hurts or hinders" my run days , in fact i think - for me- it breaks up the monotomy of just running all the time
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Cross-training in general (and your elliptical work is a type of cross-training) is a "good thing". Sometimes the muscles have to learn to cooperate at first (cross-training running, which is hamstring-intensive, and biking, which is quad-intensive, is a good example of that). You also have to give yourself some recovery time -- running and elliptical are both intensive lower-body workouts, so your legs might not be getting enough rebuild time. Instead of elliptical, maybe do more core or upper body workouts on your non-running days?
  • ClevaBlandfy
    ClevaBlandfy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've only done day 1 but I do Julian micheals workouts on my off days so I'm still getting my toning work outs
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    well elliptical should be way easier than running since you arent supporting your body weight, so it makes sense that running feels like more work because it is.

i lift weights on my non-running days : squats, deadlifts, benchpress, plyo jumps, BB rows, lat pull downs, etc
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I've moved beyond C25k some time ago but found that cycling was a nice compliment to my run training.

Also want to take exception to the poster that suggested that running is monotonous. To each there own but if running is monotonous you're probably doing it wrong. ;-)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So I'm on week 5 of c25k. I was doing really well and wanted to work out more on my "off" run days. So I started doing the elliptical for cardio. I noticed after doing this that running seemed way harder when I went back to it. Just a different motion I guess? Or tired muscles?

You're not giving your legs enough time to recover, that's essential particularly as running is quite hard on them. While cross training is beneficial it would be more appropriate to do something that's easier on the legs.
    So c25kers- what do you do on your "off" days? Do you think it interferes with running? I'm looking for some new ideas .

When I was doing C25K I swam or rowed on off days.

Now I run five days and do two bodyweight resistance sessions per week, along with some rowing
  • teaparty75
    Options
    I've moved beyond C25k some time ago but found that cycling was a nice compliment to my run training.

Also want to take exception to the poster that suggested that running is monotonous. To each there own but if running is monotonous you're probably doing it wrong. ;-)

I meant just doing diff stuff as opposed to only 1 form of a cardio workout.....but you're right I'm probably doing it wrong and I'm so sure you could show me the right way !
  • snappingosprey
    snappingosprey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming on my C25K off days.

I've noticed that just 20 min of swimming (sometimes just using the kickboard to work on technical aspects of my form) 2-3x a week has made my runs a lot easier (improved cardio/pulmonary endurance)
  • kickivale
    kickivale Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I didn't take off days when doing C25K, simply because my preference is always to "keep the momentum"
    I simply speed walked on the treadmill at an incline for 30-45 minutes, then did some conditioning and weights.
    I think the mental break is important...getting a workout that you know you can do no matter how little drive you may have that day. Walking is my savior on those days.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you need to rest the muscles. elliptical and running are close enough that your muscles were not getting any rest.

cross training is fine, but it is usually a combination of strength training and cardio. if you want to keep up the momentum with cardio, try the bike. uses different muscles than running.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I do JMBR and just last week was introduced to a R.I.P.P.E.D. class at my gym. Running alone isn't enough for me. Doing the JMBR has greatly increased my strength and physique making running easier. I tried in the past to do C25K without any additional training, and it was a flop, mind you I was 80 pounds over weight and extremely out of shape.
  • teaparty75
    Options
    I didn't take off days when doing C25K, simply because my preference is always to "keep the momentum"
    I simply speed walked on the treadmill at an incline for 30-45 minutes, then did some conditioning and weights.
    I think the mental break is important...getting a workout that you know you can do no matter how little drive you may have that day. Walking is my savior on those days.
    THIS !! The eliptical provides that mental break for me, perhaps because I see it as "less challenging" than running or jogging in my case