Not enough calories...

Options
Hi everyone! I'm 18 and in college and am currently trying to lose about 25 pounds or so, or until I'm happy with how I look. I was eating about1700- 2000+ calories before and poorly, eating many many carbs, mostly white. About 3 weeks ago I changed this and followed the 500 calorie deficit to lose about 2 pounds a week. Now I'm set to eat about 1200 calories a day, however, I never reach this value, ever. Then, when I work out (which burns 450+ calories), I get nowhere even near the number I'm allowed including those. I eat when I'm hungry, and even when I'm not. I eat lots of fruits and veggies, yogurt, chicken, and turkey. I snack as well on things such as fat free popcorn that's also low carb, and veggie sticks, and even Cheez-Itz. I'm usually 300+ calories short, and that's the minimum. The foods that have high caloric value are loaded with fat and carbs, so I stay away. I started what will be 3 weeks ago this upcoming Tuesday, and have already lost a bit over 8 pounds. I love the weight loss but am afraid if I start having things that meet these values, the weight loss won't come off as it is now. Am I being restricting? It doesn't feel like it at all, because I feel like I'm eating a lot. Help!!

Replies

• megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Stop avoiding fats and Carbs. There's nothing wrong with either...you need them. Eat healthy well balanced meals and snacks....and stick to the macros MFP gave you.
    Also....2# a week may be too aggressive a goal for you. Slower is healthier and more sustainable ...and more likely to be successful.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of opinions on carbs and bla bla bla, but keep this in mind:

You cannot do low fat AND low carb. its not good for your body, it wont have what it needs to burn while you are working out. You are 3 weeks in, but if you keep that up you will crash. I know because I did.

I personally do low carb, high fat. It's not a popular diet on MFP, but its what works for me. I choose my fats very wisely, just because I can eat fat doesn't mean all fats are treated the same. I eat avocados, nuts, butter and cheeses as my fats.

Let me restate, I am not telling you that my diet is right and you should do it. It's right for me, and if you are interested I can share more of it with you, but to each their own when it comes to how they want to lose the weight.
  • sperlifts
    sperlifts Posts: 62
    Options
    First off a 500 calorie deficit if done for 7 days should result in a 1lb loss.

A couple foods that have a higher caloric value are: almonds (really any nuts) and avocado (these foods have good fats and some fiber too!)

Have an apple and peanut butter or a banana and peanut butter, apple and some cheese, black berries and full fat greek yogurt, toast with peanut butter and banana... (can you tell i like peanut butter haha)
  • rjmelton
    rjmelton Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I often find myself in the same position. My doctor put me on 1700 calories a day and there are days when I am forcing myself to eat more just to hit 1500.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I think you have an unhealthy idea about food, first off. As the posters above said, you need fats, and carbs--especially the healthy kinds. and IF you're going to cave in to low fat/low carb, you can't be cutting both! what's left? only protein. Thats absurd. don't cut out anything you literally dont plan to eliminate for LIFE--best advice i ever heard for weight loss.

you didnt post your stats, but im guessing you're already at a decent weight. 2lbs a week is tough, especially when you're already starting out relatively fit. Its easier for somebody who is obese to lose 2lbs a week than somebody who is fit. i couldn't see more than just the one picture, but i see only one chin and what appears to be a healthy girl, so i really think you should consider eating more calories.

if you're legitimately not hungry [i get it. sometimes i have to literally MAKE myself eat, i never FEEL hungry], consider drinking your calories. protein shakes, booster juices, add some olive oil to your foods, stuff like that. I bet if you add just a couple hundred more calories to your daily totals, you'll start seeing better results. ive noticed when i eat, i drop weight like THAT *snaps fingers* When i whine AHH so much food, and eat like 1100 calories a day, nothing at all happens. or worse.

My $0.02. good luck on your journey.
  • aless820
    aless820 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I certainly do not restrict on what I'm having. My yogurts have 15-20g of carbs each, as well as my oatmeal, the sandwiches I make with wheat bread, etc. I do indulge in things like peanut butter with my apple or banana. I don't eat nuts or avocados but I make up for it by having cheese on turkey burgers and on sandwiches.
  • JennaHW
    JennaHW Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing a great job. Just make sure you get your proteins and your vegetables. Some people have higher metabolism than others so you might just have more muscles to help your metabolism. I eat a lot too usually after I work out because that's about the only time I get hungry but sometimes, I don't make the calorie number either and I also drink a lot of water. Just make sure you're not getting dizzy or headaches from not eating that's actually a sign that your body is in starvation mode. Other than that keep up the good work.
  • JennaHW
    JennaHW Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    BTW Bacon is bad for you. Heart attacks is the number one killer of men and the number 2 silent killer of women. Stop eating Bacon. Eat the good fats.
  • aless820
    Options
    I love oatmeal because it's a good source of carbs, it has plenty of fiber, and it has whole grains.
    Haha I love bacon but rarely eat it. The only time I get any form of dizziness is when I just finish working out and have nothing left in me, but I replenish with protein within an hour or so!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    BTW Bacon is bad for you. Heart attacks is the number one killer of men and the number 2 silent killer of women. Stop eating Bacon. Eat the good fats.

are you serious????

there is nothing wrong with bacon...

But of course after your first post mentioning starvation mode says it all....
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

What the...? Bacon causes heart attacks now? WTF am I allowed to eat anymore?
  • aless820
    Options
    Bacon can be healthy, but it can also be unhealthy. It depends on if it's microwaved versus fried in oil, turkey bacon versus pork, etc.
  • aless820
    Options
    Bacon fried in lots of oil in large amounts can yes, cause heart attacks. The oil, in large amounts remember, can create vessel clogging plaque, which will cause a heart attack. In MODERATION, bacon can be good
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal because it's a good source of carbs, it has plenty of fiber, and it has whole grains.
    Haha I love bacon but rarely eat it. The only time I get any form of dizziness is when I just finish working out and have nothing left in me, but I replenish with protein within an hour or so!

Nothing wrong with oatmeal or bacon or eggs. Have you tried cooking oatmeal with almond butter? Then add berries.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

Don't worry about the oatmeal...unless you are eating the whole container at once! I make oatmeal muffins every week to have on hand.

A strip of bacon won't kill you as long as you are not eating a pound of it every day.

I eat pizza and still lose weight...I am just cautious about what kind it is. I have switched to thin crust and mostly vegetable ones but occasionally have a slice of pepperoni...I just watch my portion control and if it will fit in to my daily allowance.

In other words...don't feel as if you have to give everything up...just figure out how much you can eat of something...make sure that most of your food is giving your the nutrients that you need.

You are eighteen...don't make yourself miserable...enjoy your life...you can still lose the weight...just maybe a little slower than what you would like. Set you calories at a level that you can be comfortable with and still lose .5lb to a 1lb a week.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The argument that cholesterol and saturated fat causes heart attacks has been debunked. High-sugar diets are what raise the risk of heart disease.

Sadly our society are being brainwashed by bureaucracy.
  • missriver0601
    missriver0601 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They're right. Bacon killed my grandfather. He ate 1/2 pound to a pound a day and it took him out....at 97 years of age.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Bacon can be healthy, but it can also be unhealthy. It depends on if it's microwaved versus fried in oil, turkey bacon versus pork, etc.

Candied bacon, bacon dipped in chocolate, bacon cup and pancakes with embedded bacon -- yummy. Bacon is an essential food group!
  • aless820
    Options
    Trust me, I love my fair share of crispy bacon!

Everything is okay to eat in moderation. my favorite word:)