biking etiquette

Options
Lisah8969
Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
I recently bought a bike after probably not riding one for about 25 years or more. I love riding it on the weekends and have different routes and places that I go. Yesterday I was riding on the sidewalk in my neighborhood. The roads don't have bike lanes so I ride on the sidewalk. The sidewalk has a curb to the street on one side and a hill on the other side. I was coming up behind a kid on a skateboard who had turned around a few seconds ago so he knew I was coming up behind him. I yelled "passing on your left" as I was coming up behind him ( he was closer to the right edge of the sidewalk) and I must have startled him and he turned to the left. I jumped off the bike and he jumped off the skateboard. No collision, we both apologized and went on. Then I started thinking about what is the proper way to pass someone on the sidewalk.

Of course, shortly after this, I come up behind a woman who is wearing those big spring shoe things (I don't know what the real name is for them) and bouncing down the center of the sidewalk. I also see that she is listening to music. I really don't want to startle this woman, so I start yelling a little farther away to give her plenty of time to move to the side, I yell "passing on your left" and she does nothing. I do it again with the same no response. By this time, I am really close and I just yell "hello" this time and I do startle her and she jumps to the left in front of me. I know "hello" was probably not the right thing to say, but I really needed to get her attention, Again, I got lucky and no collision, but I could tell she was pissed at me.

What I want to know is what is the proper etiquette for this. I know we both have the same right to use the sidewalk. I know I pay attention to my surroundings when biking and when I am running. Should I just have to slow down and walk my bike until the person notices that I am there and moves or until there is a good space to pass? Please help.

Replies

• lilpinkdresses
    Options
    i'm not sure where you live and if you're biking in a residential neighborhood but I bike in San Francisco and it's illegal for adults to ride in the sidewalk. http://www.sfbike.org/?sidewalks I think it depends on where you're biking.

You may want to google bike laws in your city or ask neighbors or other fellow cyclists you see about proper etiquette for where you live.
  • Deestrong68
    Deestrong68 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thats the proper way for Bike Paths in Cities that have them Is Passing on your Left.

I too have startled a few joggers that have their ear buds in, but thats all you can do is announcing on your left.

I would venture to the low traffic streets, too much of a chance for accidents when crossing streets from Sidewalks. At least on the street most everybody follows the same set of rules.

Keep On Pedaling what ever you do !!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Riding on sidewalks is not recommended for the reasons you've found out. Paths are fine, and you should pass on the left as you tried to do. Otherwise, I suggest riding in the street for your safety and those around you.
  • tulip_in_a_cup
    tulip_in_a_cup Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Bicycling is very popular in my town! We also call out "on your left" when passing. As far as residential areas, it's acceptable here to share the road with cars. Enjoy! I sure do love my bicycle :)
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Bikes are not suppose to be on the sidewalk... They are considered a 'vehicle', Cars are suppose to give you space and you take the road. In fact, cars are suppose to give you as much space as a fellow car, tho way too frequently they squeeze you in when passing. But the truth is, you are not suppose to be on the sidewalk in any case.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Firstly, kids are morons. Don't trust anyone from 4-17 to make any sort of rational movements. Those high school kids like to play chicken. Ive hit them.

Riding on a sidewalk is a bad idea if you're going much faster than ~10mph and you should try to ride paths or roads if you can. Then again, some places are extremely dangerous on the road (Like Arizona, where everyone drives like a moron cuz there's so few police on the roads)

Lastly, be careful with runners. They have the right of way and you do not. Pedestrians trump cyclists trump vehicles. My worst close call was on a bike path when a jogger decided to "bust a U" right as I was passing him at ~30mph. I announced but he turned left and jogged in the left lane towards me (heading back home I assume). This sorta crazy bad luck can and will happen. Its your responsibility to expect the worst and be prepared for it.

I pass young children at like 5mph or less and I give them a lot of room. I will slow from a top gear sprint to slowly stroll by them.

All in all, you messed up if you hit a pedestrian no matter how dumb what they're doing is. You should be riding defensively.

Ride safe and watch out for, ummm,, everyone.

ETA: Going in the grass gets me some strange looks but I do it when the situation is confusing (multiple staggering stoned kids).... I cant tell u how many times Ive said "on your left" and had the group sprawl across the whole path, at which point I yell "ummmm.. middle". Thats all those young adults.

I think its rude to pass other cyclists at an intersection, on a bridge, or at a stop sign crossing. I had some guy try to blow by me and hit me (while stopped) at a stop sign and he thought it was my fault. The cleats came off.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    What all of the posters said is correct. Bicycles are considered vehicles and should be in the road. However, you did the right thing calling out on your left. It may be vary from city/municipality, but typically skateboarders aren't allowed on sidewalks either.

search on codes/laws governing cycling in your area to know your rights and responsibilities on the road. Are there any bike clubs in your area? clubs have rides organized by duration and difficulty, and it's a great way to meet people, learn about bike repair, etc'?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It's easy, stay off the sidewalks.....they're for pedestrians. In Florida (and many other jurisdictions) it's both illegal and dangerous to operate a vehicle (your bike) on the sidewalk. Hit a pedestrian and you are at fault.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    In the UK it's illegal to ride a bike on the pavement (sidewalk).
    In a few cases I will for safety or to let others vehicle and so on, but I won't expect other users of the pavement to move for me if I'm doing so.
    When it's specifically a shared use with cyclists and the pedestrians are on the cyclists bit, then it's a different matter - would routinely lock the rear wheel up and slide up to parents who were letting their toddlers amble over the cycle bit. Rare that they actually got the idea that 100kg at 15mph could actual be a very real danger to their kid however.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I've ran into this problem too. We have a very nice public trail (for walking, running, biking) ***that I RIDE my BIKE on. It's pretty wide to accommodate for everyones choice of activity. I say "on your left" when I am biking and sometimes people move, some are jamming to music and can't (won't move as they can't hear) sometimes I startle them and feel bad. I like the slow walkers who are so oblivious because they're texting. :grumble:

One time a group of women were walking, 4, 2 with dogs. No music. I said "on your left" a couple times, very loudly. They didn't move. Almost ran into one as I had to venture into the grass, cut back over to the trail, about ran over one of the dogs on a very long leash. Another favorite are the wide strollers, like 2-3 across and a group of people who hog the whole trail. Sorry, that's annoying too. :yawn:

Another beef, the lazy *kitten* dog walkers who let their dogs SH-T on the trail and DON'T clean it up. Ugh, pisses me off. :explode:
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I know it may be illegal to ride on the sidewalk in Fl, but I do it, because I would rather do something illegal than be dead. Saying that, you could always get a horn (my son loves to use his), and I always go around pedestrians, even if I have to go on the street for a time or on the grass. Many people are listening to their phones/music so can't hear you when you say anything.

See if there are bike paths in your area. I finally went on the West Orange Trail yesterday (a 22 mile paved trail in Orange County) and it was a beautiful ride. You still have to avoid pedestrians and dogs.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Bikes do not belong on sidewalks, period. You are being a menace to the folks legally using the sidewalks (calling "on your left" most likely forces people onto private property), but your bike is a completely legal vehicle to use the road. Buck up and get a little rearview mirror for your helmet and a flashy light.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Bikes do not belong on sidewalks, period.
    Not sure why we care about you being on your period ;).

My dad was killed cycling on the road when I was 11. Pretty damn devastating affect on my life - I had chosen to live with him when my parents split, too.
    I can well understand people wanting to not be cycling on the road. (He had mirrors on it too.)
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Saying "On your Left" is the proper way to pass but you really shouldn't be on the sidewalks. Where I live has a good number of bike paths and where there are none, I generally jump out into the road.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Ok....I guess I get that I shouldn't be on the sidewalk. It's just that in one week, I heard news stories about 5 people getting hit by cars on their bikes. I live in a very populated area. I will check to see if there are bike paths nearby. On Sundays I ride around this one commercial area that has almost zero traffic on Sunday and that is really nice.

Thanks for your help!
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Ride on the road. You also might get a bell to ring to let people know you are there.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    What I want to know is what is the proper etiquette for this. I know we both have the same right to use the sidewalk.

Actually, if you're in the US, no, you don't. Bikes belong in the street.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Sidewalks are for pedestrians. Keep your bike on the road on the shoulder.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    It does depend on where you live. In many places around here, especially in more populated areas, it is illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk.

Bikes are supposed to be on the road and follow the same rules of the road as other traffic (which of course a LOT of bicyclists don't do in my area); this includes STOPPING at a red light and NOT continuing through an intersection on a red light. I can't tell you how many times I have almost hit someone on a bike who blows through red lights!
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Please don't ride your bike on the sidewalk!! It isn't safe. You should be on the shoulder of the road and you should obey all traffic laws (including stopping at lights, etc.). I know it can be a little daunting at first, especially if you haven't ridden a bike in a while, but the road is where you belong.

It's great that you want to follow bike etiquette! Please stay in the road or on bike paths, and follow all traffic rules!!!