Can I gain muscle on a cal deficit during fat loss?

Options
I'm really hoping to build muscle while also losing fat weight. Since I've started doing strength training, I've been trying to up my protein intake and I've come to the conclusion that I won't be able to lose weight like I have been (2lbs a week) if I want to consume enough protein because the foods with protein in them contain so many calories. I could probably do it if I replaced meals with protein bars and shakes, but really I don't think that's reasonable for me personally.

I'm 5'8" and 192 lbs. My goal is 140-150 lbs weight range.I've been told I should eat my weight in protein grams, is this right? My net calories are between 1300 and 1800 generally. I eat more than that, but I'm in the gym 4-6 days a week and doing 30-60 minutes of cardio each time before strength training activities. My diary is open (I think).

My main protein sources are things like chili, Ensure Protein scoops, and Pure Protein bars. Please feel free to suggest other things that contain good amounts of protein that I can eat on the go (work and full-time school happening over here).

Looking for ideas. I don't think I can really build much muscle on a deficit, but I still want to lift while losing fat because I want to be toned, not "skinny-fat".

Replies

• kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Well, looking at your diary, you eat a LOT of fast food. Perhaps you could focus on eating clean while strength training. I realize that time is a factor, but you can make grilled chicken and vegetables with whole grain rice in 30 minutes. That is just about the same amount of time that it takes to go get a fast food dinner. I too am trying to keep or increase muscle while losing weight. It's slow, but it's working for me. (P90X3 every day and eating at a 500 calorie deficit)
  • DP325i
    DP325i Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Part of weight loss is muscle gain if you're exercising, which is why the scale typically shows gains at the start of any weight loss regiment. The more muscle you're building, the higher your metabolism will be, the more weight lost.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You'll have more room for healthy food if you limit your fast food to an occasional thing rather than a daily thing.
  • mufamuscles
    Options
    You CANNOT build muscle mass while eating at a deficit. Period. No matter where the calories are coming from (high protein vs not enough protein, clean foods vs. fast food, etc). It's just a biological fact. A surplus of calories are required to assemble the molecular building blocks of muscle.

You can certainly make strength gains, but you just can't increase the amount of muscle in your body while eating at a deficit. If you are gaining weight on a deficit (overall from week to week, not just normal daily fluctuations), it could be either fat or muscle or both but it means that you are NOT actually maintaining a deficit.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You'll get like, your noob gains if you start lifting and you're new to it. I did anyway at a deficit. But with serious muscle building you gotta eat at a surplus, good carbs and good protein. Here's a good place to start: http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

If you want protein ideas, look at my diary, it's open. I eat like a beast an I've been over 200g on protein the past few days, lol. I lift heavy and am currently on a deficit.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    This is a controversial topic, even among noted weight lifters. Lots of people disagree on this topic. Personally, I think the body is perfectly capable of using stored excess calories (fat) for use in building muscle. It doesn't really matter. Just work your body, while reducing excess fat. What emerges will be beautiful.
  • jazzcatastrophe
    jazzcatastrophe Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You CANNOT build muscle mass while eating at a deficit. Period. No matter where the calories are coming from (high protein vs not enough protein, clean foods vs. fast food, etc). It's just a biological fact. A surplus of calories are required to assemble the molecular building blocks of muscle.

You can certainly make strength gains, but you just can't increase the amount of muscle in your body while eating at a deficit. If you are gaining weight on a deficit (overall from week to week, not just normal daily fluctuations), it could be either fat or muscle or both but it means that you are NOT actually maintaining a deficit.

^This. However, lifting heavy and eating enough protein will help you maintain the muscle that you already have, making your weight loss come more from fat than from muscle.

Some ideas for protein on the go: tinned tuna, greek yogurt, pre-made little egg/egg white "muffins" that you can throw in a ziploc bag
  • jaiblevins
    Options
    Basically, what everyone is saying, is you have to FEED muscles in order to gain muscles! It's science. I have just finished a serious weight and fat reduction, after eating at a deficit for several months. Now, I am moving into a muscle building phase, and the KEY is choosing the right foods. Just because you are increasing your calorie intake, doesn't mean increasing the CRAP you eat. Like one of the other commenters said, occasional fast food, is ok. Everyday, not so much!. I have found the best way fo me to get good calories, has been things like, whey protein shakes with lots of fruit, greek yogurt, and oats, in a blender. It's delicious, takes about 3 minutes, and is more then 400 calories, and more than 30g of protein. do 2 of those a day, a protein bar for a snack, 3 eggs, 3 slices of turkey bacon, and 1 small potato for breakfast, 6-8 oz of Grilled Chicken, or Ground turkey, some brown rice, and at least 2 servings of vegetables for dinner, and you will be consuming plenty of calories, as well as, protein, to build muscle mass. Don't worry about your fat loss. As long as you keep working out, especially if you're lifting heavy, you will burn fat, because muscles increase metabolism, and heavy lifting leads to afterburn, as well!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    Part of weight loss is muscle gain if you're exercising, which is why the scale typically shows gains at the start of any weight loss regiment. The more muscle you're building, the higher your metabolism will be, the more weight lost.
    Unfortunately not true. It's highly improbable for people to build muscle on a calorie deficit since the balance of energy is in the negative. Very hard to improbable to build muscle in a catabolic state. There are exceptions, but even then the muscle gain is minimal and usually not significant enough to be noticed.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition