Pork bone broth??

Options
Hello! I've got some pork bones and scraps in my crock pot right now, simmering. I typically make chicken bone broth, and I know many people who make beef bone broth, but I don't know much about pork bone broth. Ideas for good uses for it? I was thinking it might taste good to use it in place of water for making rice, or to cook dried beans in.

What do folks typically do with this?

Shannon

Replies

• rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    So, the frugal cook in me always wants to do something with pork bones, but by itself it always comes out a little gross. I typically stick them in the freezer and then pull them out to simmer later with other bones (beef, veal) to make Sunday gravy (red meat sauce).
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Split pea soup, cuban black beans, red beans, and I'm sure many other soups. It would also be good with southern style collards or other greens.
  • corinneselene
    corinneselene Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I agree with StraubreyR... Perfect for soups and beans...obviously it would also be excellent reduced as part of a sauce for basically any meat or pasta.

I love pork bone broth with some soy, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, ramen noodle/homemade veggie dumplings, scallions, bok choy/spinach and whatever else you want to throw in there. But, alot of the time I will do it with some vegetable broth too!
  • SAR4Life
    SAR4Life Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hello! I've got some pork bones and scraps in my crock pot right now, simmering. I typically make chicken bone broth, and I know many people who make beef bone broth, but I don't know much about pork bone broth. Ideas for good uses for it? I was thinking it might taste good to use it in place of water for making rice, or to cook dried beans in.

What do folks typically do with this?

Shannon

you are totally on the right track..that's usuallywhat I do with them... I've got ox tails on the stove right now!
  • eso2012
    eso2012 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Saw that frequently on Japanese noodle menus. I *think* Korean soup as well, don't quote me on this one. Maybe worth googling for those recipes just to try?
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I drink bone broth or bouillon as a hot beverage, as part of my keto lifestyle. It is very healthy. I also use it as a basis for soup.