Advice on buying a food scale

Options
In my continuing efforts to eat healthier & lose weight, I'm trying to do what I can to control portion sizes, and still manage calorie intake, fats etc but I'm no good at just being able to look at food in a bowl or on a plate and say "yeah that's 100g" or whatever...so my question is what's the best type of scale I should be looking at buying to help portion out food?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Digital scale with the tare feature that can do both ounces and grams. Doesn't need to be fancy.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I have a 10$ digital scale and it's all I need. Eyeballing is still important if you eat out a lot, so I try to eyeball my portions then check with the scale. Ok, I'm not doing this everyday, only when I have time to waste ;)
  • darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/salter-1052.html

Bought this today for 30 bucks at London Drugs
  • SweetTea111104
    SweetTea111104 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I am interested in this as well. Is there a good scale for a good price that any one can suggest in the US?
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I have an Ozeri Pro I got on Amazon for about $15. It works great!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I paid $12 for mine at Walmart - it is digital and weighs in grams and ounces - works perfectly fine - no need to break the bank
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    digital scale. I bought mine at walmart less than $20. Measures in grams/ounces, has a tare function. There are two other measures it does but I don't use them.

Food scale = life saver!
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I like my OXO, but it's similar to the rest grams/ounces and tare.
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Taylor scale. I got mine at Target. It has grams, oz, lbs, , goes up to 11 lbs and I think it was less than $20
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I bought this one from Amazon last month and really like it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004164SRA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have a digital Eat Smart scale from Amazon I paid around $25 for and we also have a Mainstays digital scale from Walmart that I paid under $20 for and I prefer the Walmart scale honestly.. easier to read, larger platform for your plate/bowl, easier to clean. Wish I'd thought to look at Walmart in the first place.
  • ravenribbs
    ravenribbs Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The brand name of mine is Salter. It was a gift so don't know the price. It has a nice blue digital display and can measure grams, pounds & ounces, fluid ounces, and milliliters. It is pretty black glass, so not ugly on the counter.
  • SewSweets
    SewSweets Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You can get a great digital scale on Amazon for around $10 that will tell you measurements in g, kg, oz & lb
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I can't eyeball portion sizes to save my life. I have a digital scale. Digital is more accurate, and a zero function makes it way easier to use, i.e. put plate on scale, zero it, put food on plate, log food, zero it, put another kind of food on the plate, log it, zero it, put other stuff on the plate etc etc etc

another thing I'd recommend is get one that has normal batteries. My old food scale had those round flat batteries and it's hard to find places that sell them. so get one that uses regular AA batteries or simialr so you can just buy batteries whenever
  • carolsteele45
    carolsteele45 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I too bought mine off Ebay
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310695638326?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
    Very, very pleased with them - weighs in grams, ounces or pounds and will tare the container for you at the touch of a button - then touch the tare button again - it will zero, so that you can add other ingredients to the container.
    I love mine - far better than my old scales and just £7.99
  • ncwolf70
    ncwolf70 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for all the feedback & suggestions.
    I decided to go with the Ozeri Pronto http://www.amazon.ca/Ozeri-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen-Elegant/dp/B004101GQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393870456&sr=8-1&keywords=kitchen+scale
    It has basic functions, can manage a considerable amount of weight, was reasonably priced & uses AAA batteries which are easy to find in almost any store.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have a decent food scale that I got at Target a long time ago - however my husband got a TINY little scale - does grams to .000 and ounces at Harbor Freight (tool store) for $10 - that he needed for work. It's about the size of my cell phone and I think I want to get one and keep it in my purse because it is sooo little (and crazy accurate)

Both have Tare feature so I can set a small plastic bowl on it when I weigh stuff.