water

Options
DJJW
DJJW Posts: 519 Member
Probably a question asked hundred of times, but i'd really like to know..Why drink tons of water? I am drinking it. I'm not arguing with the fact that it's good for you, but why?

Replies

• ktblum
    ktblum Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A few things that I've heard about water...

Dehydration causes hunger
    It's a good appetie suppressant
    It flushes out toxins
    And it keeps your body in peak performance
    There is no crap in it. It's 100% natural.
  • Uptopargolf
    Options
    Probably a question asked hundred of times, but i'd really like to know..Why drink tons of water? I am drinking it. I'm not arguing with the fact that it's good for you, but why?

I wish I could find the link I had.

Yahoo! Health recently had a article with a study that was just done that concluded drinking water before meals helped people eat less and lose more weight. That was the theory that it keeps you full. However up until now there weren't many studies done on it. I should add that the study concluded it only worked for people over 32 years of age. But did not have an impact on weight less in people younger than that.

Besides that, it is necessary to stay hydrated. If you ever feel thirsty, you are not drinking enough water!
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Oooh and I have always heard: the more water you drink the thinner you are.

Drinking lots of water causes you to lose water weight :]
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Our bodies use water in so many ways - if you don't have enough water, it can't run efficiently as possible. Think of it as oil in a car - you can run the car low on oil, but over time it will do damage, and you won't likely get as good of gas mileage/performance as you could otherwise.

http://www.experiencelifemag.com/issues/june-2010/wellness/drink-to-your-health.php#Why Water Matters

That is a great article explaining many of the ways our body uses water - check it out... some of the uses may surprise you!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Something from one of my nutrition classes this semester.

8 Facts about Water

1. 75% of Americans are chronically dehydrated.
    2. 37% of Americans have a thirst mechanism so weak that it is mistaken for hunger.
    3. Even mild dehydration will slow one's metabolism. (2% dehydration)
    4. One glass of water will shut down hunger pains.
    5. Lack of water will increase daytime fatigue.
    6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water could significantly ease back and joint pain for 80% of sufferers.
    7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on computer screens, etc.
    8. Five glasses of water a day can decrease colon cancer risk by 45%, decrease breast cancer risk by 79%, and decrease bladder cancer risk by 50%.