Gaining Muscle?

Options
Ok so today i feel a bit discouraged I have been on my workout plan for a month now and in the first two weeks i seem to loose alot of weight. The problem was I had some cheap *kitten* scales and when i stepped on them they said something different every time like it would say 71.2 kgs then 5 mins later say something wildly different. So two weeks ago I bought some weight watchers scales pricey ones and it said the same thing every time so i knew it was working. So then it said I weighed 68.8 kgs now its saying 71.6 kgs two weeks later.

So yes I have been calculating nd weighing everything i eat accurately for fat loss i would be at 1800 cals a day for extreme fat loss 1300 cals a day for my height weight age etc my average calories per day is 1431 I am in a deficit of 3500-4031 cals per week.

I think I may be gaining muscle my triceps no longer jiggle and i have muscle definition in my back I am weight training 3 times a week and cardio 3 times a week been very consistent also my quads are much harder I can actually see the muscle now and the skin on my thighs are much tighter too and my cellulite has dramatically reduced but im not loosing weight on the scales?

I checked my waist and my thigh and hip measurement its the same as it was 2 weeks ago the thing is i look taller because my sore looks smaller how can i look smaller but not be smaller and actually be heavier than i was its just nuts.

So please dont tell me to up my calories or to reduce them im almost 6 ft i know exactly what i need and I am following a plan I am wanting comments form people with experience in this issue who have done weight training and have gained muscle weight etc I want encouragement and facts not alot of confusion please. :)

On a side note i think i have had a bit too much salt so I am aware it may also been fluid retention so on that note does anyone have any tips on what to take to get out water weight?

Also i live in QLD Australia its bloody hot here and when i workout im completely soaking in sweat so i have been eating natural sea salt crisps like 3 times a week as MFP was saying my salt intake was very low and i was feeling dizzy and light headed so perhaps i had too much salt in the end i dunno im tired and over it today would like some good advice and encouragement really.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    If you have just started this new exercise in the last month it is probably water and glycogen in the muscles...not muscle gain.

It is very hard to gain muscle on a deficet and typically only happens as a newb lifter or if you are extremely obese.

Give it a couple weeks and if you are still up...then have a look at your diet because that's where weight loss comes from...your diet.
  • the_summer_belle
    the_summer_belle Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am a newbie lifter but on not extremely obese trying to loose the last 5kgs perhaps its a platue ill push harder clean my diet up further and see what happens in two weeks from now.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    You won't gain at a deficit and if you could even gain muscle it wouldn't be that much in two weeks.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You need to give it more time. I wasn't seeing any serious results until I was about 2 months into my routine.