Kidney Bean Ideas?

Options
Rage_Phish
Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
I accidentally bought 2 cases of kidney beans (I'm not a huge fan of them) thinking they were black beans.

Who has suggestion on tasty ways to prepare these?

Thanks!

Replies

• toomanireasons
    Options
    I love to rinse and drain them and use for salad toppings, a little fiber and protein.
  • Snooozie
    Snooozie Posts: 3,447 Member
    Options
    all time fav..... mash em up and mix with salsa - spread onto a tortilla and sprinkle with green onions and a little cheese... or whatever your fancy - fold in half and either cook in a non stick pan flipping each side after crispy or in the oven under broiler...... top with more salsa and a little sour cream and voila... instant quesaillas and tastes fab!! I even did some on the bbq last summer for some appys and even the kids loved em:bigsmile: Quick easy and yummy filled fibre goodness!

also make a batch of your favourite chili and throw in a few cans then freeze into small portions.... quick and easy lunch to nuke or use one bowl as a dip for nachos or for a snack anytime
  • Rage_Phish
    Options
    damn why didnt i think of chili
  • Pintado
    Pintado Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Mexican cuisine will be your best friend! Refried beans for tacos, beans and rice for a quick dinner. You can substitute kidney beans for black beans in recipes too..
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Mix em up with corn kernals and minced onion and some vinaigrette for a bean salad :)
  • keepongoingnmw
    keepongoingnmw Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    As a snack I sometimes add lime juice chilli powder and salt.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I was thinking chili too. Also three bean salad, bean dip, soups? I will post some recipes too.

Wendy's Chili
    Soup Spice Everything Nice
    Serves 4

Ingredients

Drizzle of olive oil (about 1 Tbsp.)
    1 lb. lean ground beef
    1 (15 oz.) can of diced tomatoes (liquid included)
    1 (15 oz.) can of red kidney beans (liquid drained)
    1 (15 oz.) can of pinto beans (liquid drained)
    1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
    1 small onion, diced
    1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies (with liquid)
    1 rib celery, chopped
    2 Tbsp. chili powder
    1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
    1 tsp. kosher salt, or to taste
    1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
    1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
    1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    1 cup water

Directions

Heat a Dutch oven to medium high heat. Drizzle with olive oil and crumbled ground beef into the pot. Brown beef over medium heat breaking into small pieces with a spoon. When beef is brown, add the remaining ingredients stirring to combine thoroughly. Over medium heat, bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, and continue simmering covered 50−60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve and enjoy!
  • dklibert
    Options
    Tortilla Pie
    Servings: 4

12 oz drained canned red kidney beans
    1/4 cup [4 oz can] drained diced green chili peppers
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1 Tbsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp oregano leaves
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp hot sauce
    Dash ground cumin
    4 corn tortillas [6 inch diameter each]
    4 oz sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 400° F. In medium bowl, using the back of a fork, mash kidney beans to a paste; add chili peppers, onion, and seasonings and mix well. Set aside.

Break each tortilla in half; on baking sheet of sheet of foil bake tortilla halves until crisp, about 2 minutes. Remove from oven but do not turn oven off.

Arrange baked halves, curved side out and overlapping, around edge of 8 inch pie plate; spread kidney bean mixture evenly over tortillas, leaving a tortilla border all the way around. Sprinkle mixture with cheese and bake until cheese is melted and pie is hot, about 15 minutes.

Each serving is equivalent to: 2-1/2 Protein Exchanges; 1 serving Bread Exchange; 1/4 Vegetable Exchange

Per serving: 266 calories, 15 g protein, 11 g fat, 30 g carbohydrate, 620 mg sodium. 30 mg cholesterol.
  • dklibert
    Options
    Vegetable Tomato Soup

Ingredients

1 26 oz can Del Monte Garlic and herb Chunky Spaghetti Sauce
    2 14.5 oz cans Italian Stewed Tomatoes
    2 15 oz cans Kidney Beans, drained
    1 32 oz box of beef broth or beef stock
    1 (1 oz) package of Dry Ranch Dressing Mix
    1 lbs package frozen mixed vegetables
    3 Tbsp. sugar

Heat spaghetti sauce, stewed tomatoes and beef broth until hot. Add the frozen mixed vegetables and bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for about 15 mins. Add the kidney beans and dry ranch dressing mix, cook for 5 more mins and add sugar. Continue to cook for 15 mins or until vegetables are tender.

Or throw everything in the crock-pot and cooked on low for about 5 hours.
  • dklibert
    Options
    I use one can each green, wax, kidney and garbanzo beans.

3 or 4 BEAN SALAD
    (OR AS MANY DARN BEANS AS YOU LIKE!!)

3 15 ounce cans GREEN GIANT THREE BEAN SALAD drained
    1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (aka chickpeas), drained and rinsed
    1 cup apple cider or red wine vinegar
    ½ red onion, chopped (or more, depends on size of onion)(you can also use a plain yellow onion if you don't have red)
    ¾ cup Splenda
    ½ cup canola oil or vegetable oil
    2 garlic gloves minced, or squeezed in press
    1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
    ½ tsp. Cajun seasoning salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    2 Tbs. or up to ¼ cup minced flat-leaf parsley (fresh)

In a large bowl, combine the beans and the onion. In a small saucepan, stir the Splenda, vinegar, oil, garlic and salt together and then bring to a simmer. Pour the hot liquid over the beans. Season with salt, pepper and parsley. Marinate the beans at room temperature for 1 hour, tossing several times. Refrigerate. Serve cold or at room temp. This lasts a long time in refrigerator.

It makes about 12-14 1/2 cup servings
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    chili
    soups
    bean salad
    drain and rinse and throw on your regular tossed salad
  • dklibert
    Options
    I don't have the recipe but my friend makes a layered taco salad with beans and Catalina dressing. I am sure there are lots of recipes out there.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I too was thinking of bean salad.. Low in calories and very filling. I also put the bean salad on lettuce, with a sliced boiled egg... Yum
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Chilli! Or fajitas/burritos, Mexican food in general :)
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Kidney bean curry
    I have tried this and I liked it
    http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/02/red-kidney-bean-curry/
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,733 Member
    Options
    As I am not crazy about the texture of kidney beans I like to blitz them into a dip. Chilli flavorings work well: garlic, tomato paste, onion, coriander. Good on crackers or raw veg such as green beans or carrot batons.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/red-kidney-bean-dip-recipe.html

On a similar note, you can blitz them into a soup

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/spicykidneybeansoup_84854
  • Rage_Phish
    Options
    Well I are some yesterday. Not sure why I thought I hated them so much. They tasted basically like black beans, which I love. Should be easy to power through these 2 cases
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Chili of course and soups! Sorry....boring ideas..

I'll be checking back for more ideas.
  • fluffhead123
    Options
    SPICY BEAN BURGERS

Serves 2 people

2 large cans of red kidney beans
    Half a carrot
    1 onion
    chilli powder, fresh chillies (up to you how spicy you want them)
    fry light or drop of olive oil.

Boil the beans until soft and mash them
    add in grated carrot and grated onion
    add spice

form into 4 patties/burger shapes, pop into the frying pan with fry light or olive oil and brown both sides and serve with a salad. They are very filling and very tasty . My favs. You can add in what you want I suppose, maybe spring onion instead of onions and whatever spices.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it but you can make them into a tortilla dough. Make a curry.